Author Topic: I really, Really need to take C-List off my "Favorites List"  (Read 5014 times)

Offline Rog02

• Madmodder Committee
I'm sure most of us own at least one floor jack. I bought my first Lincoln/Walker about 30 years ago and paid handsomely for it. It served me well for all that time and made me a lot of money as has it's brethren that I acquired at various auctions. As an American made piece of equipment they are far heavier than the current crop of import clones and are rebuildable.

I recently downsized my shop a bit and sold off one of my two jacks only to find within a month that was a mistake. I have often considered purchasing one of the imports to backfill the loss, when last summer my trusty old Lincoln/Walker finally succumbed to old age and abuse. The hydraulic shop I had used in the past had gone out of business and the ones I called all told the thing wasn't worth fixing and could they put me through to their sales department. I rat holed the carcass and have been limping by on some cheap department store import jacks thinking that some day I would find some place that can and will restore mine back to it's former glory. I found a place on the web that sold me a rebuild kit and I made an attempt at installing the kit but decided against it when I had difficulty removing a large plug without damaging the pump body.

I got home yesterday after spending most of the day with my mother going to her doctor appointments and then running errands, etc.. I made a pot of coffee and settled in to see what I had missed out on and force of habit took me to check out C-List for the KC area. There I was, all settled in to spend the evening doing laundry and house hold chores when I spot this,

My garage door. Not so pretty, but it keeps out some of the wind.

Basically like new. A bit of dust and some surface rust from lack of use.

Data Tag

The jack was an hour and a half away but the $50 asking price had me hooked. I went back to the List and looked at several other ads for stuff I really had no interest but kept thinking the jack was too good to pass up so I called the number and was surprised to hear it was available and I was caller #1. I explained I was some distance away and it would be a couple of hours for me to get there. I expected to hear "The first with the cash gets it" but the lady said she would hold it for me for the evening since I was coming such a distance for an old jack.

Feed the cats, grab my coat, run by the ATM for the cash, Mickey D's for "road food" and off I head for the city. I pulled into the drive way exactly 1 3/4 hours after calling and collected my jack. The seller told me the phone had rung non-stop and she had given the callers numbers in line just in case I backed out. She seemed surprised that I drove so far to buy a jack that is no longer manufactured and I seemed so eager to pay $50 dollars.

Oh, and in the process of trying to find a sell price for this jack I found another shop that says they will rebuild and re-machine (hone the bore, recut the valve seats, etc.) my old one. It's going to cost me twice what I paid for this one. I'm CHUFFED to have 2 jacks again!
Roger
I'm OLD, I'm TIRED, and I'M GRUMPY!

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
Re: I really, Really need to take C-List off my "Favorites List"
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 06:37:30 PM »
Roger

Slow down Roger. I can't keep up with you at this pace and besides if you get too much stuff you will have to expand the shop.  :lol: :lol:

Cheers  :beer:

Don

Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Online Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2010, 06:14:49 PM »
I have a similar jack. I think it is older than me... outlasted several import jacks. Well worth the $50! Nice find you got there.

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline DABIRDGUY

• glennsplace.com
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 04:52:20 PM »
Craigslist IS a wonderful place.
I scored a 40's Snap-On Upper tool box for $100 Saturday.

Hey...it keeps me broke. :)

Offline swhite

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010, 01:20:48 PM »
Roger,
On the old one you can try to use compressed air to remove the piston, we used compressed air to remove brake pistons when they didn't want to come out.

Nice find on the new jack, I found a metal lathe that looked like it was in top shape on Craigs list, I emailed the guy and never heard back from him so I waited a few days and called him on the phone and found out that he was old and never checked the email and a guy showed up while I was on the phone and bought it. You can get some great deals if you can ever reach the person selling it..
Steve W.