Author Topic: Download section  (Read 4837 times)

Offline ozzie46

Download section
« on: June 26, 2010, 09:29:26 PM »
   Do we have a downloads section? If so where is it. I can't seem to find it.   :scratch: :scratch: :scratch:

Ron

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
Re: Download section
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2010, 09:45:54 PM »
Short answer no! why most of the items in the download sections on other forums are copyrighted and are posted by people that don't care if they are stealing other peoples work product.

As some body that has my work product stolen and used by pin headed morons, even before the internet. It has become worse as people in foreign countries, seem to think, that they can copy and post anything and claim authorship.

If this is a request to start a download section I have to vote no. Unless there will be strict authorship guidelines.
 :thumbup:
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 11:27:26 PM by PTsideshow »
"The internet just a figment, of my imagination!' 

There are only 3 things I can't do!"
Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
and I'm working on the first two!
glen

Offline crabsign69

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2010, 10:01:46 PM »
i have wondered about this too but never really asked. so now i know 

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2010, 04:28:10 AM »
Hi PT

I no you are against a download section and for good reason  ,Its just that i often do drawings of tooling i make , witch others may fined of interest .
Would it be possible IF we were to get a download section  , that the file to be uploaded must be passed by the admin first before it would be posted for others to download .

Regards Rob

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2010, 06:15:31 AM »
I have no problem with a download section, that is of "ORIGINAL CONTENT" . Like you are describing, it just seems as it moves in the the other direction. "Well this site is no longer up and out on the net, but I have a copy of it. So it is ok to republish it in the download section." Is the most common example.

Besides it's not up to me alone, Eric is the owner.

After the postings about the party using a former member here work product and description of it used by another and published in a magazine. Look at the comments by other members about it and he did give permission,and wanted no compensation .

And I'm sure the other moderators will chime in on it as that is the way this forum works. Other than banning spammers, the decisions are a group one with Eric's carrying the most weight as the owner/operator of this site.

Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
glen

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2010, 06:47:30 AM »
Quote from: PTsideshow
I have no problem with a download section, that is of "ORIGINAL CONTENT" .

Let me clarify the above statement, before some wag posts a comment.
"ORIGINAL CONTENT"by the person posting the content and not reposting of original content from another source.
 ::)

Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
glen

Offline ozzie46

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2010, 09:23:50 AM »

Glen I appreciate your stance and support  it on posting someone else's work and not giving appropriate credit to who ever it belongs to.

How ever if something is posted for free distribution on another site I see no problem with posting it else where. Let me say this again FREE  DISTRIBUTION content only.

It works over at HMEM. If  someone tries to post copy writed or questionable material it is removed. No if ands or buts.

Ron

Offline Lew_Merrick_PE

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2010, 11:39:53 AM »
Short answer no! why most of the items in the download sections on other forums are copyrighted and are posted by people that don't care if they are stealing other peoples work product.

As some body that has my work product stolen and used by pin headed morons, even before the internet. It has become worse as people in foreign countries, seem to think, that they can copy and post anything and claim authorship.

If this is a request to start a download section I have to vote no. Unless there will be strict authorship guidelines.

I suggest that anybody wishing to post things take a look at http://www.ScribD.com as an area to post things.  Most of my technical document are posted there (http://www.scribd.com/Lew%20Merrick).  I either need a separate place or a second ScribD log-on for things such as my general tooling documents and concept drawings I am willing to share.  I have not done anything about this yet, but I am sure I will.  In any case, posting things to another website and providing the link is an easy way around the potential liability issue.  The "problem" then becomes building a "link library" to make it easier to find things.  ???

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2010, 02:09:03 PM »
Quote from: ozzie46
It works over at HMEM. If  someone tries to post copy writed or questionable material it is removed. No if ands or buts.

First off this is not HMEW, and as I have said we will have to wait for the rest of the moderators, committee people and the owner to check in.

As Lew_Merrick_PE posted in the post before this that might be an option.

We do have a great link area for web site or other information that should be shared.  To please currently use the resource/links forum
« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 02:33:29 PM by PTsideshow »

Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
glen

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2010, 02:35:22 PM »
Hey Guys...

I had a download section up for awhile before. There are 2 issues with that... 1. it broke and I am having a hell of a time getting it back working. 2. It takes up resources.

While I agree that it can be a good thing, it can also be a bad thing. Some the reasons Glen pointed out come to mind. The other is it takes a lot of time to police it to make sure it isn't being abused.

It is one of those things I need to think about.

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2010, 08:55:57 PM »
I'm neutral on a upload/download section.  :coffee:

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds