Author Topic: Mitutoyo digital calipers died, coincidence??  (Read 7479 times)

Offline Sorekiwi

Mitutoyo digital calipers died, coincidence??
« on: September 06, 2010, 09:36:40 PM »
I bought 2 pairs of Mitutoyo digital calipers back in 1998 (when I was wealthy!!).  One pair went in my toolbox at work, and have gone through hell, the other pair spent about the first 5 years next to the computer for use when drawing parts in CAD, and then the last 7 years in my home workshop.

Well a month ago the pair at work died.- no display, nothing.  Put a new battery in - nothing.  Tried another battery out of a working set of calipers - nothing.  Oh well, they have been through hell and I guess 12 years isnt bad.

So a week later I go to use my ones at home.  Nothing, no display, nothing.  New battery, nothing.

What the hell??
Mike, expat Kiwi in NE Ohio, USA

Offline No1_sonuk

Re: Mitutoyo digital calipers died, coincidence??
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 04:50:38 AM »
Have you tried asking Mitutoyo?

Offline Lew_Merrick_PE

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 11:50:26 AM »
I bought 2 pairs of Mitutoyo digital calipers back in 1998 (when I was wealthy!!).  One pair went in my toolbox at work, and have gone through hell, the other pair spent about the first 5 years next to the computer for use when drawing parts in CAD, and then the last 7 years in my home workshop.

Well a month ago the pair at work died.- no display, nothing.  Put a new battery in - nothing.  Tried another battery out of a working set of calipers - nothing.  Oh well, they have been through hell and I guess 12 years isnt bad.

So a week later I go to use my ones at home.  Nothing, no display, nothing.  New battery, nothing.

What the hell??

The conspiracy theorist would say that their value engineering was a bit miscalculated (i.e. they should have "died" on the same day).  On the other hand, consider the components in an electronic measuring gage.  The first hand-held units made in the early-1980's cost serious $$$ (I spent nearly $10,000 on one for a program in 1984) and rarely lasted more than two years regardless of how you cared for them.  All it takes is one of the very fine "leads" to flex too often, get slightly corroded, thermally cycle too far, and "poof" -- the magic is gone.  They have certainly gotten better (and cheaper) over the years, but they are still a compromise of cost, weight, and functionality.

The first commercial "home computer" hit the market in 1974 (IMSAI, SWTP, and RCA/Elf).  They were expensive, unreliable, and extremely hard to use.  The price started dropping and reliability and ease of use started improving in 1979.  Trillions of dollars have been spent on the development of such beasties over the intervening years.  Who here is using a computer that is 12 years old?

There are quite a few Model A's and early Peugot's still in service.  Can you imagine any modern production car being runable in another 30 (much less 100) years?

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 12:52:53 PM »

Who here is using a computer that is 12 years old?

:wave:

Actually, I have a number of computers, ranging from 30+ years old to new. I had a 1994 HP machine in daily use up until just a few months ago, it was the 2nd PC I ever owned (the first PC I owned died young). It still works, it's just I no longer need to use it daily...

I have several Sharp MZ-80 computers (some K's, some B's), they all still work (some not as well as others, admittedly). Not to mention some QL's (25 years old), a couple of DEC MicroVaxen (20 years old, or thereabouts)...

There are quite a few Model A's and early Peugot's still in service.  Can you imagine any modern production car being runable in another 30 (much less 100) years?

It will depend on how much originality is valued. Obviously, the newer the car, the more complex the electronics. But, just as it is now possible to emulate a Sinclair Spectrum in the humblest of desktop PCs (with bags of computing power left over for other tasks), so it will be possible to emulate the electronics of current cars in future computers... so they'll still _run_, they just won't be 100% original.

That said, how many of today's cars can you really see being beautiful classics in 20-30 years time? Only the low-volume specials IMHO, and many of those use your basic GM crate engine, and they'll be available forever.
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline Sorekiwi

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010, 10:30:07 PM »
I have an old Pentium 2 computer here that is attached to a laser printer because my newer computer doesnt have a parallel port to operate that printer (which is awesome if you dont need color, and super fast).  It runs Windows 98 and boots up in no time at all.  Maybe once a month I turn it on, and wonder why I bothered with a newer computer...

I havent contacted Mitutoyo, I kinda figured they were way out of warranty, and Mitutoyo was a big enough company to make contacting the right person pretty much impossible.

But I still think it a little strange that they both died within a week of each other...
Mike, expat Kiwi in NE Ohio, USA

Offline Lew_Merrick_PE

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 01:50:59 AM »
Actually, until 2003 I was required by law to maintain an old S100 CP/M machine to access data stored on 8 inch floppies.  Do you have any idea what it cost to repair 8 inch floppy drives in the 1990's?  Exceptions prove rules.

Offline kwackers

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 04:29:27 AM »
Actually, until 2003 I was required by law to maintain an old S100 CP/M machine to access data stored on 8 inch floppies.  Do you have any idea what it cost to repair 8 inch floppy drives in the 1990's?  Exceptions prove rules.
I've a couple of 8" floppies (and a box of discs in my attic). Don't know if they still work though...

I've also got a 8" hard drive - think it's 2Mb (could be 5) that was used on an Apple II (which I've still got).

I really must get rid of some of this crap!

Offline Simon0362

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2010, 11:00:56 AM »
In the early 90s I used to work for a company that made emulators for old (in those days!) disk drives - so I replaced loads of 5MB hard drives with solid state, 80 MB removable drives and, the most interesting of all, a trio of head-per-track Burroughs drives dating back to the mid 1960s that were operating a mission critical task in the aviation world (and I still have the 220v-110v transformer from one of them)....interesting days which took me to all sorts of odd places. I know more about old disk drive interfaces than I care to admit as well....and I also know someone who can offer an 8" floppy emulator today...

(Sorry, no photos)
Simon

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2010, 11:18:04 AM »
I've a couple of 8" floppies (and a box of discs in my attic). Don't know if they still work though...

I've also got a 8" hard drive - think it's 2Mb (could be 5) that was used on an Apple II (which I've still got).

I really must get rid of some of this crap!

I'll cheerfully take that old "crap" off your hands - I'll even collect it! I'm a sucker for old computer hardware.... just ask the ex!

Same goes for anyone in the UK. If you can't be arsed eBaying it, just drop me a PM...

Cheers :)
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline Bluechip

• Madmodder Committee
  • Derbyshire UK
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2010, 12:15:53 PM »
Hi Ade

You should have been with me one day in 1998/9 at a scrappies in Brum.

Looking for a length of steel to use as a pinch bar, I saw a IBM noodle picker on the heap.

Strewth. Last time I saw one in action was about 1969  :scratch:

http://www.columbia.edu/acis/history/datacell.html

God only knows where it came from ... Brum's bit far inland for Noah ...

Not very Mitutoyo though   :offtopic:

Dave BC
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 12:21:34 PM by Bluechip »
I have a few modest talents. Knowing what I'm doing isn't one of them.

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2010, 06:53:58 PM »
Among my 'teasures' I have a nice continuity tester with Holerith brand on it!

On another shelf I have a rather sturdy steel box with rows of 'D' connectors and branded Ferranti.  This box which I have never opened is just the same as another box which had stacks of core ram!  A nice slice of core ram in a picture frame is a good converstion starter! :beer:
From the den of The Artful Bodger

Offline Bluechip

• Madmodder Committee
  • Derbyshire UK
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2010, 01:14:48 PM »
You got a bit plane ??

Long time since I saw one of those ..

No Piccy then?

Dave bC
I have a few modest talents. Knowing what I'm doing isn't one of them.