Author Topic: noisy gear train  (Read 6282 times)

Offline mickn

noisy gear train
« on: October 01, 2010, 08:43:26 PM »
Hi all,
My milling machine is a Chester Champion 20 v. In my opinion not a bad little hobby machine. Alas a few little minus's!!!The gear train on these little Chinese mills is very noisy the culprits are the expensive sacrificial plastic gears.Ok I have got over the expense by making these myself from Delrin. Anyway there are shop built kits out there for similar Chinese built machines but unfortunately none that I know of for Chester. There are people inquiring on the Chester forum for the self same thing.This little vid that I have put on youtube is perhaps an answer. PS this is a temporary lash up to see if my efforts are feasible.Heath and safety might have been horrified but I am in the process of making  proper alumium adjusting plates and guard.
Mick

Offline John Swift

Re: noisy gear train
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 05:14:57 PM »
Hi Mick
is this the kind of thing your looking for    http://www.mini-lathe.com/mini_mill/reviews/Belt_drv/belt_drv.htm

I think there is another version on the net with a toothed timing belt

just found this   http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/projects/X3-CNC/X3_Belt%20Drive%20Mods.pdf

John
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 05:28:18 PM by John Swift »

Offline mickn

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2010, 04:36:27 AM »
Hi John
Yes that was the mod I wanted but Chester did not do a kit. I have since put a new video on showing my new plates and pulleys
( Converting my milling machine from a gear drive to a belt drive) It is so much quieter.
many thanks anyway Mick

Offline John Swift

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2010, 08:22:24 AM »
Hi Mick

the video is missing !
do you have a picture ?

John

Offline jim

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2010, 09:18:52 AM »
when i get on top of my job list, i'm going to have a look at doing a belt drive on mine. :lol: :lol: :lol:
if i'd thought it through, i'd have never tried it

Offline mickn

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2010, 10:36:19 AM »
Hi everyone and John,
I am sorry I seem to have made a pigs ear of this thread ( noisy gear train) I showed a real crappy video. I was trying to video with one hand demonstrate my conversion and talk at the same time. Consequently I removed this film and opened up another thread (converting my milling machine from a gear drive to a belt drive) I hope you all can understand this.This shows my new video.
regards Mick  (not Steven Spielberg)

Offline John Swift

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2010, 11:21:08 AM »
Hi Mick

i've just had a look at the video in the other thread

It looks very good to me

the speed range is good and most important the new guard keeps you safe

John