The Shop > Composites & Plastics

Protecting Ali Moulds

<< < (2/3) > >>

ant...:
Ah yes thats a brilliant link, thanks.

Ive found a kit on ebay for £55 too, but id rather find a local anodizing service, just because my garage is filled with lathe stuff, heat cupboard, vacuum systems, compressor, spray painting, tools, etc, etc, etc.  If im gonna add another service to my cluttered garage then it must be something i will use often  :dremel:

75Plus:
Check your industrial gases dealer about the availability of nitrogen. If you store the molds in an airtight container then purge the oxygen with nitrogen there will be no oxidation.  Nitrogen is inert and safe to have around the shop.

Joe

ant...:

--- Quote from: 75Plus on May 14, 2010, 09:10:26 PM ---If you store the molds in an airtight container then purge the oxygen with nitrogen there will be no oxidation. 

--- End quote ---

Wow mate, thats definately a solution, if not a bit extreme  :clap:

What i was really looking for was to find what is officially used by most industrial manufacturers.

After doing some searching ive found a company offering ceramic coatings http://www.keronite.com/tooling_moulding.asp Probably too expensive though.

ken572:
Ant,

If you have a good chrome plating shop close to your shop, they can put
a good smooth shiny hard chrome finish on aluminum for you. :thumbup:

Ken.

rowbare:
Perhaps a Ziploc freezer bag with a couple of oxygen absorbers/hand warmers tossed in might do the trick. A heat-sealed mylar bag would certainly be better but if you use the moulds fairly often, the Ziplocs might work.

bob

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version