The Shop > Electronics & IC Programing

6A PSU using L200

<< < (2/5) > >>

MrFluffy:
Is this load it up till the big electrolytics turn into party poppers time? :D

Stilldrillin:

--- Quote from: Bluechip on July 28, 2010, 05:35:07 PM ---Hi Folks

To amuse Mr. R. Wilson ...  4-6 V @ 6A Regulator. (  ?)

I suppose it's a PSU, as the bridge rectifier is on the heatsink with the transistors ... & whatever ..

Home brew PCB using 'fast etch' facility on mill.  ( It would have been faster if I could remember where I last slung a 4mm slot drill )

2 MJ2955 on t'other side of heatsink ..

2 yellow wires go to the transformer secondary, not really aerials ...

Dave BC

--- End quote ---

Dave!

Dave!  :wave:

It might amuse young Rob........   :zap:

BUT! Worrizit, (PSU?), an wotsit actually do? :scratch:

Where does the 4mm slot drill fit?  :scratch: :scratch:

Am confussed.........  :scratch: :scratch: :scratch:

David D

Bluechip:
Mr. F.

Yup, probably  :scratch:

Just re-calculated the ripple volts and the ESR, I'm a bit er ... near the max on ripple current, room for some larger caps. anyway. Just stabbed those two in 'cos I had them ..  Some you win etc.

Dave SD

PSU   Power Supply Unit ..

Your are Confussed .. wasn't he an ancient Chinese Sage  ... long thyme ago ....  :lol: ..... got stuffed in the end ??  

Yeah, OK, ... not funny ...  

What does it do  ??

Not depicted is the transformer that has 240Vac in and 7.5Vac out ... down the two yellow wires ..
This is rectified to about 10V DC .. or rectified AC as it used to be known ...
The 'raw' DC is smoothed out by the two capacitors .. the cylindrical wotsits on the right ..
( Unless the little bowgers go phutttt.. and eject their toxic guts in all directions ....  not unknown  :(   )
Having got some DC which will still have some ripple on it, we then purchase (at some £2 unless you are a SKIPRAT it seems ... ) a L200 regulator chip, which is the little black thing with a hole in the metal tab, sitting on 5 legs just inboard of the blue connector, extreme left. Having consulted the .pdf for the L200, which tells you how to deal with the thing, you whack a bit of a circuit board together, the yellowish thing with the L200 on it. And, having ensured the exits are clear, ..
Connect up, and switch on.  :zap:  :zap:  :bang:
But NO, it works. Rather surprised. Not usually the case.
I use the slot drill to remove the copper off the circuit board. If you make a PCB for a power supply, most of the copper stays on. Saves messing about etching with Ferric Chloride. You can see the places where the copper has been removed, the greyish tracks on the board ..
The output voltage can be adjusted by the doings hanging about on the end of the two red wires .. all done by the L200 ..

That's it .. not very exciting really .. your Big Bertha Stirling much more enticing .. IMHO ..

Dave BC

Stilldrillin:

Hmmmm....... Thanks Dave!  :smart:

--- Quote from: Bluechip on July 30, 2010, 09:10:44 AM ---
That's it .. not very exciting really .. your Big Bertha Stirling much more enticing .. IMHO ..

Dave BC

--- End quote ---

Enticing? The turbo boost is exciting.........  :D

Note added lead, to stop it walking!  ::)

David D

Bluechip:

--- Quote from: Stilldrillin on July 30, 2010, 10:21:54 AM ---
Hmmmm....... Thanks Dave!  :smart:

--- Quote from: Bluechip on July 30, 2010, 09:10:44 AM ---

Dave BC

--- End quote ---

Enticing? The turbo boost is exciting.........  :D

Note added lead, to stop it walking!  ::)

David D

--- End quote ---

WOW ... sure you've got enough heat going in that engine ... :bugeye:

I see you've given up on the 'Carbon Footprint' aspect ... :lol:  :lol:

Nice .... engagingly brutal ... my sort of engine ... jealous ...

Dave BC

EDIT   .. BTW, your pic seems to be minus the little triangle thingy that makes it whizz round ...  :thumbup:  any chance ?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version