Author Topic: Moteur oscillant double effect  (Read 46989 times)

Offline Bluechip

• Madmodder Committee
  • Derbyshire UK
Re: Moteur oscillant double effect
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2010, 10:49:08 AM »
Looking very good Stew ... beginning to think I might have a bash at an engine ... getting a bit bored with PIC's & code ... :bang:

I'm a fan of hairy sticks ... and a vaccy ..

I get these, although I notice the price has gone up somewhat ... rather better than they say, OK for all but posh paint jobs ..

http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-36-piece-assorted-paint-brush-set-prod576783/

Dave BC
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 10:51:35 AM by Bluechip »
I have a few modest talents. Knowing what I'm doing isn't one of them.

Offline madjackghengis

• big engine
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2010, 12:03:01 PM »
Hi Stew, you have a very clear and well organized build log here, showing the utmost in the importance of taking every job a step at a time, and getting beautiful results from planning and preparation.  I like seeing the name of another machinist, on the vise stop, other than your's, it shows old tools keep working, just with different hands, which is one of the great things about this hobby of ours.  Your set of parts are looking well, and you should have a whole family of oscillators rather soon now, I expect.  All in all, very nice work and a pleasure to watch. :thumbup: :jaw: mad jack

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2010, 01:34:58 PM »
Thanks Lads

Bernd:- I've got a few bald brushes myself, I'm still trying to think of a use for the bit of wood left over.

Blimey Dave their cheap.

Jack:- The vice was made by a good friend I worked with in the tool room, he was a top notch grinder so I know its very square and parallel, he gave it to me when I told him I was taking up model engineering, he's now working in Saudi Arabia, I just hope he doesn't ask for it back.

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline fatal-exception

« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2010, 01:48:38 PM »
... I occasionally loose a bunch of bristtles when the brush gets caught be tween cutter and work.  :doh:

Bernd

Oh good, I'm not the only one!  :thumbup:

Offline SKIPRAT

• Gainsborough Lincolnshire England
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2010, 05:56:35 PM »
Hi Stew

I must be posh i actually use a proper dead blow hammer for tapping bits down had it years  and i  too have a good supply of 2 inch paint brushes 35p each at my local cheap shop can't beat em good cheap swarf brush.

Cheers Paul
One Mans Junk Is Another Man's Treasure G6FOW

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2010, 02:21:23 AM »
Hi Stew

I must be posh i actually use a proper dead blow hammer for tapping bits down had it years  and i  too have a good supply of 2 inch paint brushes 35p each at my local cheap shop can't beat em good cheap swarf brush.

Cheers Paul

That's right Paul. You're right posh, you are!  :bugeye:

I melted some scrap lead in the bottom of a tin can, in 196?, and repeat/ re form it every few years.  :thumbup:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2010, 04:07:01 AM »
When doing repeat parts an operation that requires multi tools I like to keep the tools easy at hand in a box along with all the other bits required.

We needed that box for that damn little spanner that kept running around your workshop when I was there :lol:

Excellent build, Stew. All the parts are coming along very nicely!

Chris

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2010, 05:35:35 AM »
Thanks Lads

I think my shop Gremlins have got that little spanner now Chris I wish a new what the little buggers are building.

A good mornings work done. drilling and tapping for the inlet and exhausts ports.

When starting on a new feature I like to mark the first one out, then with a bit of calculation work out the coordinates for the DRO, coming at it in two different ways gives you a check that you've got the features in the correct position.

Another thing that can go wrong when your doing multiple parts is that you end up loading the work the wrong way, so it helps to mark the end/side your working on and to store them in the box all the same way.

With everything correct it was just a matter of spotting with a centre drill turning the job round to do the other side etc etc then swapping over to the drill to depth repeat repeat next hole position repeat repeat.

To get the depth correct I used the DRO on the mill.

Then over onto the tapping stand to tap M2:- John put me onto a cheap supply of HSS taps but I'd already bought a set of carbon taps so I decided to use these to get the use out of them, these taps are good quality UK manufacture, It always pays to use good sharp taps as bluntness is one of the main causes of a broken tap.

Her we are a very satisfying morning work.

And an introduction to another brush this time an old toothbrush the stiff bristles are just the ticket for clearing the swarf from the tap, clogged taps are another cause of breakages.

Cheers

Stew

Offline madjackghengis

• big engine
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2010, 09:01:27 AM »
Hi Stew, nice looking work and some sound suggestions for keeping track of what one's doing, as well.  I like the idea of a box for the tools and bits, keeping them from rolling off the mill table.  I'm thinking wood, with a couple of dividers in it.  The project engines are looking good, and moving forward right well, looking forward to seeing them standing in formation.  Ta ta for now,  :poke: mad jack

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2010, 01:42:23 PM »
Looking real good Stew.

I used my wifes electric tooth brush once for that. She wasn't to happy with all the little brass chips in her mouth.  :lol:

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2010, 04:47:57 PM »
Stew, where did you buy your quality taps from?

Regarding the shop gremlins. They are real funny buggers, sometimes I find they take things never to be a seen again yet other times I can look for ages and then when I come to the shop the next time, they are pretty much where they should have been.  :bang:
Chris

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2010, 05:00:30 PM »
The carbon taps I'm using I got from her https://www.maccmodels.co.uk/ their fine to use on none ferrous job, but are limited when it comes to steel they soon blunt and are prone to break especially the smaller sizes.

There was a special offer her http://www.mscjlindustrial.co.uk/cgi/insrhm look in the section marked inventory clearance, for small sizes of HSS taps at very good price indeed.

Stew

Offline Ned Ludd

« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2010, 08:57:05 PM »
Hi Stew,
Just to play devil's advocate, but what makes your taps "quality" when you describe them as "but are limited when it comes to steel they soon blunt and are prone to break especially the smaller sizes."?
Ned
I know enough to do what I do, but the more I know the more I can do!

Leafy suburbs of NW London

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2010, 01:14:29 AM »
Ned

I had some carbon taps and dies that were made in India they were poorly ground, had no radial relief, burred, tore the thread and broke like carrots even when used on brass. I got them from Tracy tools, they seem to have two suppliers, good quality UK that come boxed and poor quality from India that are lose, they do supply good quality HSS at a reasonable price, so I'm always wary when it comes to where and who I buy my carbon tap and dies from as I know there's some rubbish out their.

Stew

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2010, 04:47:49 AM »
Another good mornings work.

First job was to do a little mod on the ports. I spent a very pleasant couple of hours with John yesterday afternoon tucking into a bowl of wild plumbs he'd picked and chatting, we got onto these engines and he told me of a little mod to the design he carried out. The pipe work connects to the standard with a bit of a flange coupling that bolts flush to it, what John does is to extend the pipe through this coupling so that it protrudes through into the standard this makes for a better air seal, the crap o cad shows what I mean. so first thing I sunk a 1/8" slot drill 3mm deep into the feed hole.

Next job was to drill the connecting holes down the end of the standard 2 holes are 27mm deep and 2 are 6mm deep if you mix them up you've got a scrapper. To get the standard square I took advantage of the squareness of my vice I simply bolted a parallel to the side and butted the job up to this, then by use of the edge finder got the centre of the standard drilled m2.5 tapping in the centre then used the PCD feature of my DRO to find the position of the other holes, I did the two 6mm deep holes first, followed by the 27mm deep holes again I marked the correct face to load the job into the vice on all the standards so I didn't load them wrong.

When all drilled I then tapped the M2.5 centre hole on the tapping stand: the V black is just to add a bit of support.

Here we are all done just one face left now before I mill the slot for the fly wheel.

Stew

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2010, 05:26:28 AM »
On we go:-

Four holes were drilled and tapped M3 in the base, the set up for this was the same as for the other end so no pics.

Last job on the standard mill out the slot to take the fly wheel, first a 9.5mm hole was drilled through, then using a nice new 10mm end mill the extended part of the slot was mill in all the components:- like this

The the slot was milled out all the way through as far as the 9.5mm hole:- like this

Her they are six of the seven done, the Seventh I've put to one side to experiment with later.

Stew

Offline madjackghengis

• big engine
« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2010, 09:53:46 AM »
Hi Stew, that's a mighty interesting looking vise you've got there, it appears to have tapped holes for bolting parallels and the like onto it.  Looks mighty handy for doing just what you show, holding a piece vertical, and acting as a stop at the same time, I might be able to add that to my milling vise.  Nice looking set of standards, nice work on display. :thumbup: mad jack

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2010, 04:16:48 PM »
Thanks Jack I've started a thread about my Vice  :D

The next bits to make call for a fair bit of turning, the first part is the pipe coupling nothing complicated about the turning so didn't take any pics. To drill the clamp holes I made a little jig, this is it in use.

This is it with the the parts.

Next operation mill the flats I made some little plugs to fit in the holes so that I could sit them on top of the vice and bring the holes level.

Then I sat the milled side on a parallel to mill the other.

This sort of worked but I was not happy with it I've got another similar part to make so may think up another method.

And here they are all done and how they fasten the pipe to the Standard.

Stew

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2010, 04:50:53 PM »
Nice work Stew.

Ah, jigs and fixtures. They sure make short work for multiple parts don't they?

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2010, 03:52:27 AM »
Nice work Stew.

Ah, jigs and fixtures. They sure make short work for multiple parts don't they?

Bernd

I had 34 years of working with 'em, daily, until retirement.

Stew doesn't realise, just how much his reminders are upsetting me.......  :)

Very nice work, Stew!  :thumbup:

David D
David.

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
« Reply #45 on: August 27, 2010, 03:14:02 PM »
Thanks Bernd

I don't won't to give you night mares Dave but the next bit requires a jig also.  :D

The next bit is the stuffing box come cylinder head thingy  :scratch:

Another job with a lot of lathe work.

Turn down a goodly length enough to make 2 or 3 from

Turn down, drill, part off, Turn down, drill, part off, turn down another goodly length repeat repeat repeat.

And you end up with a box of bits.

These are not finished yet I've got to turn the register for the cylinder on the other end, Drill some holes WITH A JIG. and square the flange off, but before I do that I'm going to pick the boiler job up again for a couple of days I hope fingers crossed and all that.

Stew

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #46 on: August 27, 2010, 03:57:20 PM »
Stew,

No nightmares, these days.....  :thumbup:

I don't miss it one bit!  :D

Nice work, again.....  :clap:

David D
David.

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
  • Portadown, Northern Ireland
    • My Photo website
« Reply #47 on: August 27, 2010, 04:04:12 PM »
Looking good Stew  :thumbup:

I'm following this with interest as I have a future build where I may be making between 8-10 cylinders for either a V4 or V8 wobbler. So I am taking note of all your hints/tips/jigs for multiple parts manufacturing.

Tim
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe  -  MI0TME

Offline Bluechip

• Madmodder Committee
  • Derbyshire UK
« Reply #48 on: August 27, 2010, 04:12:06 PM »
Stew,

No nightmares, these days.....  :thumbup:

I don't miss it one bit!  :D

Nice work, again.....  :clap:

David D

Is that a stool bottom RH corner ??

Don't look very comfy   :(

I would have wanted one better than that, no cushion, no armrests ... damn poor show ..

Dave BC
I have a few modest talents. Knowing what I'm doing isn't one of them.

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #49 on: August 28, 2010, 02:13:51 AM »
Dave,

You're just a softie....... I woz well 'ard, in them days......

Sufferin' for it now.......  ::)

David D
David.