Author Topic: threaded 'dead center'?  (Read 7322 times)

Offline rvt

threaded 'dead center'?
« on: June 26, 2010, 01:52:47 PM »
I have two chucks that I'd like to use for the tailstock on my axminster sieg C1 mini lathe. They both seem to be the same thread at the other end. Is it possible to buy a simple threaded 'pin' of sorts that would fit inside the tailstock?

I realise a chuck made to go directly into the tailstock is not expensive, but I think if i have two spare chucks I might as well use these.

Rob.Wilson

Re: threaded 'dead center'?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2010, 02:39:08 PM »
Hi Rvt

You could tun up a couple of 1MT arbours and thread them to suit your chucks ,,,,,,,,,, if you dont want to make your own MT arbours , then have a look here   http://www.chronos.ltd.uk/acatalog/Chronos_Catalogue_Lathe_Taper_Tooling__70.html   ,,scroll down to SOFT BLANK END ARBOR 1MT TANG END  , only a few quid each ,,, it you dont have a Morse Taper Sleeves- MT1-MT2  (on the same page), i would get one of those too ,, then you can plug the 1MT blank into the 1mt to 2mt and stick it in the lathe head stock socket for machining and threading , that way it will come out concentric  .

Cheers Rob
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 02:41:48 PM by Rob.Wilson »

Offline DMIOM

• Isle of Man
re tailstock chuck arbor
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2010, 02:40:14 PM »
I don't think you should be looking for a dead centre - what you need to do is find out what taper your tailstock is and look for an Arbor - e.g. "MT2 arbor" with a suitable thread for your chuck.

Centres (dead & live) are usually used when turning between centres - a live one incorporates bearings so the 60 degree tip spins with the work, and you don't need to lubricate the tip; a dead centre is more commonly used at the driving end (with dogs) where there is no rotation betwixt the dead centre and the workpiece. The only time I use a dead centre in the tailstock is when I need a a 'half centre' (actually, they're a good bit more than a half!) to allow turning closer to the centre line of the workpiece.

Dave

Offline rvt

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2010, 01:47:15 PM »
All I actually need to use it for is to drill out the center of a very small rod of aluminium. I have no tools for threading either.. so perhaps this is a waste really.. perhaps I should just pick up a chuck made to fit directly into the tailstock that I have.

Thanks for your thoughts & help as always.

Offline Davo J

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2010, 04:31:54 AM »
Hi,
A small piece of HSS with a V ground at the front is all you need for threading. There are no complicated back rake side rake etc Angles just a V, you could even do it with a hand held grinder in a vice if needed. It will either be 60 degrees or 55 degrees depending on the thread the chuck is.
Try it on some scrap first then when you feel confident do the job.
When you pull off your first thread you will wonder what all the worry was about.
Dave

Offline rvt

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2010, 06:54:53 AM »
Okay, I've decided to go the easy route!

Just wondering if someone could help me with compatability?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350278660615&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:GB:1123

Do you know if these will fit the tailstock from an axminster sieg c1? I'm looking at this, which is the official one from axminster: http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-sieg-c1-tailstock-chuck-prod33309/

Cheap you say? lol

Thanks!

Offline kwackers

Re: re tailstock chuck arbor
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2010, 06:59:58 AM »
The only time I use a dead centre in the tailstock is when I need a a 'half centre' (actually, they're a good bit more than a half!) to allow turning closer to the centre line of the workpiece.

Dave
:bang: I never realised that's what they were for! The number of times I've been trying to machine right up to a centre too...  :loco:

Offline John Swift

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2010, 07:15:21 AM »

looking at the photos from both web sites
the only thing i've noticed is the tang may need removing from the set of chucks from proops 

as they say you learn some thing new every day , I have about the half centres

John

Offline rvt

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2010, 09:12:54 AM »
Thanks for your help John. Can you explain more what you mean by that though? I'm not sure what you mean, which part may need to be removed.

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2010, 12:33:55 PM »
If you look at the end of the morse taper, you will see a 'blackened' piece...Usually these chucks are used in a pillar drill where the quill of the drill has a slot machined for a drill drift to assist in removing the chuck..

You may need to remove the tang as it could prevent the drill/taper assembly going 'home' in the  tail stock quill on your C1...

Have a look here: http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue/Chucks/Drill-Chuck-Arbors about third of the page down...
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline John Swift

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2010, 02:38:29 PM »
morse shank drill bits of about 1/2" or larger can fitted directly in a lathe tailstock or drill press without the need of a chuck

If you take a look at  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/file:drill_shank_morse.jpg
you can clearly see the tang is smaller than the morse taper , this  allows for a small amount of damage to the tang

drill press spindles normally have a slot cut into them so you can use a tapered drift to remove them

with hobby lathes like your c1 and my c3 lathe
the barrel on the tailstock is a bit short and has limited travel and would eject the drill bit or chuck to soon

John  

ps      look at the posting        mt#3 x mt#2 adapter mods
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 02:49:21 PM by John Swift »