Gallery, Projects and General > Project Logs

Yamaha Cafe racer conversion with a modern touch

<< < (2/2)

Bernd:

--- Quote from: Brass_Machine on September 05, 2008, 04:08:44 PM ---
--- Quote from: Bernd on September 05, 2008, 02:26:02 PM ---Interesting project. I'm not a motorcycle enthusiast but do appreciate a nice looking bike.

You mentioned using csrbon fiber being used. I'd be very interested how you work that material and were one can get it.

Bernd

--- End quote ---

Watcha wanna know?

Eric

--- End quote ---

Bascially is it laid up like fiberglass? How do you shape it to fit curves? Do you use a cloth and a resin ?

I never seen it available at any kind of store or catalog. Have heard about the material and it's properties. That's why I'm asking these silly little questions.   ???

Bernd

Brass_Machine:

--- Quote from: Bernd on September 05, 2008, 10:35:03 PM ---
Bascially is it laid up like fiberglass? How do you shape it to fit curves? Do you use a cloth and a resin ?

I never seen it available at any kind of store or catalog. Have heard about the material and it's properties. That's why I'm asking these silly little questions.   ???

Bernd

--- End quote ---

Anything you can do with fiberglass you can basically do with CF. Wet lay-up or Vacuum bag are different options for home and small shop users. The main difference is I would not, under any circumstance use the resin from home depot or the auto parts store (Bondo brand).

You can find the fabric at a lot of places on the web. You can find a bunch of cut-offs etc on ebay to play around with for a good price. Ebay Search. I get most of supplies from fiberglast on the web. Resins, epoxies, CF, vacuum bagging supplies. They also have some free how tos. Fiberglast

You can also rent videos on CF work (including the ones fiberglast sells) at smartflix. Videos

Let me know if you want to know more. I will answer anyway I can.

Eric

Bernd:
Ok, so CF isn't handled much different than fiberglass. Use the proper cloth and resin and your all set.  :)

I just thought because of it's toughness that is was something special.

Oh I just had a revalattion. I was thinking kevlar instead of CF.  :o That's why all the questions.  :P Everything is perfectly clear now. Was thinking one material when we were talking about something completely different.  :D

That'll be all for the questions for now. Thanks.

Bernd

Brass_Machine:

--- Quote from: Bernd on September 07, 2008, 03:12:38 PM ---.... I was thinking kevlar instead of CF....

Bernd

--- End quote ---

Kevlar can be used just like CF or glass.

Eric

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version