The Shop > Tools

Faceplate work

(1/4) > >>

Bernd:
I believe this would be the place to place this kind of info.  :-\

Not much is ever shown on faceplate work on a lathe. It's usally about the 3 jaw and 4 jaw chuck. Well, what happens when neither will do to hold the work because it's odd shaped or just can't be held in a jawed chuck. You would use the face plate. The newbie may be asking at this time, "What's a face plate?".

Below is a picture of a face plate. On it is mounted a sacirfical aluminum faceplate bolted on from the back. The blue part on the lathe will get mounted on the plate. Note that the blue part, the bottom part of a water well cap, is in two pieces. That's why the faceplate is used. I need to make the dia. 5.5". When made the cap is 6" dia.

Here the blue plate is mounted to the aluminum plate with 4 1/4-20 screws and a center draw rod to hold everything nice and tight. You'll notice I've changed lathes. The little 9X19 Grizzly belt slipped just trying to take a skim cut on the od of the part.

And here is the finished part. It also shows the "all-thread' rod I used as a draw rod to give the part more holding power.

This is one way to use a face plate. You can consider it a table that is horzontially held to do work. This could have been done on a mill with a rotory table or a CNC mill that can cut circles. Many ways of doing it, but when all you've got is a lathe, it's the best way. :)

Bernd

Brass_Machine:
I am currently working on a faceplate with a sliding work mount to make machining eccentrics an easier job. I will post pictures of it later.

Good job on this one!

Eric

Divided he ad:
Nice idea that sacrificial mounting plate.

I am not too happy to hear the 9x19 belt slips.... my 9x20 is basically the same machine!! Cest la vie!!

Now, what else can/have you made on the same said plate?

Ralph.

Bernd:

--- Quote from: Brass_Machine on September 17, 2008, 04:04:39 PM ---I am currently working on a faceplate with a sliding work mount to make machining eccentrics an easier job. I will post pictures of it later.
--- End quote ---

Guy of Bedside reader fame has one in one of his books I think. :-\  I kind of like that idea too for eccentrics. I'm going to have to look now that you got my curiosity up.

--- Quote ---Good job on this one!

Eric

--- End quote ---

Why thank thee sir. Just trying to help get this forum going with some ideas for newbies and us older generation.  8)

Bernd

Bernd:

--- Quote from: Divided he ad on September 17, 2008, 07:59:29 PM ---Nice idea that sacrificial mounting plate.
--- End quote ---

It saves on the wear and tear on the original faceplate. That piece and the one on the Logan lathe were both made from square 6061 1/2" thick aluminum plate.

--- Quote ---I am not too happy to hear the 9x19 belt slips.... my 9x20 is basically the same machine!! Cest la vie!!
--- End quote ---

I screwed up on that Ralph. It wasn't the belt but the pulley on the drive. It's set to break loose before the belt breaks. It's better that way. Apperently I was over taxing the lathe with the diameter I wanted to turn. I won't worry about your lathe.

--- Quote ---Now, what else can/have you made on the same said plate?

Ralph.

--- End quote ---

The one on the Grizzly lathe was made to turn a bushing that was pressed into a clutch assembly for a go-cart. I needed to hold the clutch so I could ream and bore the bushing to proper size. The face plate on the Logan? I can't remember what job it was used before this one. They are nice to use. I'll post to this thrread if I come up with more ideas on using the faceplate.

Bernd

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version