Gallery, Projects and General > How to's

Tapping -- How to's and How not to's....

<< < (2/6) > >>

j45on:
Arc Euro Trade also have small drill packs in 0.1 mm increments these ones are TiN coated but a little dearer
I have the 1-10mm set and they are not bad drills

http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue/Cutting-Tools/Twist-Drills/Drill-Bits---TiN-Coated

Tinkering_Guy:
This is an excellent reference: http://littlemachineshop.com/Reference/TapDrillSizes.pdf.  It covers metric and Imperial screw and drill sizes, and also allows for the type of material being worked.

j45on:

--- Quote from: Tinkering_Guy on August 05, 2010, 03:51:50 PM ---This is an excellent reference: http://littlemachineshop.com/Reference/TapDrillSizes.pdf.  It covers metric and Imperial screw and drill sizes, and also allows for the type of material being worked.

--- End quote ---

Thanks thats getting printed and laminated and going in my shop  :thumbup:

Lew_Merrick_PE:

--- Quote from: AdeV on August 05, 2010, 12:07:59 PM ---Nothing about cleaning broken taps out with conc nitric acid though, I notice!
--- End quote ---

We can revisit it if you like, I only opened the door.

--- Quote from: AdeV on August 05, 2010, 12:07:59 PM ---Anyway.... a question: Can a TapMatic head be used with standard HSS taps? If not, what sort of taps does it need? I'll stump up the money for a TapMatic if it's going to take ordinary taps.
--- End quote ---

Yes, I use my TapMatic with HSS taps all the time.  The main thing it to match the tapping rotational speed properly.

AdeV:

--- Quote from: Lew_Merrick_PE on August 05, 2010, 04:31:49 PM ---
--- Quote from: AdeV on August 05, 2010, 12:07:59 PM ---Nothing about cleaning broken taps out with conc nitric acid though, I notice!
--- End quote ---

We can revisit it if you like, I only opened the door.

--- End quote ---

No... I was only kidding, hence the smiley...

--- Quote from: Lew_Merrick_PE on August 05, 2010, 04:31:49 PM ---
--- Quote from: AdeV on August 05, 2010, 12:07:59 PM ---Anyway.... a question: Can a TapMatic head be used with standard HSS taps? If not, what sort of taps does it need? I'll stump up the money for a TapMatic if it's going to take ordinary taps.
--- End quote ---

Yes, I use my TapMatic with HSS taps all the time.  The main thing it to match the tapping rotational speed properly.

--- End quote ---

I'm looking at maybe purchasing a 50TC/DC unit. If I wanted to tap M6 in aluminium to a depth of 2", would this device do the job - and what sort of speed will it tap at? The website blurb says it has a "re-entry cushion" to prevent cross-threading; which suggests to me I can plunge multiple times (maybe with taper, 2nd & plug?) into the same hole & it will find the threads & augment them, rather than chewing a new set out of the old...

e.g. here's a utoob video which seems to suggest a tapmatic will scorch through metal:

Thoughts?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version