The Shop > Tools

Steady rest

<< < (4/4)

smthrll:
It looks like this thread has long since gone idle, but if anybody is checking I wonder if you could fill me in on a couple details.   The rest looks solid, and I'd like to eventually have a go at fabricating a smaller one:

-the bolt passes through the tubing and is held by what exactly - is there a threaded sleeve that passes completely through the square tubing
-it looks like a sleeve that passes through some kind of slotted nut  - how does that part work, specifically - is this a custom part or is there a name for that nut/sleeve combo that can be purchased
     -I'd considered just welding a nut to the tubing and using a second one as a jam nut. 
-what is the construction on the bottom side of the square tubing where the bolt exits - some other kind of threaded nut?

I could use some enlightenment.  Thanks,

Rollie

SwarfnStuff:
Rollie,
   If you do a search for fixed steady rest plans you will find more than a few pages to read. If you are referring to the Bolt at the bottom, that goes down to a clamp piece made to suit the underside of your lathe ways. The three that are around the upper section can be threaded through bushes or nuts fixed to the frame in some way. If the frame is of solid construction (Say bar instead of tubing) then it is drilled and tapped to suit your bolts.
  Hopefully this is not as confusing to you as it seems to me reading it back. Do a search and read stuff. There is also a video  here and probably others you could watch.
Seems to me that it's up to your imagination and scrap bin a lot of the time.
John B

smthrll:
Thanks for the pointers.  I had been wondering about those 3 around the upper section.  I'll probably be using the hollow square tubing, and it wouldn't be too hard to weld a threaded bushing into place and then use a nut to secure the bolt/finger.  We'll see what the scrap bin produces.  Good video link.

Rollie

Manxmodder:
There was mention in an earlier post about the size and wall thickness of the steel tubing to be used. My penny worth of advice would be to use as thick a wall section as you can get as this will increase rigidity and provide better dampening characteristics which will prevent any tendency for chattering marks....OZ.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version