Author Topic: Swarf production is in full swing.  (Read 18201 times)

Offline techno ludite

Swarf production is in full swing.
« on: May 29, 2010, 05:42:08 PM »
Yer 'tis then.

This years quota of swarf has started with a vengance  :ddb: started machining up the parts for the little pump I got from southworth engines.

Family group shot.                                                                                     Finished Columns.

Going old school with a 'sticky pin' setting up on the rotary table,                  Now just about to start milling up the pump base.
 not happy with all those new fangled doo-hickeys.

I wont bore you all, all in one go, so here's a link to my flickr page http://www.flickr.com/photos/techno-ludite/sets/72157624037389809/ with the rest of them.

The next post I shall try and include a few more of the ones that I forgot to get pics of.

TTFN

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
Re: Swarf production is in full swing.
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2010, 07:41:04 PM »
Looks like your having fun  :headbang:

Sticky pin eh?  I'm obviously not old.... erm, school enough to know this one  :scratch:

I don't know about this castings stuff.... I would have thought you could make those bits from bar stock? Then again you'd need the plans I suppose?

Still looks good :thumbup:

Ralph.
I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2010, 01:20:38 AM »
Looking very good:- I like your split mandrill use.  :headbang:

Thanks for showing

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline techno ludite

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 05:01:19 PM »
I'd liked to appologise for using profanities on this site.

Swarf production was stopped last week due to a really horrible case of 'man flu', these head colds can knock you sideways when you least expect it and there is no mrs ludite to mop my fevered brow when I do come down with the lurgy, and wouldn't know it those buggers at ( profanity alert ) work :whip: needed me to do something or another   :coffee: .

But here is the latest offerings to the god of swarf production  :bow: ,

Undercutting the pump valve.                                                                 Group shot #2

Pump valve drg.                                                                                      One of the pump unions.

Cylinder bottom finished milling.

And the rest are on my flickr page, http://www.flickr.com/photos/techno-ludite/sets/72157624037389809/  as usual

TL

Hmm it looks as though I've made a bit of a balls up on the pump valve machining, oh well back in the lathe it goe's again tomorrow night.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 05:30:19 PM by techno ludite »

Offline ieezitin

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010, 06:14:29 PM »
Techno.

Must be a great feeling being back on deck!. Its looking good.

Divided… sticky pin= chewing gum or plummers putty stuck on the end of your  collet holder or chuck with a needle or any sharp pointed pin placed in it , turn the spindle on and slightly hold the revolving pin between two fingers and get pin to revolve true just like a wobbler stick center finder only this set up is only worth about 5 cents works every time.

Keep up the good work brother..           Anthony.
If you cant fix it, get another hobby.

Offline techno ludite

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2010, 05:44:59 PM »
No machining tonight just didn't feel like it, carp day at ( profanity alert ) work  :whip:.

The use of the sticky pin was shown to the apprentices on our first year training course away from our companies. by the milling section instructor. What you do is put a dress makers needle in some 'plasticine' pointy end out, stick it on the end of what evers in the chuck, spin it up, touch on on your work piece till the needle point stops wobbling about and there you have it, centre of the cutter over the edge of the job, move the workpiece to the required dimensions and as we say 'bobs ur uncle' an 'fannys ur aunt'.

If that lot makes any sense, then i've explained it better than I thunk I did.

TL

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2010, 04:44:00 AM »
Cough, cough....... :wave:

http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=1116.0

Think we`ve blinded `em with science TL.....    ::)

Nice little bits an bobs, you`ve made.....  :thumbup:

David D
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 04:45:32 AM by Stilldrillin »
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline shoey51

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2010, 04:58:01 PM »
Im watching this :thumbup:

Offline techno ludite

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2010, 10:29:07 AM »
Hi All

Bin busy this morning. I'm a great believer of a picture telling more than I can put down into words, so sorry if the write-ups are lacking.

Form tool ground up correctly.                                                                Milling the wings.

Finished milling                                                                                     Valve in-stu in the union to see if it fits.

1st off.

Its there somewhere                                                    Ah there it is.

And the rest are on my flickr page.

TTFN
TL  :D

Offline techno ludite

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2010, 02:55:56 PM »
Hi All

Been a slow month so far what with losing my mojo  :scratch:, then getting back at the weekend  :med: . So here are the latest updates on the pump so far.

Machining the back face of the valve plate.                                               Finished machining.

Shuttle valves part finished.                                                                   Trial fit of the shuttle valves.

Gasket clamped between valve plate and body.

Gonna try and get some more done this weekend so keep looking.

TL  :D

Offline techno ludite

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2010, 11:05:35 AM »
Hi All
S'bin quiet on the swarf production front of late, finally managed to finish the pump last nite, my neighbours will be glad when I shut my workshop up for the winter no more security light flashing on and off. Anywho here's somemore pics of it, tested the water side this morning an she pumps ok, just need to rig it to my boiler or an airline to see if the steam side works as well.

TL  :)

And this is the engine and boiler set that its going to go with.

And using utube for posting vids is a lot easier than using flickr   :ddb:
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 11:53:43 AM by techno ludite »

Offline shoey51

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2010, 04:59:20 PM »
Thats a lovely pump there  :thumbup: well done I need to build something like that for my 7.25 gauge loco

Graham

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2010, 07:29:21 PM »
TL,

Very nice work indeed!  :beer:

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline HS93

• In Memoriam
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2010, 04:00:40 AM »
That look nice. a few questions where did the casting kit come from and how big is it I have tried to work it out but I think I am wrong at 3 1/2 in tall

Peter
I am usless at metalwork, Oh and cannot spell either . failure

Offline techno ludite

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2010, 04:30:37 AM »
Morning/Evening All   :wave:

Yes the pump is just over 3" tall and I got from a company called 'southworth engines' http://www.southworthengines.smartemail.co.uk/ the company advertises in the back of 'EIM' and elsewhere I expect, the cost of the kit was just under £30.

TL

Offline HS93

• In Memoriam
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2010, 05:00:26 AM »
Thank you for that

Peter

Offline kellswaterri

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2010, 05:54:51 AM »

Nice work on the Pump J.L...couple of questions ...are the Southworth pump part tolerances very tight to the drawings...and where did you pick up those Clico Clamps?
All the best for now,
                           John.

Offline techno ludite

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2010, 07:32:21 AM »

TL,

Very nice work indeed!  :beer:

Eric

Thank you, unfortunatley beer/alcohol is out of the question ( blood pressure tabs have stopped that)

Thats a lovely pump there  :thumbup: well done I need to build something like that for my 7.25 gauge loco

Graham

Thank you

Thank you for that

Peter

Thats no problem

Nice work on the Pump J.L...couple of questions ...are the Southworth pump part tolerances very tight to the drawings...and where did you pick up those Clico Clamps?
All the best for now,
                           John.

On the one I've done, more like a male appendage in a bucket, but I've tried to get as close as possible to the drawing dimensions with the kit I've got. And regarding the edge clamps not legally, I used to work on 'Harriers' at BAE nuff said. But give these people a try http://www.skinpins.com/fastsideclamp1.html or any company that deals with aircraft manufacture, I see that your in the emerald isle see if you know anyone that works at shorts brothers in belfast.

TL   :)

Offline techno ludite

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2010, 11:25:46 AM »
 :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb:    :D :D :D Well I guess its time to find something else to do now.

Behold my latest baby, not bad considering I'm single.

Yup she works at last, it was a bit nerve racking to say the least when she took her first breath's at 16:02 today, got to sort out the plumbing and wot-not.

TL  :D :)

Offline kellswaterri

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2010, 11:47:36 AM »
 I see that your in the emerald isle see if you know anyone that works at shorts brothers in belfast.

Yup,...ME...for 18 years, I only asked as it is often only aircraft fitters who use them, very handy wee tool...got a few myself,
All the best for now,
                           John.

Offline HS93

• In Memoriam
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2010, 05:37:00 PM »
is it self starting ? as it's only a single I was wondering if it has to run all the time with a bypas or something.

peter

Offline techno ludite

« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2010, 03:23:17 PM »
Hi Peter

Thats a very good question, I think when I posted the vid it was a fluke 'cos now I can't get the darn thing going again. I think i'll need a separate steam take off for it and then set up a by-pass for the water system.
Hopefully now site work is starting to drop off I can get back at it again before I shut my workshop up for the winter.

TL