Author Topic: Metric Machine Bolt set - any recommendations?  (Read 13780 times)

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
Metric Machine Bolt set - any recommendations?
« on: September 27, 2010, 01:09:11 PM »
Hi, I`m going to be ordering a selection of metric fastenings soon - various sizes and such, but I want machine/cap head bolts. I actually got a decent set from Halfords which were OK but I was wondering if anyone knew any better sets for sale?

Chris

Offline Bluechip

• Madmodder Committee
  • Derbyshire UK
Re: Metric Machine Bolt set - any recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 01:43:12 PM »
Chris

Not quite sure what you mean by 'sets'. I get most of my metric stuff from Rapid, CPC, Farnell. ie usually Pan/CSK  PZD machine screws.

They do have some hex sets, but not many. Ditto cap screws.

Presume you do mean metric hex set screws ?  Bolts have an un-threaded bit. Set screws are threaded up to the head.

Screwfix used to have quite a lot of stainless cap screws but not now I think. Gone down the nick for such items.

Lots of places for metric screws on the WWW, but many have a supply multiple of 2000, a bit OTT even considering the rate at which I lose the sods .. :scratch:

There is a good place for some smaller items on John Somers site ..

http://start-model-engineering.co.uk/resources/nuts-and-bolts/
Link is down the page ... under heading 'Taps & Dies'

Be a bit more specific about what size / head / length ??

Dave BC
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 01:51:58 PM by Bluechip »
I have a few modest talents. Knowing what I'm doing isn't one of them.

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 02:14:57 PM »
Be a bit more specific about what size / head / length ??

That is what I mean by a selection. I can get machine screws from pretty much anywhere online and quite a few places locally but I wanted to order a reasonable number of different sizes and length.

I got two packs of these last time and they have served me well but now I`m running out of a lot, infact all the M4 have gone:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_256979_langId_-1_categoryId_165562

Yea, so I can`t be more specific because I`m looking for a selection ideally. You might be right, I may possibly get more for my money buying single bolts to my sizes???  In that halfords selection there is just over 100 screws at £7.99 making that just short of 8p a screw. Maybe that is a decent deal?!

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010, 02:18:49 PM »
Just followed a link from your link and this is exactly what I mean by a kit:

http://www.shop4fasteners.co.uk/acatalog/Socket_Cap_Head_Screws_Fastener_Kit_300_Pieces.asp

May very well go for that one unless anyone can trump it - it is a little more than what I was hoping to spend.

Offline Bluechip

• Madmodder Committee
  • Derbyshire UK
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2010, 02:31:29 PM »
Chris

Oh !! Yup, never saw that  :scratch:

If it suits your requirements, then its OK .. :thumbup:

I usually find that there's not enough of the ones I want, and too damn many of the ones I dont  :(

Bit like a tin of Quality Street ... two days after Christmas, the tin is half full of the round yellow b+ggers, that no-one can chew .. :lol:

Dave BC

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2010, 03:16:35 PM »
I've bought from Screwfix too...bulk packs of various sizes.

I tend to buy what I need from our local hardware trade outlet, buying a little more than I need, seems expensive but does me form time to time...

I guess there isnt a one-for-all shop anymore... :coffee:
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline Bluechip

• Madmodder Committee
  • Derbyshire UK
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2010, 05:12:34 AM »

I guess there isnt a one-for-all shop anymore... :coffee:

Very true John ....  I have used some suppliers in the past ( for work ) who had every size/thread/head/material imagineable ex-stock, but only in horrendous quantities  :scratch:

Chris

Another source I've used .... these folk do assortments I think , although I got specific sizes. Maybe if you work out what you want, they will do a kit for you. Your call, ...

http://www.boltmeup.com/index.asp

Dave BC

Offline jim

if i'd thought it through, i'd have never tried it

Offline HS93

• In Memoriam
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2010, 08:15:37 PM »
I got a lot off this guy when re doing my cnc mill, he does packs of various sizes as well fast delivery.

both the same shop
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/stainlessbolts

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/STAINLESS-STEEL-SET-ALLEN-HEAD-420-PACK-WORKSHOP-DEAL-/150180582739?pt=UK_Campervan_Caravan_Accessories&hash=item22f775d553
peter
I am usless at metalwork, Oh and cannot spell either . failure

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2010, 08:30:01 AM »
Hi

I`ve used one of the links and have found a supplier of bolts in large quantities at decent prices....however, when you add them up it still works out a bit more than I`d hoped for the limited range. They are sold in 100 packs and I`d rather have 50 and a bigger range.

I`ve priced up for 100 of each of the black high tensile to give an idea of what I was thinking.

M3 x 20 = £4.63
M4 x 20 = £3.38
M4 x 35 = £5.08
m5 x 20 = £3.55
M5 x 40 = £5.50
M6 x 20 = £3.55
M6 x 35 = £5.26

Total = £30 + 10 postage = £40

Now I wouldn`t actually mind spend £40 on bolts but I`d prefer fewer of each type and a bigger range, perhaps a few of the Zinc Plates ones as well.

Does anyone fancy a joint order and splitting the pack. Obviously we would have to add another £4 on each to cover the postage of the 50 of each on to you. I mean the example above would work out at £25 for 350 bolts, 50 of each above.

I`m flexable, I`m just after a range. Infact I`d quite like to spend a maximium of £35-40 and get a good range with some nuts and washers. I`d be happy to split the cost of a pack of bigger sizes, M8, M10 and as I said earlier add in some zinc plated ones. Obviously I`ve no nuts or washers in the example above either. 

Anyone interested. I`d be ordering from orbitalfasteners.

Chris

Offline matnewsholme

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2010, 09:28:21 AM »
Chris

Have you considered just buying the longest length you need in each size and then just shortening them when you need a shorter bolt. put a saw cut through one side of a nut, screw bolt into it then clamp nut in 3 jaw and you have a basic collet which will protect threads and grip bolt while you par off to length you need. I know it sound a lot of work but once you get a bit of practice in it takes a lot less time than you would think and means you need to keep a much smaller range of sizes and hence can buy those limited sizes in larger quantities at bigger discounts.

mat

Offline Bogstandard

• Bogs Group
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2010, 03:46:56 PM »
Mat,

That is what I do, but I save the cut off bits for use as studs.

A real cheaspskate in the making.

Bogs
If you don't try it, you will never know if you can do it.

Location - Crewe, Cheshire

Skype - bandit175

Offline matnewsholme

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2010, 04:10:33 PM »
Bogs

I think it was one of your posts I picked the tip up from in the first place :beer:

I keep the cutoffs if they any sensible sort of length too, but even if you dont it makes sense to do it this way just in terms of space saved in storing all the different lengths and the economies of scale you get buying larger quantities of the length you do keep in stock. And it really doesnt take long to shorten them once youve done a few and get the techniques down pat.

Mat

Offline ven

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2010, 04:13:16 PM »
I am sorry to hear that Screwfix aren't doing st st fastenings any more; my last catalogue is their Spring 2010 one, and they are in that. I bought a few packs of cap and hex screws from them and they seemed a reasonable price, if you could avoid postage.
This might be a silly suggestion but you can pick and choose from a number of stalls at Newark Autojumble.  They might not be cheap, I donno, but you can select exactly what you want.  It is an eyeopener to go there!
The Quality Street analogy is exactly right.

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2010, 06:41:06 PM »
It just occurs to me that Rivtex might be a good place to get bolts from in this instance... as far as I know they don't do deliveries, but as they're local to me I can collect & re-bag & post out selections to partakers (plus, natch, I get to partake myself p&p free..)

e.g. I bought a bag of 50 off 6mmx50mm cap-head bolts for about £2.70 the other week.

Chris - let me know if you want to try that route instead. If you want to try Rivtex out for prices, you have to do it the hard way (by phoning them & speaking to a Real Person) - 0151 652 1216. If you want me to try them out, let me know what the package is & I'll get a direct comparison; will also try adding washers/nuts as applicable.
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline bry1975

• http://www.satintime.co.uk
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2010, 10:15:08 AM »
Try this firm in Lincoln very good for Stainless fasteners!

http://www.workshopsupplies.co.uk/contents/en-uk/d2.html

Offline DMIOM

• Isle of Man
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2010, 06:18:44 AM »
..........Another source I've used ........ http://www.boltmeup.com/index.asp .......

Dave BC

Just to add some feedback.  After Dave BC mentioned them, I've recently tried "boltmeup" and have found them exceedingly good. Placed an order for a decent quantity and it was shipped registered/tracked first class post.  Royal Mail are usually very reliable but it hadn't arrived after over a week, despite the tracking the Royal Mail couldn't find what they had done with it, and it was holding up our work on a project.  Lee from "boltmeup" was very helpful and, and after trying to get the Royal Mail to find it, Lee made a special trip to the Post Office to send a duplicate order for g'teed next day delivery, and we're back on track.

So, I'll be going back to use "boltmeup" again.

Dave (IOM)