Author Topic: Penny Farthing Bicycle  (Read 195508 times)

Offline rleete

• Madmodder Committee
Re: Penny Farthing Bicycle
« Reply #125 on: January 21, 2012, 08:24:56 PM »
Glad to see I'm not the only one with a dirty mind.
Creating scrap, one part at a time

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #126 on: January 22, 2012, 02:13:06 AM »
Hmmmm..........  :palm:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
  • Machinist Extraordinaire
« Reply #127 on: January 22, 2012, 03:54:33 PM »
Head Design...

I am torn a little. I can't decide now if I want an open head bike or a  closed head bike. I like the mechanical look of the open head bikes. And had started in that direction. But at the same time the closed head designs are cleaner and maybe more elegant looking. That is why I have been leaning to the closed head design. There might be less maintenance with a closed head also? Right now I think ether way would be the same amount of work also. Are there any opinions on this? I'll post a couple pictures so you can see what I'm talking about.

Thanks,

~Wes~
Wesley P
A Gismo ??? If it has a flywheel or spins and is made with small parts. I'll take one! If it makes noise, moves, or requires frequent oiling and dusting it's a better deal yet. It's especially right if its shiny and bright; but if it's dirty and dull it wont mater at all...

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #128 on: January 22, 2012, 04:01:25 PM »
Here is an open head bike.

And a closed head bike.

I think I could do a nice job on a closed head bike. Fancy lathe work and all :med:

~Wes~
Wesley P
A Gismo ??? If it has a flywheel or spins and is made with small parts. I'll take one! If it makes noise, moves, or requires frequent oiling and dusting it's a better deal yet. It's especially right if its shiny and bright; but if it's dirty and dull it wont mater at all...

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #129 on: January 22, 2012, 04:57:16 PM »
I've been a little busy today. I remembered a hoop that I didn't use on my sidecar. After a little searching I found it.

I cut out a piece with a thin cut on a hand grinder.

It has some more shaping to be done. I'm going to round the end over a bit and a mount needs to be welded in the center. My seat is coming together nicely!!!

There sure a lot of parts on one of these.

Later,

~Wes~
Wesley P

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
« Reply #130 on: January 22, 2012, 10:21:30 PM »
My opinion would be the closed head style...
Agreed about the opportunity to do a little fancy lathe work  :dremel:    plus I really like the brake  :headbang:

Saddle looks like it's taking shape too  :thumbup:

Ralph.
I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #131 on: January 22, 2012, 10:45:08 PM »
I've chatted with a couple fellows in the "know" and they say that the closed head designs are stronger. So I'll be going with that style. It's getting a spoon break. I found a nice design that I like. It has a nice handle on it. It will also have nice looking pivot fittings made for the break.

A friend of mine donated a set of grips for my bike. They are a set of Reproduction grips copied off a set of original Pear grips. The black ones in this picture. I am very excited about them:o)

Looks like I need to get my butt in gear. I still have lots so do on this.

~Wes~
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 11:26:37 PM by Powder Keg »
Wesley P

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #132 on: January 23, 2012, 01:58:26 AM »
Comming along great Wesley.

I may have missed this but how/what are you going to use for tyers  :scratch:

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #133 on: January 23, 2012, 07:19:22 AM »
The tires are made especially for these Penny Farthings by a place in California. The ones I'm getting are 1" OD and red:o) There is a 3/16" hole through the center that a 1/8" steel wire is passed through. I'll have to make a tire installation tool before I can mount them on the rim.

I'm going to redraw the head for my bike in the next day or so. That way I can get started on it.

~Wes~
Wesley P

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #134 on: January 23, 2012, 09:29:06 AM »
There's a nice video on this page http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~gsimpson/supplies.html showing how to make and fit solid tyres. It only takes the guy five minutes, though his brazing technique is a bit iffy.

Andy

Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #135 on: January 23, 2012, 07:06:34 PM »
I've chatted with Graeme about his tire tool. He sent me a few pictures and dimensions. I think I can improve on the couple designs that are out there. Thanks for that link.

~Wes~
Wesley P

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #136 on: January 23, 2012, 09:41:07 PM »
I only have 4-5 more nipples to make and I'll be ready to start tapping them\o/ I'm making 4-5 extra just in case.

I started drawing up the fork. I think this closed head design will look/work better. Plus I can make it a little fancier :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: I need the front fork to build the front wheel. I'll be using it as a truing jig.

~Wes~

Wesley P

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #137 on: January 24, 2012, 10:14:43 PM »
I have the first operation on the nipples done. All 85 of them. I'll grind a little tool to shape the head and start taping them next.

A friend sent me drawings for the seat front clip and the bolt that holds the seat to the back spring. I'll be able to start on them here pretty quick. The drawing he had for the bolt was a hand sketch. I drew it up in CAD for him. He was excited about it:o)

I've made a little more progress on my head drawings. I need to change things a little. But I think it will look pretty nice. I was able to round up a little scrap to make the head out of also. It's a challenge to make machined parts that are welded together look.... Pretty. So things are progressing.

Later,

~Wes~
Wesley P

Offline DMIOM

• Isle of Man
« Reply #138 on: January 25, 2012, 08:52:13 AM »
....... It's a challenge to make machined parts that are welded together look.... Pretty. ...

However its done I'm sure it'll look great - but as for welded appearance I think Rob Wilson is a great example to us!

EDIT - what I meant was the appearance of Rob's work - not Rob's own appearance   :lol:

Dave

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #139 on: January 25, 2012, 08:37:38 PM »
I found a place kind of close that does Nickle plating :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb:
Wesley P

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #140 on: January 26, 2012, 08:16:39 PM »
Were not working tomorrow\o/

The Boss did say that it would be OK for me to come in and play on the machines though. I'll be cutting out the bracket for the back seat spring and the front seat hook on the CNC mill. Can't wait.... :drool:

~Wes~
Wesley P

Offline Divided he ad

• The Collective
« Reply #141 on: January 27, 2012, 03:37:41 AM »
Always nice to have a bit of unexpected free time  :thumbup:  Even better when you have something fun to fill it with  :dremel:

Just a simple question Wes, What era is the bike based on? you know 1890's 1920's etc? Just wondering? Figure you're going to have to have the right dress code etc for the bike style?  I'm assuming they changed a lot from conception to retirement?
You may have said this already and I missed it?

Have fun making the new bits  :ddb:

Ralph.

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #142 on: January 27, 2012, 09:23:44 AM »
 They were popular from the 1870's clear through the 1990's. The earlier bicycle was ether a board with wheels or had front wheel drive. Around 1869 wheels with adjustable metal spokes were invented. Bicycles went from a wood wheel to a steel and rubber wheel. To gain speed, inverters made the wheel bigger so more distance could be traveled per peddle push. They went this way because bicycle chain hadn't been invented yet. There is a lot of history Here

There is a pretty neat story about a bike bought by Paul Niquette. It is probably the biggest High wheel made with a 64" front wheel. Here is the Story

Later,

~Wes~
Wesley P

Offline Divided he ad

• The Collective
« Reply #143 on: January 27, 2012, 02:24:14 PM »
I had read some stuff on them and knew there was a wide range of dates. Just wondered if you had seen a certain version and decided "that one"?

The 1873 Coventry high wheel  definitely a  "Penny Farthing" (and not meant as a horrible nick name at all) to most Brits I'm sure.
That one has the handle bar ends like the ones you picture from your friend. The brake mechanism sounds cool... BTW Coventry.... My home town  :ddb:

Read the story... Interesting character the farmer. I like his morals on the gazumping bidders   :thumbup: 

The "you tipped your cap" story was quite humorous too  :)

How did your extra fab' time in work go?

Ralph.

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #144 on: January 27, 2012, 08:31:45 PM »
I'm happy with what I machined today. I started on the hook for the front of the seat. I still have to bend it into a hook. Hopefully that wont be too much trouble.

I then drew up what I thought a seat spring mount would look like. I even managed to get it cut out. This would have been tricky on a manual mill.

Here is a close up of the mount. I'll saw it off the chunk tomorrow.

Thanks for watching,

~Wes~
Wesley P

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #145 on: January 27, 2012, 08:55:21 PM »
That's a dandy hunk of brass there Wes! It is looking smooth!

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #146 on: January 27, 2012, 08:58:36 PM »
Thanks Eric:o) That chunk of Brass has been in the bottom of my scrap box for nearly ten years waiting for a special project.

~Wes~
Wesley P

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #147 on: January 27, 2012, 09:10:36 PM »
I love the look of machined brass!
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #148 on: January 27, 2012, 11:35:47 PM »
Hey Ralph, I had originally started copying an early Rudge High wheel. I liked the way the brass hubs looked with the radial spokes. I think the date on that bike was around 1875 or so. They are from Coventry also:o) After that I'm just fitting things together in a way that pleases me. The front axle is way fancier than any I have seen. The cranks will be nice to look at. I dressed up the step a tad. A friend is helping me along the way. He is the fellow that I got the seat springs from. He makes Re-pro seats for the Columbia experts. I could have bought the rest of the seat stuff but I like mine better. I need to nail down the head design I'm going to use. I'm trying to make everything "look right". And be build-able. I would like some lighter forks. But tapered oval tubing would be tough for me to make. I've found a couple forks that look like they were made out of flat bar that were lightened like I did my step. I'm tossing that idea around. I'm just trying to get it to look right in my head before I start cutting metal.

I spend a lot of time designing this in my head:o)

~Wes~
Wesley P

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #149 on: January 27, 2012, 11:52:24 PM »
Here is one that I like. 1885 Rudge It has the nice Brass hubs.

~Wes~
Wesley P