Author Topic: Mill for the new shop...  (Read 13984 times)

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
Mill for the new shop...
« on: September 25, 2010, 03:22:13 AM »
... I am being optimistic that when we get to make the move to our new house I will be able to aford a mill for my 'shop.

I do not have any firm specifications in mind but I would like it to fit in about the same scale as my 12x36 lathe, lets say MT3 and about 2HP.  I also want it to be a big bigger than what might be sold as a hobby lathe.

Sooooooo..... the Sieg SX4 might fit the bill,  does anyone have any experience with these?

Thanks
From the den of The Artful Bodger

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
Re: Mill for the new shop...
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 01:23:15 AM »
Soooo... almost 100 views and no comments on the Sieg SX4. :coffee:

Just for interest sake I have been looking up-scale a bit to the smallest turret mills,  like this one for example..

https://www.machineryhouse.co.nz/Products?stockCode=M160D#
($5000NZ is about $3600US or 2300 quid).

What is the big advantage of a turret mill?

Offline Bogstandard

• Bogs Group
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 04:32:13 AM »
I think it is a bit too new for anyone to comment just yet John.

When I was looking to upgrade my mill, I checked out everything on the market within my price range, and came to the conclusion that this was about the best that was available in the model engineering side of things at the time, and I was going to buy one, until a large cash lump sum became available, and I then went for a small industrial Bridgeport style machine. But this one definitely would have been the one if that hadn't have happened.

http://www.chesteruk.net/store/626_turret_mill.htm

John

If you don't try it, you will never know if you can do it.

Location - Crewe, Cheshire

Skype - bandit175

Offline Jonny

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010, 06:18:36 AM »
Missed out on quite a few of those 626 over the years John. Always too late and mostly went for around £600 with either dented top or hand wheels missing etc. Nice machines but limited in bed length.
Had the Super Lux over 6 years ago £900, just because it didnt say Chester and looked like a 3 phase!
Went with two mates and came away with 6 millers.

Declined a customer return as well 6 years ago, noisy motor got them down £150 to £200. http://www.chesteruk.net/store/lux_mill_drill.htm Had no where to put it until sold.
They stopped it a few years ago and more normal pricing now. Can bargain face to face in the showroom still but noticed my mill has gone up £335 lately.

I would have the 942 if got the room, but a s/h Colchester Triumph would come first.

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2010, 10:02:04 AM »
Hiya John

Wait for Steve (Cedge) he has one. I have talked to him about it a few times and I know he loves it. I was thinking of getting one myself, but a new mill has entered the market and I am watching that one to see how it does.

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2010, 02:57:03 PM »
Thanks everyone,

Unfortunately I have since heard some fairly severe criticism mills from Machinery House such as the one I linked too. This is rathe unfortunate as the company has a good reputation in NZ and Australia.

There are turret mills in their range with a seperate horizontal spindle too which seemed quite a plus.

John, I have asked Chester China to give me a price on a 626 shipped to NZ.

Eric, is that the Sieg SX4?  There seems to be very little knowledge or experience of these on the 'net.  I think the SX4 would be a quite different machine to these others I have been looking at but really I do not yet have enough experience to reach any conclusions as to which would be best.  But really I do not want to be stuck with too small a machine as I expect to be doing other than purely model work (once the word gets out I will be the most popular guy in the small town we are moving to :coffee:)

Offline Bogstandard

• Bogs Group
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2010, 03:31:09 PM »
John,

If you want to go larger, but not as large as a full blown Bridgeport, the 836, the one I have, it is very robust, and is sold by a lot of different makers under different names. This is the next step up from the 626 and 626S.

http://www.chesteruk.net/store/836_turret_mill.htm

The T-mill, in between the two, is both vertical and horizontal, but uses the ISO 30 mount. When I looked at it for myself, ISO 30 wasn't very well supported, but they are now becoming another generally available standard, just like MT & R8. That one is classed as an industrial machine, so I don't know the availability of it.

http://www.chesteruk.net/store/model_t_universal.htm

John

Skype - bandit175

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2010, 03:47:43 PM »
John,

One of them is the X4. I was actually thinking about this one:

Grizzly g0704

I don't think it is an X4 tho

If I had the room (and cash) I would probably get a 626.

Eric

« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 03:49:54 PM by Brass_Machine »
Science is fun.

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2010, 06:11:00 PM »
Oh dear!  There seems to be an ever widening gap between what I need, what I want and what I can pay for! :doh:

John, those are serious machines and maybe I could get one direct from Chester China and if I can convice my beloved to take in laundry and I sell a few parts for medical research I could actually pay one.  Really I could pay for one but I could also spend the difference on tooling. :coffee:

Eric, I may have to snaffle my ambitions somewhat and a dovetail mill like that might be my eventual purchase.

(No harm in dreaming eh?)

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2010, 07:35:43 PM »
John,

I dream all the time.

Case in point, when I read your post, for some reason the X3 stood in my head. That's what Steve has. I still want the one I linked to. I don't have a lot of room or a lot of money... seem to get a decent table area etc... for the price.

Eric
Science is fun.

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2010, 07:46:35 PM »
Eric, I really only mentioned the SX4 as it seemed to be a step up in size from the S3 and I see a lot of positive comment about machines of that brand. 

http://www.siegind.com/product.php?id=78

The real problem is I dont know enough to know what I really want! :lol:

Offline Jonny

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2010, 11:00:08 AM »
Compare
Info on Siege rather sketchy or non existent.

http://www.siegind.com/product.php?id=78
http://www.chesteruk.net/store/lux_mill.htm This has a geared head MT3!

My reckoning is same machine but different head, the Lux is better.

6 years ago i was in similar position, best around at time was the Lux, 626 not long enough for X travel (14") and needed to change speeds quick ruled that out.
I ended up with the Super Lux actual travel was before power feed mod 23 3/4", now down to 21 1/2". Used daily putting a cut on, i need bigger but no room.

Offline Bogstandard

• Bogs Group
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2010, 02:39:26 PM »
Looking at the SX4 John, it looks to have a lot of power and some very nice travels. It looks to be a good machine all round.

Just one MAJOR fault, it uses a 4MT fitting for the quill. Not only is that a non standard size for tooling, the MT is about the worst fitting you can have. It is classed as a self locking taper, and sometimes you really have to knock the s**t out of them to get them to release, most do have some sort of jacking collar, but to me, they would have been much better offering it in R8 instead or as well.

John

Skype - bandit175

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2010, 03:16:34 PM »
I have not hear back from Chester China though I did get an automatic acknowledgement of my enquiry. :coffee:

The local dealers who offer the Sieg X3  etc have not (yet) heard of the X4 (which might be OK as I am not in a hurry for it).

Good point on the MTs John, I did not know the other tapers were preferable but I understand what you are saying as it can be difficult to get the tapers out of my lathe. (Maybe I can get clever and design a jack that works on the threaded end of the spindle. :scratch:)

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2010, 03:28:21 PM »
I notice Sieg do not show a distributor for NZ (though some dealers do offer part of the range) so I have asked Sieg for a price shipping direct to me for an SX4, time will tell.

Thanks for your comments Jonny.  I could kick myself as there was a Lux standing in the window of a local dealer for several years until the paint faded etc, then I noticed it was gone and I remarked to the owner that he had sold "my" mill, he laughed and indicated he was glad to see the back of it so it probably went for a good price.

Offline 75Plus

« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2010, 10:20:46 PM »
The SX4 reviewed by Mini-Mill.com was designed for R-8 tooling. Perhaps the taper is optional.  Here is the link to Frank's review.

http://www.mini-lathe.com/Mini_mill/Reviews/SX4/sx4-rvw.htm

Joe 

Offline Jonny

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2010, 07:24:33 PM »
There have been some Lux with the superb R8 spindles.
No problem with MT3 on lathes all ejectors, Lux can lock up now and again but absolutely not the slightest problem with RF25.

I have concerns over the Siege electronics, usually these types of machines dont have any power. To me the only difference is the actual head incorporating the electronics rather than a geared head with external motor above.
Bed is same as mine but have known them with three slots!

These beds are long and heavy, ideally needing a wider support you will notice it tilting towards end of travel with vices and rotary tables permanently fixed at each end.
Lead screws as with everything chinky is the downfall, they do have split collars but you will endlessly be adjusting. Mine on the powered head has 5 revs backlash on the handle after 6 years. X adjusted three times and currently around 1 1/2 revs backlash good job 3 axis dro fitted a few years back.
Same happened on RF25 except that broke the nut. All the same dont matter what the brand name.
Other than that good machines for the money, next best 836.

tumutbound

« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2010, 08:03:27 AM »
The Sieg website shows the SX4 as having an MT4 spindle.

I suspect that like most Chinese equipment suppliers, they'll fit it with anything you want if you buy enough of them.