Author Topic: Marking out gets dragged screaming and kicking into the 20th Century.  (Read 6879 times)

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
Sorting some crap out and came across a spare set of Digital verynears, No idea where they came from, they are in a purple case?
Everyone I know who sells them are in either black plastic or Aldi / Lidl wooden ones ?
Anyway sod it I digress again.

These things now are a consumables, a far cry from the first set I had at £108 and any butchering is allowed, at least on Fridays ::)

So without more addoo  da da

Points ground off the fixed end and the moving bit backed off even further so the fixed jaw gives some support. Sharpened up enought to poke Welshman and you have a set of DIGITAL odd leg very nears, wow so who's a smartypants then ? :clap:

JS.
John Stevenson

bogstandard

Very nice one J.

I do sometimes use my old knock about digiverns like that, but it never occurred to me to grind 'em up into a proper tool.

I must have half a dozen knocking about the shop, so a couple ground up like that won't go amiss.

John

Offline Weston Bye

• Grand Blanc, Michigan
Good one John.  I have a battery-eating Chinese clapper that I don't use often that seems just the candidate for your procedure - right after I fit it with an extra switch so I don't have to remove the battery between uses.
 :proj:
Weston Bye
Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts.
author of The Mechatronist column
Digital Machinist magazine

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
Nice Mod JS.... Very worthwhile  :dremel:  :thumbup:

I shall buy some more than I usually would next time Aldi gets a load in  :)

Ralph.
I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
Oooooh...... I like that one John!  :clap:

Blummin good thinking!  :thumbup:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
John, you don't post very often, but you sure make sure it's worthy when you do I notice.... :thumbup:

Nice mod, I used my calipers in that way but modding a spare pair is now deff on the cards...thanks for the tip  :ddb:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline cedge

• Madmodder Committee
John
Welcome to the party...(grin). I bought a couple of CD by Jose Rodriguez, way back when I first began trying to learn to machine. The caliper trick was one of his best suggestions. I promptly made one and it made a world of difference in my layouts. I'd be lost without mine.

It's not only good for flat table work. Use it on the lathe to mark diameter size on the end of round stock  or mark a cut line. Excellent on the mill to locate a quick cut line or mark to off a hole location. Just place the long tine on the outer surface or edge and mark away.

Steve

Offline Rog02

• Madmodder Committee
Old tricks keep coming up for air!

I have a set of "El Cheapo" dial calipers that took a header off the bosses desk one too many times.  He was going to toss them in the scrap bin when I made a running, diving interception from the far end of the shop.  I ground the OD jaws as shown and use them for locating the center line on tubing in airframes and roll cages.  It makes doing cluster welds a snap.  They also come in handy for establishing a rivet line for skin panels and scribing joggle lines for flush fit ups and patches. 

Roger
I'm OLD, I'm TIRED, and I'M GRUMPY!

Offline troup

Fantastic, thanks John!