Gallery, Projects and General > Project Logs

Yamaha Cafe racer conversion with a modern touch

(1/2) > >>

Brass_Machine:
I decided to start a project log of one of my many project bikes. I figure if i start the log, then I will be forced into making progress. The pictures will be coming this weekend (as soon as I organize the shop).

So this is what the project consists of:

I was given a 1981 Yamaha XS400 frame and engine. Nothing else. I have been acquiring parts as I go. Currently right now, I have the engine, frame, swingarm, rear shocks, battery box, airbox and wiring harness. I also have misc RZ350 parts... front end, swingarm and wheels.

The idea is to bolt the RZ350 front end to the frame. It fits, this has already been done.

I am going to modify the frame to take the RZ swingarm. This will be a pain as the swingarm pivot point is a little larger than the stock swingarm. plus the RZ has a monoshock suspension whil stock is a dual shock setup.

More modifications to the frame include cleanup of all the brackets that will not be needed. Removing the center stand. removing half of the subframe section and support to allow a cafe style seat.

The seat and tank will be carbon fiber units to my design.

The headlight bucket will be CF as well with CNC'd mounts.

The kickstand will be one of my signature CF items.

Rearsets will be designed and CNC'd.

I am keeping the airbox for induction instead of going to filter pods. This will allow me to run CF velocity stacks. Again, the airbox will be reconstructed from carbon fiber.

The engine will be cleaned up, powder coated and have new seals and gaskets. I may go to oversize pistons... I may not. The head will be velocity ported (not hogged out porting) with new cams. I am also thinking of using a microsquirt setup and fuel injecting the engine. Not sure about this as it is a HUGE undertaking.

The front fender will be used as a mold for a custom CF unit.

As you can see, it is getting an upgrade. Not quite the standard cafe build.

Thoughts?

Eric

Bernd:
Interesting project. I'm not a motorcycle enthusiast but do appreciate a nice looking bike.

You mentioned using csrbon fiber being used. I'd be very interested how you work that material and were one can get it.

Bernd

Rog02:
Cafe bikes seem to be the new flavor of the month.  I hammered a set of fairings for a BSA 650 last year.  The owner wanted something that would set himself apart from the run of the mill V-twin set. 

Brass_Machine:

--- Quote from: Rog02 on September 05, 2008, 03:29:07 PM ---Cafe bikes seem to be the new flavor of the month.  I hammered a set of fairings for a BSA 650 last year.  The owner wanted something that would set himself apart from the run of the mill V-twin set. 

--- End quote ---

yeah, they are starting to come around. I have been building them for a few years... owned some of that style for about 15 years. I predicted that cafes will  have their day under the sun again back in the late 90's.

Eric

Brass_Machine:

--- Quote from: Bernd on September 05, 2008, 02:26:02 PM ---Interesting project. I'm not a motorcycle enthusiast but do appreciate a nice looking bike.

You mentioned using csrbon fiber being used. I'd be very interested how you work that material and were one can get it.

Bernd

--- End quote ---

Watcha wanna know?

Eric

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version