The Shop > Electronics & IC Programing

Joining Several Files Into One

(1/2) > >>

dsquire:
Hi Gang

Years ago I used to be able to join 2 small files together to make 1 longer file in DOS. I can no longer remember how I did that or what the command was. I want to join several short *.mp3 files together to make one longer *.mp3 file. These files are from an audio book that I have and are between 8 and 12 minutes long and I would like to make them into files that would be about an hour long so that I don't have to reload every few minutes.

Like I said, I used to know how to do it but that was 15 years ago and I have long since forgotten how. I have Windows XP so can probably drop down to the DOS prompt or do it through windows if there is a way. Any help will be much appreciated.  :doh:

Cheers  :beer:

Don

stovebolt:
Telling on myself, I read the subject line without reading the forum :lol: :lol: :lol:,

So I'm thinking, why would want to join files together ????   :lol: :lol: :lol:       

kwackers:
Using dos you'd have used the copy command to copy multiple files to a single destination.

With MP3 files you can't just join them though, they contain information that tell how each file should be read so at best concatenating them will simply make them bigger whilst still only playing the original file and worse case the file will no longer play.

To join them you need some form of audio editor, it'll read them in, 'normalise' them and write them back out to one longer file.

The following search should throw up some useful pointers.
http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=merge+mp3+files&meta=

AdeV:
There's a freeware program called Audacity which will do exactly what you want - it has a half decent interface too.

kvom:
The DOS command is cat (concatenate).

cat file1 file2 > file3

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version