Author Topic: Tandem Compound Poppet Valve Steam Engine Build, ala Cedge  (Read 43764 times)

Offline cedge

• Madmodder Committee
Re: Tandem Compound Poppet Valve Steam Engine Build, ala Cedge
« Reply #50 on: May 13, 2010, 01:17:27 AM »
Tim
About time for you to drop in for another visit....LOL. Thanks for the vote of confidence. True... I do have more than a few extras laying about. Luckily, many of them get recycled into new parts.... or sometimes just new extras....LOL. My scrap box runneth over.

Steve

Offline madjackghengis

• big engine
« Reply #51 on: May 13, 2010, 09:47:42 AM »
Hi Cedge, the funny part is if you continue to build long enough, most of those parts which didn't work either work in another project, and some of the work is already done, or they are already pared down "stock", from which to make different parts from.  I do buy new stock from time to time, but most of what I use comes out of scrap I've collected, or scrap I've found at the scrap yard, and traded my scrap metal for their scrap metal, usually with me kicking in some "to boot".  It doesn't do any good to throw them when you screw a piece up, you either have to go pick it up and put it in the box, or you run over it with the lawnmower, or when you do get that sudden bit of inspiration, and see where it would be perfect, you have to go find the thing in the dirt under the grass.  Easier just to toss it in the box and pretend you aren't upset, and it doesn't affect you.  :headbang: mad jack

Offline cedge

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #52 on: May 15, 2010, 01:34:38 PM »
Jack...
My horde of extras has saved me a lot of money. Some of the smaller pieces are almost embarrassingly small from having things whittled from them. I don't throw dollars into the woods either....LOL.

The past week has been a bit of a grind. The rib has gotten less sore, but only because I haven't given in to it. Teeth are now fully ground and my reflexes are quite highly honed to any movement near the damned thing. I still managed to get a few things done, but this morning was the first time back turning the dials on the mill. Most of my time has been spent cleaning up solder spots, fine tuning some of the hand filed stuff and cussing the cat. He likes it when I'm doing bench work and tends to land in my lap at the most inopportune moments.

Today I tackled a small conundrum. The arms need two small but accurately placed holes in each of the small webs at the big ends. The snarl comes when you realize there are no straight edges to clamp in the vice. Add to that the fact the the hand shaping was done to visual standards rather than to specific measurements and you've got to think out of the box, down the block and around the corner to find your solution. Ok.... so maybe not quite that far, but I've still got to drill the holes and they have to be uniformly located to match up to studs and against a solid edge.. So what's an overbeard, nearly no haired, former leaping gnome to do?

Two points in the making of the arms were rock solid.... the two pivots. Everything I did to the arms was based on them, so we know they are indexable. That is where it begins. I drilled holes to fit 3/16 dowel pins in a small chunk of aluminum, on the same centers as the original tooling plate.

I touched off the bottom edge of the stanchion to establish my cut line and then removed it so nothing untoward happened to it. I then made a light cut and replaced the arm to check the fit. With one minor move of the X axis, the fit was nice and snug without needing any significant force to seat the dowel pin in the head hole. If you've noticed the small notch on the bottom side, you'll have to forgive me for taking you along on the second run through of this process....(grin).

Here you'll see the slot I added to give the drill bit access to the brass part when the drilling begins. The part was simply too narrow to allow drilling guide holes, so the open galley was Hobson's Choice.

The addition of a hold down was not a choice but a requirement. There isn't a lot of meat holding the base of the stanchions so some support in the way of a 6-32 screw will help ward off the gremlins from attacking during a delicate bit of drilling.

The extra metal on the "big end" will have to go if I'm to be able to access the part with a center drill. I do not drill holes without having center drilled them, even in nice open easy work spots. I'm certainly not going to miss doing it in a tight spot like this. I've got one shot at getting it right, so I'm giving things a lot of ounces of prevention here. My handy dandy carbide tipped arbor saw made quick and clean work of the task.

Here is the jig after both sides were cut and the excess metal removed. The reason for needing both sides may not be obvious. The two cylinders are of different diameters. This is because they combine to form a compound system where the larger cylinder accepts expanded steam from the smaller high pressure cylinder. Expanded steam requires more room so the low pressure cylinder has a larger bore and therefore a larger outer diameter.

The arms were cut to fit the larger diameter for convenience, knowing that a modification would be needed.  A .060 rim was then cut and soldered to the bases of two of the arms. This gives the holes in the heads the same elevation so they accept the 3/16 shaft without binding. Two different diameters means I had to cut two different sized arcs in the jig.

This little jig will serve double duty as I continue to hand fit the stanchions. It will give me a good reference for keeping things square as I continue to remove tool marks and head for the final polishing phase. I like it when one tool can do more than one thing..... a bit of efficiency laziness never hurt anyone....LOL.

This project didn't make any major advances in the engines, but it does give me a chance to share jig making with the new guys. There are many ways to skin a cat and setting up a jig is one of them. Don't let yourself get stymied by a vise and clamps when a part is not an easy set up. Look at it and see if you can secure it with something that is easier to tie down.... and then make your own jig.

Steve 

« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 01:55:09 PM by cedge »

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #53 on: May 15, 2010, 05:09:31 PM »
Nice setup Steve. Parts are looking fantastic!

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline shoey51

« Reply #54 on: May 15, 2010, 07:39:28 PM »
 :bow: :bow: :bow: nicely done Steve Im learning all the time :clap:

Offline cedge

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #55 on: May 19, 2010, 03:48:50 PM »
The rib is still pretty sore so I've been doing hand work and some of the details that would normally wait until later in the project. I'm really not enjoying the lathe or the mill at the moment, so no huge dramatic tricks in this post.

The original engines of this sort had added support for the long cross head guides. I had planned to leave this detail off the engines, but since I'm stuck with doing detail work so early in the project, I decided to give it a go. This meant reheated an already complicated solder job for more soldering. The "fin" was cut on the mill for a snug fit on the ends. making it a little easier to position the piece and get it centered. I turned a plug of aluminum to fit the bore so the window pieces were supported from within. Once the fin was in place, the whole cross head guide was wrapped at 3 points on the outer surface with thin mechanics wire to lock the window against the plug. This assured nothing was going to move, even if there might be some new solder seepage. After sweating the piece in, a bit of hand work was called for to clean the joints and polish out some file marks, here is what I had when it was all over.

http://cedesign.net/steam/images/misc/multi-valve/build/detail-1.jpg

All the stanchions are now fitted and their tiny studs trimmed to size. The studs were a bit of a challenge mostly because of the 1-72 threads wanting to strip the first time I tapped them. A bit of minor adjustment to me, the operator, soon sorted things out as I once again learned the need to be patient when working with tiny things. The stanchions fit just as hoped for and the shaft alignment is dead on centerline and free enough to turn with two fingers.  The fit is such that the arms are not yet bolted down in this photos. Did I mention that I really do love the DRO on the mill?

http://cedesign.net/steam/images/misc/multi-valve/build/detail-2.jpg

Almost all the 2-56 studs have been trimmed and will get their nuts when I begin the final assembly phase. The valve ports are now opened up in the low pressure cylinder and have received some hand work to give their edges a nice rounded shape. This was done using small needle files and 400 grit sand paper to keep things smooth and properly shaped. It only takes a tiny bit of misplaced sanding to show like a sore thumb, so great care is being taken to get it right. After all... I've got the time, while I'm not getting to make bigger parts....(grin)

The cylinder head was given a 3/8 ball to finish it out. This was made using my handy dandy ball turning attachment. I think it added just the right touch to the overall look.

http://cedesign.net/steam/images/misc/multi-valve/build/detail-3.jpg

Here is the obligatory test fit photo. Nothing but the cross head guide is bolted on. The joints are all nice and tight, the graphite packing is installed in the stuffing boxes of the glands and the pistons and cam shaft are aligned well enough to move by hand. Once it is all secured, a bit of run in time should loosen things up nicely.

http://cedesign.net/steam/images/misc/multi-valve/build/detail-4.jpg

Steve

Offline chuck foster

« Reply #56 on: May 19, 2010, 05:27:17 PM »
as my kids would say "steve thats sick"..............and an old fart like me would say "holy $#*! that is some amazing workmanship"  :bow: :bow:

do you have plans or do you just see it in your head and build it?

chuck  :wave:
hitting and missing all the way :)

former hmem member

Offline cedge

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #57 on: May 19, 2010, 07:20:40 PM »
Thanks Chuck
No plans, just a few sketches from photos found around the net. I just build what I see behind my eyeballs....LOL. not everyone's cuppa tea but it keeps me at home and out of trouble. The wife still says it's all cheaper than my days trolling the bars and pubs... and she knows where to find me.

Steve

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #58 on: May 20, 2010, 03:18:43 AM »
as my kids would say "steve thats sick"..............and an old fart like me would say "holy $#*! that is some amazing workmanship"  :bow: :bow:

chuck  :wave:

Chuck,

I just sit here, eyes wide.....  :bugeye: ........ And shake me head in admiration!

Steve,

I wish I had just a little of your imagination..... 

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #59 on: May 20, 2010, 08:47:00 AM »
Steve,

Outstanding hand work. All those blended corners looks realy nice.  :thumbup:

I need to learn that type of paitents. Can't wait to see and hear that engine run.

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline madjackghengis

• big engine
« Reply #60 on: May 21, 2010, 07:31:45 AM »
The rib is still pretty sore so I've been doing hand work and some of the details that would normally wait until later in the project. I'm really not enjoying the lathe or the mill at the moment, so no huge dramatic tricks in this post.

The original engines of this sort had added support for the long cross head guides. I had planned to leave this detail off the engines, but since I'm stuck with doing detail work so early in the project, I decided to give it a go. This meant reheated an already complicated solder job for more soldering. The "fin" was cut on the mill for a snug fit on the ends. making it a little easier to position the piece and get it centered. I turned a plug of aluminum to fit the bore so the window pieces were supported from within. Once the fin was in place, the whole cross head guide was wrapped at 3 points on the outer surface with thin mechanics wire to lock the window against the plug. This assured nothing was going to move, even if there might be some new solder seepage. After sweating the piece in, a bit of hand work was called for to clean the joints and polish out some file marks, here is what I had when it was all over.

http://cedesign.net/steam/images/misc/multi-valve/build/detail-1.jpg

All the stanchions are now fitted and their tiny studs trimmed to size. The studs were a bit of a challenge mostly because of the 1-72 threads wanting to strip the first time I tapped them. A bit of minor adjustment to me, the operator, soon sorted things out as I once again learned the need to be patient when working with tiny things. The stanchions fit just as hoped for and the shaft alignment is dead on centerline and free enough to turn with two fingers.  The fit is such that the arms are not yet bolted down in this photos. Did I mention that I really do love the DRO on the mill?

http://cedesign.net/steam/images/misc/multi-valve/build/detail-2.jpg

Almost all the 2-56 studs have been trimmed and will get their nuts when I begin the final assembly phase. The valve ports are now opened up in the low pressure cylinder and have received some hand work to give their edges a nice rounded shape. This was done using small needle files and 400 grit sand paper to keep things smooth and properly shaped. It only takes a tiny bit of misplaced sanding to show like a sore thumb, so great care is being taken to get it right. After all... I've got the time, while I'm not getting to make bigger parts....(grin)

The cylinder head was given a 3/8 ball to finish it out. This was made using my handy dandy ball turning attachment. I think it added just the right touch to the overall look.

http://cedesign.net/steam/images/misc/multi-valve/build/detail-3.jpg

Here is the obligatory test fit photo. Nothing but the cross head guide is bolted on. The joints are all nice and tight, the graphite packing is installed in the stuffing boxes of the glands and the pistons and cam shaft are aligned well enough to move by hand. Once it is all secured, a bit of run in time should loosen things up nicely.

http://cedesign.net/steam/images/misc/multi-valve/build/detail-4.jpg

Steve

You know Cedge, adding that support was kind of crazy, you know, unplanned, a momentary thought, probably caused by medication for the rib, which I keep avoiding calling it, but you do beautiful work, and it looks like it was made there in the first place.  Nice fit with the valve rod stanchions, just waiting to see it with it together and running.  It's kind of hard to work to plans when pictures are always forming inside your head, isn't it?  You've definitely captured a look which runs throughout the engines, puts them back about a hundred years or so, when steam was king.  Truly awe inspiring workmanship.  mad jack

Offline cedge

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #61 on: May 21, 2010, 04:30:46 PM »
Jack
Sometimes it's a little like living inside a Kaleidoscope. The design keeps evolving, even when I'm sleeping. I was designing the valves in my dreams last night. Picking the changes that will work is the hard part.

Steve

Offline madjackghengis

• big engine
« Reply #62 on: May 22, 2010, 11:32:33 AM »
Jack
Sometimes it's a little like living inside a Kaleidoscope. The design keeps evolving, even when I'm sleeping. I was designing the valves in my dreams last night. Picking the changes that will work is the hard part.

Steve
You know Steve, it sounds like we do much of our work in the same way.  I can look at plans, consider what they suggest, and intend to follow them, but once I start cutting, the ideas which are mine, and hid in the back of my mind while reading, come out and insist on being used, and I've found my work generally turns out the better for it.  Where are you located, if you don't mind my asking?  I'm in eastern North Carolina, having served here for years in the Corps, I decided to stay and not return to Chicago for some odd reason.  By the way, putting in a piece of aluminum to absorb the heat and keep from screwing up the rest of the soldering was a good plan and looks like it worked out nicely for your soldering job.  mad jack

Offline cedge

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #63 on: May 24, 2010, 11:47:46 AM »
Jack....
Sticking to the instructions was never something I willing did. If I tried, I'd soon lose interest in the project. I'm perfectly content to wander off in my own direction if only to see how much trouble I can get into....LOL  I'm not all that from away from you. I'm in North Western SC, just down road from the Greer BMW plant. Check your private messages for my phone number.

Still taking it easy, but I did manage a little time on the mill.... for which I duly paid the toll. I'm ready to begin establishing the elevation for the crank and flywheel which will soon need to be made and fitted. The project for the day became making the first of two stands that support the cylinders. As the photo below shows, things began with a bit of layout work. The design was scribed into the brass as a guide, although some adjustment would naturally occur during machining, as needed to please the eye.

http://cedesign.net/steam/images/misc/multi-valve/build/stand-1.jpg

The first step was to drill a couple of pivot points. The marks were center drilled after the wiggler was used to locate them.

http://cedesign.net/steam/images/misc/multi-valve/build/stand-2.jpg

This piece does not have but a couple of critical dimensions, height and the radius that will support the cylinder, The other radii were cut using an end mill and were simply aligned according to the marks. This allowed me to sneak up on the lines before milling the holes.  These holes serve a dual function by creating a nice curve at various places on the part while giving me escape points for the straight cuts.

Here you see the web being milled, using a small 1/16 ball end mill. This is where the visual adjustment came into play. The original layout was for 1/16 flanges, but this proved to look a little clunky so they quickly became 1/32 wide.

The small table in the photo is a modification of the Rounding Table Marv Klotz introduced to the forum in days gone by. Mine has a round top making it perfect for not only rounding ends and cutting arcs, but for things like these web cuts on angles. The stops make it easy to align the cut and hold in in place.

http://cedesign.net/steam/images/misc/multi-valve/build/stand-3.jpg

Here is the "finished" stand, needing only a little more tool mark removal and a couple of holes to secure it to the collar of the cylinder assembly. The flat base and The edges of the flanges were rounded a bit and the feet were blended into the base.

http://cedesign.net/steam/images/misc/multi-valve/build/stand-4.jpg

Amazingly, the cylinder assembly is almost perfectly balanced and will sit atop the stand with no assistance. I'll still need to add a second support under the cross head guide to compete this phase. I'm quickly running out of things to do that don't require working on the machines, so lets hope some significant healing begins real soon.

http://cedesign.net/steam/images/misc/multi-valve/build/stand-5.jpg

Steve

Offline shoey51

« Reply #64 on: May 24, 2010, 02:43:12 PM »
that is dropdead gorgous Steve. I wish I had your tallents then I would have finished my loco ages ago instead of a box full of useles parts and no enthusiasm to continue :(

cheers graham

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #65 on: May 24, 2010, 02:53:45 PM »
Wow Steve, that looks nice indeedy!

Learning a lot from this build. I have always wondered how people get certain shapes when machine things... now I know some!

Top job

that is dropdead gorgous Steve. I wish I had your tallents then I would have finished my loco ages ago instead of a box full of useles parts and no enthusiasm to continue :(

cheers graham

Graham... don't give up. Take a break. Make something else. Take enthusiasm from Steve and others!

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline cedge

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #66 on: May 27, 2010, 02:22:04 PM »
Graham... you need to discover the theory of making "one perfect part". By making one part at a time, both physically and mentally and forgetting there are 300 more to go, you take the pressure off the project and before you know it, all 301 pieces are ready to assemble and test.

Still getting bits and pieces done here. The cross head guide support is done, but hardly warranted a post after the last support was already documented. It came out nicely and fits well enough that I'm hoping no shimming will be required for final assembly.

http://cedesign.net/steam/images/misc/multi-valve/build/stand-7.jpg

The next photo is somewhat of a teaser, as it shows a bit of the thought process going on about things in the future of the build. I've been waiting for Birchwood Casey to ship me the Brass Black I'd recently ordered. This stuff is basically a tarnishing agent that will produce a deep black finish without changing any dimensions. Paint could have been used, but it doesn't adhere to brass very well.I had considered Japanning the surfaces, but that technique is hard to control and getting it off unwanted surfaces is a challenge. The Brass Black was the next best solution.  Why not use natures own process?. We al know how stubborn that surface finish can be....LOL

Oh yeah... you noticed the bricks.....(grin). This engine will be displayed as if it were on a factory floor. The bricks are from the doll house department of a local hobby shop. Doll house guys are quite demanding, where materials are concerned, and these bricks are no exception. They are made to 1:12 scale and are actually made from real clay. they come in sheets and can be cut to fit the need. More on this subject when it comes time to use them in anger.

http://cedesign.net/steam/images/misc/multi-valve/build/stand-6.jpg

Steve

Offline shoey51

« Reply #67 on: May 27, 2010, 03:56:27 PM »
thanks for the encouragement Steve. Im liking what I see even more and the bricks will be magic :thumbup: :clap: :clap:
cheers Graham

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #68 on: May 27, 2010, 04:03:34 PM »
thanks for the encouragement Steve. Im liking what I see even more and the bricks will be magic :thumbup: :clap: :clap:
cheers Graham

The whole blummin lot`s magic to me, Graham!  :bugeye: :bow:  :bow:

Incidentally..... Shouldn`t you be in bed?  :scratch:

I nearly am!  :thumbup:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline shoey51

« Reply #69 on: May 27, 2010, 04:08:37 PM »
607 am david time to get up here
sorry for the off topic

cheers Graham

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #70 on: May 27, 2010, 09:32:07 PM »
Boy I wish bricks like that came in 1 to 1 size. I'd probably have the out side of the house donw by now.  :lol:  :lol:

I was going to ask were you got those nice looking bricks from, but you answered that in the second pic. Nice job Steve. That black is going to look real nice with that shiny brass. Nice contrast.

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline cedge

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #71 on: May 29, 2010, 09:39:06 PM »
Jeeze guys.... LOL.

Didn't get a lot done tonight, but a little progress beats none at all. I spent most of the day at a local tractor and engine show and met lots of miniature engineering fans and even a local hobby machinist or two.

The valve bases on one cylinder are now ready to receive their bosses, so that I can move on to the other cylinder for some catch up. Once all the new bosses are installed and I have fresh indexing points, I'll switch over and catch up on the third cylinder, before moving on to the cranks and flywheels.

Not sure if the rivets will stay brass or if i will wind up blacking them. They are actually escutcheon pins (small brass dome head nails) that were trimmed and then red loctite was used to secure them.  40 down, 80 more to go.

Steve

Offline madjackghengis

• big engine
« Reply #72 on: June 03, 2010, 10:56:45 AM »
Hi Steve, you know what you said to Graham is good advice for anyone starting in any field that relies on skill, as it doesn't just show up, it is discovered one little piece at a time, and more of the final fit and finish can be attributed to "muscle memory" than anything in the brain housing group, it's not enough to know how to do it, you have to know what it feels like when you're doing it right, and only practice can ever give one "feel", not even if your work involves a fifty pound wrecking bar meant for breaking up reinforced concrete.
    Paying attention to those who have done it, and offer advice is a good idea too, I tried to get around doing a bunch of glass beading by using an acid etching solution and ended up ruining some carefully machined parts instead of prepping them for the parkerizing I was intending, and had to do the glass beading, and will now be re-making the half a dozen parts I ruined.
    By the way, did I tell you how great your engine is looking, sitting on that brick, just waiting for a flywheel and con rod?  I'm really looking forward to the video :ddb: :nrocks: :thumbup: :lol: mad jack

Offline cedge

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #73 on: June 04, 2010, 03:06:20 PM »
Jack...
I owe the credo to Bogstandard. I was a bit overwhelmed during one of my earlier projects, trying to keep a whole lot of balls in the air at the same time. He suggested that I stop trying to build the whole project and simply build the parts. Since then, I've been a firm believer in the idea. It sure takes a lot of pressure and confusion out of the mix.

Not much in the way of new tricks or tips of late since everything has been pretty much reapeating things already posted. Lots of holes drilled and filled to get where things are now. the pistons and cross head are now in place, the bosses have been turned and loctited into place to receive the valves and the brass black has crept onto some other parts. I'm well pleased with the finish this stuff rendered and will definitely make use of it on other projects.

The vertical stubs on cylinder #2 are only there to give me some idea of elevations and angles for the push rods and eccentrics that will control the valves. From here it's time to attack the other engine and bring it up to the same point in the build, before beginning the cranks, con-rods and flywheels. Other items like governors, shut off valves and mechanical and cup oilers are also beginning to creep into the master plan, so there is a lot left to do. 

Steve

http://cedesign.net/steam/images/misc/multi-valve/build/guide-fita.jpg

Offline madjackghengis

• big engine
« Reply #74 on: June 05, 2010, 09:07:00 AM »
Hi Steve, you're really looking good there, but typically, you toss a bone, and then you give us a whack on the head :lol:  so now you've got to bring the other engine up to this point before you start on the flywheel and ancillary parts, it's all a conspiracy to make us wait, I can tell :headbang:  I can't speak for others, but I'm dying to watch you connect the con rod and the flywheels to that beautiful rod guide you just added a rib to.  That blacking really sets off the brass and bronze and looks fantastic.  When I first was learning to be a mechanic, it seemed to me it was impossible to keep up with too many parts, and some of the things I took apart never went together again.  Not long after that, I figured out if I could just see where one part fit, and then fit it in place, and looked, there would be another part which would be the only other part that could fit somewhere, and following this, just like looking at making only one piece at a time, I was able to fix things because I could focus on the work without being overwhelmed by numbers of parts, and the confusion of the pile.  I've found that even the projects I started, worked hard on, and worked for weeks or months to make run, and never did, had their lesson to teach, and taking life like that means the next one has already had most of its problems resolved before the first piece of metal is turned.  You've got to make a lot of really shi**y arrow heads before you have learned to properly knap one that will fly straight on the front of an arrow, and pierce the hide, muscle, and heart of a deer, and is more than a child's attempt at a real arrow point.  Great beauty sometimes hides bad work, in your case, Steve, it just showcases the care and attention to detail you put into it, get that other engine up to this point so we can see what you choose for flywheels and stanchions, and all that, to go with that fine, victorian look you've already achieved. :bow: :jaw: :bugeye: mad jack