Author Topic: X2 belt drive conversion  (Read 78157 times)

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
Re: X2 belt drive conversion
« Reply #75 on: June 26, 2009, 08:35:57 AM »
Nice job there Tim and thanks again for all the piccys! I can`t believe the belts got to you so fast, must only been 12 hours from sending to receiving!!  Cheers to Eric for sorting them out for us.

I`ve got the base plate sorted out now and I just have the motor plate to complete and then I`ll be able to try it out as well.

Great to see it up and running  - you have enthused me to try and get mine finished over the next few days however your, and now my Elmer #25 build is distracting me....lol I think I`m just copying you :)

Was the motor OK to rewire - is it obvious?

Chris

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
  • Portadown, Northern Ireland
    • My Photo website
« Reply #76 on: June 26, 2009, 08:57:30 AM »
Tim,

Maybe you should knock up one of these.

Tramming then becomes a joy rather than a PITA.

http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=822.0

or Stews smaller version

http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=1077.0

John

I remember reading those threads, I think I'm going to make one, a little one. (perhaps a slightly smaller version of the smaller version)

Was the motor OK to rewire - is it obvious?

The re-wireing is unbelievably easy. When you open up the lid of the little box on the left of the mill you will see that the wires from the motor are colour coded brown for +,blue for - and green for earth. Just keep the earths linked as before and wire the brown to blue. All the wires are connected with spade terminals so it is really easy to re-wire.

Just a note of warning. The motors on the X2's are DC and that is why it is both very easy to reverse the direction, and also safe to reverse the wiring. DO NOT TRY THIS ON OTHER PIECES OF EQUIPMENT UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING ( sorry to shout, but electricity can kill you very quickly ) if in any doubt get someone who is qualified to do it for you.

Remember what Mick the electrician says, Green to Brown, Brown to Blue, Blew to bits.  :zap:

Edit: I've since realised that there is no need to reverse the motor's direction with this belt drive conversion so disregard the above details

Tim
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 09:15:17 AM by spuddevans »
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe  -  MI0TME

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #77 on: June 26, 2009, 08:58:09 AM »
Tim,

Nice job there.  :thumbup:

This is the first I've heard of the motor needing to be reversed from all the others that have done this mod. Don't recall if any mentioned needing to reverse the motor. It makes sense though since your going from gears to belts.

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
    • My Photo website
« Reply #78 on: June 26, 2009, 09:12:13 AM »
Tim,

Nice job there.  :thumbup:

This is the first I've heard of the motor needing to be reversed from all the others that have done this mod. Don't recall if any mentioned needing to reverse the motor. It makes sense though since your going from gears to belts.

Bernd

:doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:

You know, it's only when you try things out you find out how just thinking things out in your head can catch you out. I just went out and turned on the mill and, you guessed it, it was turning backwards. I was sure that I needed the motor to run in reverse to make up for the change from gears to a belt, but there you go.

I'm really glad you posted that Bernd, I'll go and edit my previous post to correct my mistake.

So, to sum up, you dont need to reverse the motor's direction when making this belt drive conversion.

(a rather redder faced) Tim
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 09:15:48 AM by spuddevans »

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #79 on: June 26, 2009, 09:15:26 AM »
Red Faced Tim,

So your saying you don't have to reverse the motor?  :scratch:

Now you got me confused. (doesn't take much  :lol: )

Bernd

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
    • My Photo website
« Reply #80 on: June 26, 2009, 09:27:41 AM »
Red Faced Tim,
So your saying you don't have to reverse the motor?  :scratch:

That is correct. I reversed my motor and now have a mill that spins backwards. ( I just ran out and checked after reading your post about not having heard of others having to reverse their motors)

My 1st job later on this afternoon will be to restore the wiring to the original state.

So just to repeat, there is no need to reverse the motor with this belt drive conversion.

I'm not sure where I had got the idea that it needed to be reversed, probably the ramblings of a deranged fool ( me )

Tim

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #81 on: June 26, 2009, 09:43:45 AM »
Tim,

Here's an idea you might want to try. Since your going to have to open that box again and change the wires back, have you thought of maybe installing a reversing switch? It sure would come in handy when tapping.

Just a thought.  :med:

Bernd

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
    • My Photo website
« Reply #82 on: June 26, 2009, 10:22:04 AM »
Tim,

Here's an idea you might want to try. Since your going to have to open that box again and change the wires back, have you thought of maybe installing a reversing switch? It sure would come in handy when tapping.

Just a thought.  :med:

Bernd

That's a good thought  :thumbup: I may not get doing that today, but I think that'll be going on the growing list of things to do  :proj:

Tim