Gallery, Projects and General > How to's

Tapping -- How to's and How not to's....

<< < (5/6) > >>

PK:
I'm a big fan of spiral flute taps and torque limited electric drivers. You have to work hard to break a tap with that setup and seeing the swarf curl up out of the hole in three contiguous strips makes me happy....

awemawson:
I'm with PK on this. I now only buy spiral flute taps if at all possible. This doesn't mean that I no longer use my extensive range of conventional taps, as I have them covering most families of threads, but new one are spiral flute.

Excellent for blind holes as the Swarf comes out backwards rather than being packed up a blind alley.

Note: There are spiral flute taps, and spiral point taps, and suppliers (particularly on eBay) confuse the two. The spiral point ones are also very good, and considerably more robust than a conventional tap.

Mike E.:

--- Quote from: sparky961 on May 24, 2017, 04:12:41 PM ---What's the logic in this? Maybe it stays liquid in a really small hole but for any "normal" size it will have evaporated long before having the chance to be helpful. ...............

--- End quote ---

Have you have tried it ?

PekkaNF:
DOH. :doh:

Picture of the "sticker" above was from beta print....it has an error.

Finally I have by taps in order and I put 20 boxes on one tool chest tray.

I'm in for spiral taps too. Although one more complication: There is a model that pushes the swarf down! Nice when you do trough holes and front side matters.

Pekka

AdeV:

--- Quote from: PekkaNF on May 25, 2017, 07:14:07 AM ---
I'm in for spiral taps too. Although one more complication: There is a model that pushes the swarf down! Nice when you do trough holes and front side matters.

--- End quote ---

Mine do that.... I think that's because they're "spiral point" rather than "spiral flute" (per Andrew's post). They do work exceedingly well, though, and if I have a choice when I buy taps, that's what I buy (no-one does a spiral flute/point left-hand 1/2" UNC* though, for some bizarre reason.)

* I may have the size wrong, going from memory...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version