Author Topic: Who has the messyest shop/garage????  (Read 35976 times)

Offline Jonny

Re: Who has the messyest shop/garage????
« Reply #50 on: November 28, 2010, 08:16:50 PM »

Offline HS93

• In Memoriam
« Reply #51 on: November 29, 2010, 07:52:05 AM »
With the flat six being slung so low down on the Wing, the C of G is also very low, making it ultra stable, so there is very little effort required in riding such a large bike, and because of the way they are made, if they do fall over, they sit an an angle of about 30 degs, resting on the engine bars and running boards (which have replaceable metal wear away slugs fitted underneath, to tell you when you are banking too far). That stops you being crushed underneath, and you can just climb off. You can get them to fall over completely, but it is rather difficult.

Anyway, I think we have hijacked this thread for long enough.

Bogs

this is what happend last time we rode Bikes, you stick to your side car then Bandit can go with you,

ps. how is the window cleaning round going ?
I am usless at metalwork, Oh and cannot spell either . failure

Offline DavidA

« Reply #52 on: December 11, 2010, 02:59:29 PM »

..You know it's bad when it takes you longer to find your tools than to do the work...

I find I become enraged at myself because I know I shouldn't let it happen.  When you know you have a tool,  but can't find it ........  :bang:

Dave.

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #53 on: December 11, 2010, 04:36:44 PM »
I do that literally all of the time. It's getting to the point where, if I don't return a tool to it's proper home immediately after using it, it simply vanishes! Fortunately, it always turns up when you've lost another tool & don't need it any more... but you have to move fast & put it away there & then, or it'll disappear again.

My biggest problem ATM is about 40% of my tools don't actually have a home, so they just migrate around the workshop by a form of Brownian Motion.
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline DavidA

« Reply #54 on: December 12, 2010, 01:42:59 PM »
Jonny,

Looks like the time I cut off my beard. Same colour as well.

AdeV,

There are time when I have given up in frustration due to this and simply not done the job.  But I have seen the light.  My shed is beginning to gain some semblance of order.  Why,  on  clear day I can actually now see the other side.

Dave

Offline Jonny

« Reply #55 on: December 12, 2010, 03:09:39 PM »
Shouldnt have done that Dave, could have got a job as Father Christmas.

I need a conveyor.

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
« Reply #56 on: December 12, 2010, 04:42:18 PM »
I tried to find out what "Brownian Motion" was, so googled it... Still no idea  :loco:  What the hell?  :smart: 

You're simply going to have to dumb it down for the likes of me!  :)

Still, I've seen your shop Ade and could definitely sympathise with you on the losing things in there!!

Ralph.
I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #57 on: December 12, 2010, 06:24:58 PM »
I tried to find out what "Brownian Motion" was, so googled it... Still no idea  :loco:  What the hell?  :smart:  
Ralph.

Haven't heard of it since school 50 years ago, Ralph, when I remember being taught something along these lines:

Brown observed through his microscope that very fine pollen, when scattered on the surface of water, jiggled around. From this, he deduced that the water molecules were constant motion, knocking the pollen grains about.

Good one for the pub quiz!

Andy

Edit: This was 200 years ago, before the existence of molecules was known. So Brown will have observed the motion, but won't have deduced that molecular motion caused it.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 06:36:36 AM by andyf »
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
« Reply #58 on: December 12, 2010, 08:06:48 PM »
Ahh... Becoming clearer... If you read the wickedpedia version it goes all over the place with particle theory and some fella's theorum and stuff about random walking.

I guess that's all about the pollen then... it does also state that but not in such simple terms. I guess some things I just need broken down into bite sized chunks? Well, many things really  ::)

Thanks for that Andy.... Pub quiz indeed, should have been at one tonight. But it all fell through!

Ralph.
I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline DMIOM

• Isle of Man
« Reply #59 on: December 13, 2010, 04:28:29 AM »
......I guess that's all about the pollen then... it does also state that but not in such simple terms. I guess some things I just need broken down into bite sized chunks? Well, many things really  ::)

Well, from that last comment, of needing pollen broken down into bite-sized chunks, an extra-terrestrial reader might infer you were either perhaps a bumblebee or a denizen of Brobdingnag?  ::)

Dave

Offline DavidA

« Reply #60 on: December 13, 2010, 06:59:48 AM »
As it's getting near Christmas let me tell you a true tale that fits in nicely.

Many years ago I used to help out an old mechanic in our town.  His garage was old school and quite messy,  but he was very keen on putting every tool back where it lived after each job.  So we could always find what we needed.
Anyway,  after one particular job the 13 mm deep socket disappeared.  We searched high and low (they denied all knowledge) but it wasn't to be found.  So we had to get out a spare socket.  We looked around off and on for about a week hoping that we would find it in some nook or cranny.  No luck.
Then as I walked in one day I saw the socket.  Right in the middle of a steel topped bench. "I see you found the socket" I said to him.  "Not yet" says he. "looks as if some blighter stole it".  "But it's here, on the bench" Says I.
He came over from the car he was working on and looked at the socket. "It wasn't there half an hour ago,  I was working here".

Very strange.

Dave.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 07:14:57 AM by DavidA »

Offline rleete

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #61 on: December 13, 2010, 09:12:03 AM »
Reminds me of my dad.  Years ago, he lost a 9/16" socket, and constantly asked it we (his sons) had taken it.  We all denied it, but he asked over and over.  One day we all happened to be in Sears, and I suggested we all get him a 9/16" socket.  That Christmas, dad opened 3 presents, all the exact same thing.

Turns out he had found the original about a month before!
Creating scrap, one part at a time

Offline Artie

• Down here in the Aussie sunshine/heat :-)
« Reply #62 on: December 21, 2010, 04:28:06 PM »
The story of the socket reminds me of my new fishing reel... bought a bait caster which cost $330. Took it on the 'boys annual' fishng trip and at pack up time I dismantled all the rods and everyone just grabbed their bits... I dont remember getting my reel..

Got home and thought oh damn Ive left the thing at the river (5 hours away on a dirt road).... so I complained and whined for several months and it was forgotten about.....

Got up one morning and was getting ready for work...sitting right in the middle of the dressing room table is...the reel.....

Of course NO-ONE has any idea how it got there..... It really is great to have mates with a sense of humour.. and house breaking skills (obviously) :lol:
South Wales, wait...NEW South Wales... Batemans Bay.

Offline krv3000

« Reply #63 on: January 09, 2011, 09:11:32 AM »
he is sum pics of my work shop