Author Topic: Indexable Turning Tool - which?  (Read 10258 times)

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
Indexable Turning Tool - which?
« on: August 30, 2010, 05:49:19 PM »
I`m sure this has been posted on here before or similar conversations have been had but I can not for the life of me find them!

I`m after a new indexable turning tool for the lathe and would rather get one that has been recommended than just pick one.

I currently use this type of round tip profiling tool:

It is good enough at removing material and it has its uses but it is a pain because most of my work requires turning up to a shoulder so I`m after a more standard turning tool:

It will be used in my boxford and I know of course there are all the usual suppliers, infact EVERY supplier stocks this common shape but I was hoping for a recommendation. I know the Greenwoods ones look good and I have seen these in use stripping metal for fun but they are sadly out of my budget:
http://www.greenwood-tools.co.uk/ishop/728/shopscr14.html

So any thoughts. I`m using HSS at present but I`m sick of re-sharpening and I like the other tipped tools I have so considering I have a few spare quid, I`m going o treat myself.

Chris

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
Re: Indexable Turning Tool - which?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 03:27:21 AM »
Chris,

Yer don't want to hear this....... I've got one, somewhere.  :scratch:

Used once/ twice. Unloved. Un needed.....  ::)

I would rather re sharpen. As, I believe, so would many others! 

Am I wrong?

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline Bluechip

• Madmodder Committee
  • Derbyshire UK
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 03:59:43 AM »
Hi Chris

They look similar to the Glanze ones I  got from Chronos. Mine is 10mm sq. to fit the Myford.

OK for some things like brass/bronze/FCMS, but the ( CCMT06 ?? ) tips are not very robust. Very easy to smash the cutting edge. Paricularly on alloy steel.  :bang:

HSS for me too ... or the Cintride brazed tip buggers .. and a green grit wheel on the grindy wotsit.

Your call ..

Dave BC

I have a few modest talents. Knowing what I'm doing isn't one of them.

Offline No1_sonuk

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 04:13:10 AM »
Am I wrong?

David D
Yes, you are wrong. :p

Chris,
I bought one of the "cheap" 5-holder sets from Chronos that use the triangular tips about a year ago.  I've used them with my Chester DB7 on plastics, aluminium, brass, mild steel and stainless steel and never had a problem with them so far.

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 10:02:02 AM »
Chris,

I also use the CCMT 060204 tipped tools ( to give them their correct number... :) )...I find the tipped boring bars are great, have two 10mm ones and the smaller 6mm (or is it 8?)

They are fragile to say the least...No good for interuppted cuts..(same goes for the brazed carbide tools..)

Horses for courses in my book....

Leastways any good sharp tool should cut it... :dremel:
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline Jasonb

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 11:48:21 AM »
I've got several of the Glanze ones from Chronos that take the CCMT tips, tend to use tham on the larger items and castings, LH, RH, Boring and the one that uses the other two corners. Not really much difference to the Greenwood ones as its the tip that does the work not so much the holder. For fine work I prefer HSS.

Jason

Offline djc

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2010, 03:19:09 PM »
As others have said, the Glanze bodies from Chronos are very well made for the price. However, their standard inserts are uniformly poor, being very brittle and prone to chipping. Brand name inserts off the 'Bay can be had for £2 per insert. Failing that, Cutwell Tools sell Korloy brand fairly cheap. The really sharp ones for aluminium are stunning on anything up to and including FCMS; two steps in sharpness below this work well on everything else.

One small thing to be wary of if your machine takes the 16mm shank ones. Glanze (Chronos or Tilgear) are the only people I've seen that use an 06 insert in this shank size. Everyone else (RDG, Rotagrip, Gloster Tooling) uses an 09 insert. Hence, if you ever buy any further 16mm shank CCMT bodies, you will have to buy a new range of inserts.

Offline j45on

• My tiny workshop Location Ashford Kent
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2010, 01:21:23 PM »
I have just got a set of glanze  tools from chronos and I wish I had got them ages ago now.
I was put off by people saying they were no good for small machines ( to much flex ) but they work great for me  :thumbup:
There is also a new glanze web site http://www.glanze.co.uk/
Jason

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2010, 04:34:13 PM »
Hi Chaps...some advice if you will:

I purchased one of these from RDG:
http://www.rdgtools.co.uk/acatalog/TURNING_TOOL__SCLCR_.html    12mm turning tool which takes a CCMT-06-02-04 tip

Then I purchased some ISCAR tips off ebay: CCMT 060204 SM IC9250
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200511834360&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Now considering the tips are labeled CCMT060204 - I thought they were the right ones, didn`t really consider the SM IC9250 bit. They have arrived today and they look too big with no hole in the middle. I take it I`ve purchased the wrong ones and wasted my money?!?!

Any links on ebay to a decent set of tips that will fit!?!?   

Offline 75Plus

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2010, 05:23:42 PM »
Chris, According to ANSI standards a CCMT insert is C=Diamond (80 degree), C=7 degree relief angle, M=Plus or minus .002-.004" from nominal IC,  T= hole, C-sink and chip groove. The other letters and numbers has to do with the physical size and the alloy used.

Look here:  http://www.anconline.com/nomenclatures/nomenclatureinserts.htm

If you received inserts without holes they shipped the wrong article.

Joe

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2010, 05:27:28 PM »
They will be the right size (that's the 06 bit), shape (CCMT), I can't remember what the 02 is & the 04 IIRC is the tip radius; all good so far.

As you say, with no centre hole, you're stuffed.

I bought a boring bar the other week that takes the same type of insert; I bought some spares from here:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180560733102

I've no idea what the "LF KC9110 (54)" means, the one in the picture looked right & had a hole in it, that was near enough for me. I've tried one out & it fits fine, but I've not yet used that size boring bar, so I can't tell you how it cuts. I bought a bigger b/b which takes an 09 tip; I have used that & have used a replacement Kennametal insert from the same seller in that one, and it did just fine.

PS: I see Joe has analysed the CCMT better than I did, so you might get your money back (or just flog 'em again yourself).
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2010, 05:30:12 PM »
Failing that, Cutwell Tools sell Korloy brand fairly cheap. The really sharp ones for aluminium are stunning on anything up to and including FCMS; two steps in sharpness below this work well on everything else.

Pardon my ignorance, but what is FCMS? Doh, I just worked it out - Free Cutting Mild Steel.

Do you have a link to these really sharp inserts, I would be interested in trying one out at some point.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 07:53:48 PM by AdeV »
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2010, 05:56:00 PM »
Thanks for your reply. I actually used this chart when I was confirming I was ordering the right thing, and I was sure I hadn`t gone wrong when I ordered them:
http://www.carbidedepot.com/formulas-insert-d.htm

As has already been said, I understood that the "T" means there is hole with a countersink.

I can`t believe this, I thought I was going mad. Ordered two items on Saturday off ebay - the tips and also 4 thrust bearings. Two parcels at the door for me, opened the tips up and no hole, opened the bearings up and just some bizzare tube like bearings, nothing like the 3 part thrust bearings I ordered.   :( :scratch: