Author Topic: new project poppin engine  (Read 7039 times)

Offline jim

new project poppin engine
« on: July 31, 2010, 01:31:31 PM »
i've started (at long last, its been a busy year!) my next project!

i'm making a flame licker to my own design!

sorted the fly wheels out today, inspired by the recent posts on reusing stuff, i've been in my box of bits and found a couple of gears (out the cam drive on a Honda VFR800).

just need to make some centres for the "flywheels", then make up my mind on the bore and stroke!
if i'd thought it through, i'd have never tried it

Offline jim

Re: new project poppin engine
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010, 06:27:35 AM »
i got the barrel, head and piston done today.

i'm using the same metal as last time (leaded mild steel, free cutting) as it worked ok on the last engine and i've got loads of it!

i've gone for a 1" dia bore.

just need to sort out some bearings, then i can make the crank/con rod next.

Offline madjackghengis

• big engine
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 08:43:25 AM »
Well, if a man can build an engine that runs from someone else's ideas, it follows that he must at some point, be ready to build his own engine according to his own ideas.  As one who prefers to re-use old parts and pieces, I expect to follow this project closely and really enjoy it.  If we all build miniature models of engines which used to be used for good purpose, does a day come when we should be scaling up and building full sized engines to demonstrate what our models once really did in life?  Can a man have too many engines?  I think not.  Here's to the video which will bring this project to a close, after a successful build.  I for one, am looking forward to the ingenuity that will be displayed again. :mmr: mad jack

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2010, 09:55:39 PM »
I like the idea of using the gears from the VFR (love that bike btw). I think it has some serious potential. Gonna be watching this one!

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 02:04:51 AM »
Jim,

I love adapting stock into something else!  

Never managed an engine though........  ::)

Good luck with this development!  :thumbup:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline madjackghengis

• big engine
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 09:08:03 AM »
Jim, when I build a new lawn mower for the five or six acres of front yard, I like to use a few Harley parts on it, like un-grounding the end of the alternator, and pulling the lead out, and using a Harley regulator, doubling the charging current, while adding positive over-voltage control, and using lawn mower parts when I'm building a new or rebuilt bike which is sadly in need of serious work, like brackets and rod ends, which seem to somehow be better quality on lawn mowers than Harleys.  I've been building custom bikes and other machinery for almost forty years, and hardly a one doesn't have parts off the previous build, saved specificallly for the next one.  It kind of makes "family" out of all my engines and builds.  They like to think so anyway, and so do I.  Good work, and a good start. :beer:  mad jack

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2010, 02:35:19 AM »
Nice 1 Jim,

Looking forward to watching this project!  :thumbup:

Nick

Offline jim

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2010, 05:06:02 AM »
made a bit of progress today.

got the crank done and one of centre pieces for the "fly wheels".

just got make up my mind on a few other parts before cutting any more metal!

Offline madjackghengis

• big engine
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2010, 07:45:43 AM »
Hi Jim, that's a good start on an engine, I like to see live bearings on a crank, it means speed :beer:.  By the way do any other SWMBO's have headaches when engines are run in the house?  I don't believe my wife believes me when I tell her these engines need running in, so they do their best.  She thinks it ought to stay out in the shop for that. :offtopic:  In any case, I'm looking forward to seeing the direction you are going to go with this, it looks like a pretty good sized set of wheels, and you can hardly make a small engine with great flywheels.  I'm looking forward to seeing a frame just to see the layout. :headbang: mad jack