Author Topic: Piercing Saws and Abra Files  (Read 13477 times)

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
Piercing Saws and Abra Files
« on: June 17, 2010, 03:57:16 PM »
Hi Guys,
I`m looking to cross-out my clock wheels and Colin Thornes book, along with many other resources I have read, recommends a piercing saw. This is something I have never owned and before I lump right ahead and buy one, can anyone recommend any suitable? I know there are a good few on ebay ranging from £4 to £15 for one that is adjustable. Also, most of the ones on ebay don`t mention anything about saw blades but separate seachers bring up different diameter and sizes of blades. Could anyone recommend anything they would think is suitable for crossing out my clock wheels. It will mainly only be used for that job as I haven`t ever required one before! - probably cutting 2-5mm engravers brass sheet.

Colin Thorne also suggests using an Abra file or an Abra Saw but ebay doesn`t have anything on and google doesn`t throw up much on these at all. Anyone used one of these before and suggest a supplier or comment on their suitability for what I want to do.

Cheers
Chris 

Offline old-biker-uk

• Taunton, Somerset
    • An Old Biker's Stuff
Re: Piercing Saws and Abra Files
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 05:02:47 PM »
Chris - I do a bit of piercing (see here).
I use an old style saw and get my blades from Niqua in Germany. There are flashy new design saws on the market and clockmaking suppliers in this country would have blades.
I doubt an abrafile would provide the accuracy, they tend to go their own way!
There is a thread on piercing saws on PM here.
Ping me if you have specific questions.
Mark
What you say and what people hear are not always the same thing.

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2010, 05:07:49 PM »
Chris - I do a bit of piercing (see here).

That is amazing!!! Great Great work  :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Offline Dean W

• My kingdom for a lathe!
    • Projects web pages
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2010, 07:08:12 PM »
Beautiful work, Mark.

Chris, I also use a piercing or jewelers saw a lot.  You can get by without spending a lot of money.  One I bought years ago
was a cheap import, and it works as well as others I've used.  Get one that has an adjustable back so if you break a blade
off at the very end, you can still use that blade until it's blunt.

This kind will do fine.

For blades, you should be able to find them by the gross for reasonable money.  Get a packet that has a selection of sizes
so you can use the appropriate tooth count for the thickness of the material you are cutting.

These blades are about as cheap as they come.  You're probably going to break a lot as you learn how to use the saw,
so might as well get some cheaper ones to use up while you learn.

Even these cheap blades will cut gage plate and un-hardened tool steel.

And of course, they will cross out brass wheels just fine.

When you put your blade in the saw frame, position it so it will cut on the back stroke, with the teeth of
the blade facing the handle of the saw.  Then do your cutting on the back stroke.  That will keep the saw frame
from flexing and save you a lot of broken blades. 

You want the blade very well tensioned in the frame, so that it sings if you pluck it like a guitar string.  To
get it taut, put it in the frame clamps loosely and adjust the saw back to the proper length, then tighten
the back clamp knob to lock the back in place.  That's the knob near my forefinger in the first pic. 
Now lock the clamp on the saw blade nearest the handle.  Then push the far end of the frame against a bench
to put some tension on the frame, and tighten the front clamp on the other end of the blade.  When you release
the pressure from the saw frame against the bench, it will pull the blade nice and tight.  Give it a little flick with
your finger and listen to it.  It should go "Ping".

The saw frame shown in this post has a 3" throat and is made for blades 6" and less in length.  That saw and
a set of blades will run about $20-25 here in the States.  Cheap, and works just fine.

Dean

Dean W.

Shop Projects:
http://www.deansphotographica.com/machining/projects/projects.html

Praise the Lord and pass the Carbide!

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2010, 03:50:50 AM »
Thanks for your replies.

Dean - despite having a link to your website in your signature, I didn`t realise you were Dean from the legendoary deansphotographica.com , or at least if I did, I`d forgot. I`ve been reading your site for many months  :med: :med: :med:   especially the multi-tooth wheel cutter, they are excellent. The photo`s you take are great, your site has helped me a lot! Regarding the piercing saw, I`ll get one on order today and let you know how I get on.

Chris
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 04:22:19 AM by craynerd »

Offline Dean W

• My kingdom for a lathe!
    • Projects web pages
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2010, 01:13:46 AM »
Chris, thank you for the very kind remarks. 
I learned things the same way almost everyone else does; by watching guys who knew their stuff.   
Years come and go, and so have the old machinists who put up with my questions.   If we've learned
something, (and can remember it!), we owe it to the guys who taught us to share it with someone! 
Glad you like the web site.

Dean
Dean W.

Shop Projects:
http://www.deansphotographica.com/machining/projects/projects.html

Praise the Lord and pass the Carbide!

Offline andreas

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2010, 05:17:47 AM »
A small hint!!! never leave the blade on the frame if you gonna store it with other tools!! you will find it broken when you need it next time :thumbup:
Best regards
Andreas