Author Topic: making a new compound crosslide  (Read 12552 times)

Offline johnny123

making a new compound crosslide
« on: June 11, 2010, 07:54:42 PM »
hello
I am  :smart: for ideas for a different type of compound cross slide for my taig. I have a craftsman 109 and the setup is so simple and neat. I want to incorporate that design to my taig with mods, but the darn clearance is the issue. Anyone know of others attempts or defeat with this build? The one from taig was a pain right from the beginning keeping it tight, moving it...etc. I do think this could be one of the greatest mods for this mighty little machine.
johnny

Offline johnny123

Re: making a new compound crosslide
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 09:48:46 PM »
hello all
This is challenging it seems. But I got a good start on it! What bothers me the most is the idea that I want to use the slide as my regular cutter base. This has to be built some what rigid or it isn't worth the time. :smart:

Offline johnny123

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2010, 07:07:31 PM »
Did I mention I love making dovetails?

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2010, 07:43:34 PM »
Hiya Johnny...

How about some pictures of what you are doing? Tell us more about the design.

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2010, 08:19:53 PM »
Johnny, you have obviously found a flaw in the design of the standard compound slide, but for those of us who don't own a Taig it's hard to suggest a solution unless you describe the problem. As Eric more politely put it,
 :worthless:

Andy

Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2010, 04:47:07 AM »
Johnny.......

Wot the other two sed.......  :worthless:

:thumbup:

David D

David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline madjackghengis

• big engine
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2010, 09:40:46 AM »
Hi Johnny, I don't know exactly what the problem is for you, I'm not familiar enough with the Taig, having only seen it in ads, however, when I just had a lathe, I bought a cross slide casting from Metal Lathe Accesories, one with T-slots so I could mill with the lathe.  Two versions were offered, one with a bulge so a compound could be easily mounted, the other being straight, with T-slots all the way from front to rear as a specific milling slide.  I bought the casting for the compound, did all the machining on the Logan lathe it was going on, a ten incher, with great instructions from Andy Loftquist, the owner of the company, and ample pictures showing all the machine work done on a nine inch South Bend.  I did it specifically so I could use an atlas top slide because I happen to like their design, and got one cheap off e-bay.  That is the cross slide I use to this day fifteen years later, and I still am very happy with the ten inch atlas top slide, as well as having a full length cross slide that will perform milling, or the slots and screw holes can be used to hold something down for boring for a very accurate bore.  I had to make several parts in order to convert, but the end result was a better performing lathe that would also function as a mill.  I also ended up buying the casting for the full width cross slide with T-slots end to end, and occasionally use it for milling, but not so often now that I have a bridgeport clone.  I highly recomend the atlas top slide, it is the same  as yours on the 109, but a bit larger, since Sears lathes are actually atlas.  I hope this helps just a bit. :bugeye: :thumbup:  mad jack

Offline Dean W

• My kingdom for a lathe!
    • Projects web pages
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2010, 09:25:07 PM »
I highly recomend the atlas top slide, it is the same  as yours on the 109, but a bit larger, since Sears lathes are actually atlas.  I hope this helps just a bit. :bugeye: :thumbup:  mad jack

Jack, not to pick a nit, but by way of plain old info; the Sears 109 lathes weren't made by Atlas.  They were a product of the AA company.  AA is for Ann Arbor.  They made the smallest of the old line of Sears Craftsman metal lathes, as well as those sold under the name Dunlap, Champion, and another I can't remember that was marketed in Canada.  At the same time, Atlas also made metal lathes for Sears, but they are a totally different machine.  Atlas and the AA company were not associated.

Johnny, still waiting to see what you come up with.  Hard to imagine what would be suitable for this given the small clearance and already low profile of the original design.  I don't have any problems with mine, but only use it when cutting tapers and such.  I'm sure you'll figure something out, judging from what you've already shown us with your Taig. 

Dean
Dean W.

Shop Projects:
http://www.deansphotographica.com/machining/projects/projects.html

Praise the Lord and pass the Carbide!

Offline madjackghengis

• big engine
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2010, 08:00:55 AM »
Dean, no problem nit-picking, I'd rather be right, than respected while being wrong.  I just know the later sears lathes were made by atlas, and assumed, of course that has its own payment plan.  I still recommend the atlas compound because it sits low, and is fairly easy to find one on e-bay and the like.  Making a top slide is not too difficult, but if there is any slop in it, or any lack of flatness at all, it will make life difficult particularly when you need accuracy, and it is a true need, and not a want.  Cast iron is best, because it is somewhat porous, and holds oil, having great bearing attributes as well.  If you decide to go on with making a slide, Johnny, I'd find a weight, one off one of those weight machines, for material for the base and the body, as they tend to be fairly consistent in their cast iron.  Use a left hand thread or you'll ruin your "muscle memory" forever, and never be able to operate anyone else's lathe and be handicapped for the rest of your life.  I'd suggest a piece of acme threaded rod, and buy a couple of their nuts, making use of one or two for the final nut you need, rather than trying to cut the acme thread if you're using the same lathe to work with, as you are fixing. :thumbup:  mad jack

Offline johnny123

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2010, 07:40:06 PM »
hey!
Pictures will soon appear :)
           johnny

Offline johnny123

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2010, 08:26:55 PM »
Hi
here is a few pictures of what I put together so far. Until you used a taig compound a few times in the middle of a project, or have tooling larger than 1/4'' You would know why I wanted to build a new one.