Author Topic: My first efforts at oil painting  (Read 9450 times)

Offline micktoon

My first efforts at oil painting
« on: January 04, 2013, 04:52:34 PM »
I had a go at oil painting a year or so ago and thought I might aswell post some photos, it might interest or inspire someone or not  :coffee: lol. I am no good at drawing so printed off images that had random interest to me then copied them onto gesso primed canvas by tracing over carbon paper, I then painted them with mainly traditional oil paints, two were done with water mixable oils which I did not like compared to the traditional linseed and turps type. I was not happy with any of them really and with too many other interests never got to practice any more, I will have another go at some point. I think they look worse to me now after a while not seeing them than they did straight after doing them, I did enjoy doing them though and found it quite relaxing. I do intend doing more and hope to eventually get one decent enough to hang on the wall  :drool:

I will list them in the order I painted them to see if I improved  :scratch:  My good friend Keith who I went to school and grew up with is an artist and gave me some pointers on what paints, brushes and general way to go about things. He has a blog with his paintings here http://keithproctor.blogspot.co.uk/, so thanks Keith. I also found Alan Kingwell's videos on Youtube very good too if anyone else is wanting to have a go, he really does have a tallent and like Keith is self taught.
     They are all A4 paper size about 12 inches by 8 inches  except the two golfers that are about 7 inches by 5 inches.

I liked the look of this old Blacksmith at work image that was black and white so tried this one first.

I thought I would go with the theme of people doing trades at work so  did this welder next.

I then found this random picture of a decaying car in the desert and made it my next topic.

The last old car seemed good to do, so this old pick up was next, when I look at it now the background grass behind the cab is shocking  :palm:

I liked the old car theme but wanted to try more colour so found this image, I tried to be more detailed in this one and took more time with it.

Next was another image from the net that I just liked, it was an old kodak colour slide from 1940's, this was quick and easy to do compared to the last car one, the track area is too crude and should have been more detailed.

Then for some unknown reason I chose this golfer , I hate golf and know nothing about it and find it rather  :coffee: so strange choice, I think it was to try to do a person and some skin tones.

I then liked the light and dark contrast of this Afgan helicopter picture and something different, sort of back to someone at work theme too.

I had two golfer pictures so decided to do the second one anyway, this one is better than the first I think , the shirt area anyway.

This one was a copy of another painting, I liked the light and shade, this was done in the water mixable oil paint, I did not like this paint and found it hard to work, with it dried too fast and would not blend well. I felt that the whole painting had to be done in one quick go as things got worse with this paint if you went back over an area.

This painting is also water mixable but I hardly thinned the paint and it was more like the traditional oils when un-thinned, I think this is painting is probably the best art wise out the bunch, the colours are a bit brighter in the flesh, I still would not give it wall space mind :lol:

Any comments welcome and dont be scared to slag them off either, would be interesting to know which ones people liked best topic wise and also which ones other people thought were the best painting wise too.

Cheers Mick.

Offline krv3000

Re: My first efforts at oil painting
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 05:03:32 PM »
well the golf ones we will forgive the rest are brill  thers nothing rong with the golf ones just i hate golf

Offline doubleboost

• Madmodder Committee
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 05:04:55 PM »
They look great to me
I like the last one best (must be welding galvie)
They are much better than most of this" modern "art crap
John

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 05:07:45 PM »
As Bob pointed out the golf ones are naff ,,,,, :lol: ,,,,,,,,,,,,,, the rest look the dogs bollocks Mick  :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Rob

Offline micktoon

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 05:22:37 PM »
  I thought I was the only one that hates golf (and cricket lol) , it could still just be a North East thing mind ?. Cheers for the thumbs up on the other ones lads  :thumbup: I wanted to do one of someone machining at the lathe with the work lamp lighting up the work  as the operator concentrates, good light and shade and some bright colours ( apart from that horrid grey you lads like so much on your lathes  :wave: ) ............. I could not find a picture on the whole of the internet of that ......... One of you boys might have to do some modelling  :lol: John , I would still like to see your dad's drawings too  :thumbup:

There is a really good painting done by war time artist Dame Laura Knight called   Ruby Loftus screwing a breech-ring (1942), google it lads, its of lady in wartime factory on her lathe , real good detail  :thumbup:

Cheers Mick

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 05:52:07 PM »
couple of paintings I like .

Nasmyth's steam hammer

and Iron and Coal ,William Bell Scott.

Rob

Offline micktoon

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2013, 06:15:16 PM »
You have good taste Mr Wilson  :thumbup:  Is 'Iron and Coal ' in Wallington hall in the hallway painted on the wall panel ? , here is a link to the Dame Laura Knight painting , I could not get the image into the post  :palm: :scratch: :(  http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/15504 Quality study of the lathe working and also the general factory setting, she did other really good war time paintings too.
  Cheers Mick.

edit 

« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 03:56:27 AM by RobWilson »

Offline Swarfing

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2013, 06:31:16 PM »
I thought I was the only one that hates golf (and cricket lol) , it could still just be a North East thing mind ?

It's southern too  :bang:

The pics are great  :beer:
Once in hole stop digging.

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2013, 07:08:11 PM »
They all look pretty good to me, Mick - even the golfers, because they actually look like people.  You obviously have a talent for it. Wish I could draw or paint, but have never improved on my efforts since I was at primary school, and the only praise for those came from my parents.

Andy
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline AussieJimG

• In Memoriam
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2013, 05:07:35 AM »
They all look pretty good but I particularly like the first two - I assume that you painted them. But I like them anyway.

Jim

Offline jb3cx

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2013, 03:24:51 PM »
Fantastic paintings Mick.for all the years I have known you ,you kept that stum,I can always find some wall space for the first 2 if you want to bring them over the next time you visit.

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
My first efforts at oil painting
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2013, 04:54:25 AM »
Mic, I've always said that if I could trade any of the half learnt skills that i have got, to be master of one, it would be art. All of them are bloody brilliant and you could hang any of them on the wall and be proud! Sadly, I struggle even drawing a stick man!

Chris

Offline micktoon

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2013, 12:09:39 PM »
 I am suprised at how many people have liked and commented on the paintings  :clap:, I hesitated before putting them on a post as thought no one would be interested. I more or less was not happy with my standard and lost interest as well as having other things to keep me busy but it seems people think I am not completely wasting my time which has encouraged me to have another go soon.
  Cheers for getting the Dame Laura Knight image up Rob  :thumbup:
  Swarfing , good to hear its not just the lads from up North that dont like cricket and golf...........  I would rather take my dog walking lol
  AndyF, you might be suprised if you had another try , I cant draw and have to duplicate from a picture somehow, I think half the battle is painting something you want to paint.
  AussiejimG , I am assuming you ment the first two painting in the post , the Blacksmith and the Welder as I did do them but can not take credit for the two Rob posted further down the post lol.
  jb3cx, it must just never have come up in conversation Peter  lol, Bet you didnt know I did stained glass either did you lol.
  raynerd, Chris thanks for the positive comments , I would just say have another go yourself, last time I had a go at drawing or painting was at school, there are loads of things on Youtube giving advice now.

I met Doubleboosts dad Ed yesterday and his pen and ink drawings are out of this world, a very interesting bloke and very tallented too , in more ways than just drawing he is a fantastic organ player too. I am going to see if John can post some photos of his drawings as they should really be seen
  Cheers Mick.

Offline efrench

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2013, 03:27:25 AM »
You usually need to ask permission from the photographer when making a painting from a photograph, especially if you're posting your work on the internet or selling it.  Most photographers will say yes and only ask that you give them credit for the image.

p.s. Keep painting, they look quite good :)