Author Topic: Bird Poo  (Read 3114 times)

Offline klank

• Sunny East Devon
Bird Poo
« on: May 21, 2010, 10:47:42 AM »
Why is bird poo almost invariably white?

Its the season for summer swallows and seagulls to dive bomb my car parked in the drive - white splotches everywhere, Rue de la Merde!

This got me idly musing :-
Omnivores' effluent = brownish, herbivores (cow-pats) = brownish/green, but why white for birds?

Offline Bluechip

• Madmodder Committee
  • Derbyshire UK
Re: Bird Poo
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 10:53:33 AM »
Klank

No blackberries! ... purple crap when in season here ....

Dave BC
I have a few modest talents. Knowing what I'm doing isn't one of them.

Offline one_rod

• Chesterfield, Derbyshire.
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 04:50:20 PM »

Omnivores' effluent = brownish, herbivores (cow-pats) = brownish/green, but why white for birds?

Bird poo is white because of the amount of crystalline urea it contains.
Urea is a by-product of normal digestive processes which ground-dwelling creatures get rid of dissolved in their urine. (The name's a bit of a hint  ::))

Water weighs 1000kg per cubic metre, so if you want to fly under your own power you don't want to be carrying too much of it. As an evolutionary modification therefore, birds run their metabolism pretty dry, and don't have a bladder. There simply isn't enough water in a bird's discharge to dissolve the urea, hence the white colour.

Urea also contains a large amount of fixed nitrogen. This is why guano, massive accumulations of petrified bird poo, used to be such a valuable agricultural fertiliser.

Hey, I got to say "poo" twice in a post, and nobody can tell me off for it.......he, he, he......

one_rod.

"A season ticket for the one way ride..."

Offline Artie

• Down here in the Aussie sunshine/heat :-)
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 05:22:51 PM »
ahhhh..... mate...... this the sort of crap that noone is 'supposed' to know.....  :doh:
South Wales, wait...NEW South Wales... Batemans Bay.

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2010, 06:15:15 PM »
 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: its amazing what you learn on this forum ,,,,,never new that one rod ,,,,hope it comes up in the  pub quiz  :D
  :mmr: Rob

Offline klank

• Sunny East Devon
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2010, 06:58:31 PM »
Thanks rod, very nicely put. Birds have no bladder - wow. Does that also apply to Bats?

I seem to remember something about Urea and Wohler's synthesis in Organic Chemistry many many years ago - but it didn't look like bird droppings! Ammonium cyanate?

Oh well - same day, same shhh!

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2010, 08:09:55 PM »
Rod: Urea is a by-product of normal digestive processes which ground-dwelling creatures get rid of dissolved in their urine.

And good stuff it is, too! In the garden, if no-one is looking, I pee on the compost heap; it seems to speed up decomposition.

My Granddad, whose house now I live in, was more modest, and used a bucket in the garage when outdoors tending his vegetables. When it was half full, he topped up with water, and carefully poured a pattern on the lawn, about 10' x 30'. Within a couple of days his initials were spelled out in lush green grass, to Grandma's strong disapproval.

Andy

Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short