The Craftmans Shop > New from Old

Pimp my welder.

(1/3) > >>

one_rod:
A friend of mine got himself a fancy new welder, and being a friend, his first thought for his old set was “I wonder if one_rod would like it?”

By one of those karma-like coincidences, my manky old air-cooled stick set was dying at the time, so yes I would like it very much, thanks.

Anyway, here’s what I got. Tatty looking, needed new cables and mains lead, but otherwise sound and serviceable.

These old oil-cooled sets are just about immortal. This one is probably older than me, and will still be working long after I’m gone. They weld beautifully and can work flat out all day without overheating. (Unlike me, these days... ::) )
I used it like that for about a year with no problems, but recently decided the time had come for a few improvements.

These sets are incredibly heavy. So out of respect for the fragile state of my back I made a little cart to move it about on.

And then while I had the paint brush out, I thought I might as well give the rest of it a tart up.

Even engraved a new plate for the welding current dial.

So here it is finished.

Doesn't actually work any better, of course, but at least I can find it in the gloom of my shop now.

one_rod.

Brass_Machine:
But it looks as good as new!

Nice job!

Eric

75Plus:
Great job. No one would suspect its true age. Must be a female.  :lol:

One-rod quote

"These sets are incredibly heavy. So out of respect for the fragile state of my back I made a little cart to move it about on."

You might  consider moving the wheels back about 1/3 the length of the load for even more help for your back.

Joe

Darren:
Wot not grey, very nice, like the trolley too....  :thumbup:

Powder Keg:
Looks great One_rod! That reminds me, I need to tidy up my welder. :zap:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version