The Shop > Composites & Plastics

DIY Vacuum & Heat Chamber

<< < (2/3) > >>

Bluechip:
Ant

Thanks for the info, although the Vacinnovation site seems a bit sparse  :scratch:  . I will have to try my pump. I have a vacuum guage, but it's calibrated in Ins. Water rather than Mercury.

My compressor gives up to 110 PSI,  8 CFM FAD .. is at big enough ?

Dave BC

usn ret:
Ant, when I was in the Navy more  years ago than I care to reveal, we tested barometricly release mechanisms from aircraft ejection seats using a vacuum box. I recall we used a vacuum pump from a refrigeration service kit.  We  run it to a simulated altitude and do a release to complete the test. The box {6" x 6" x 18"} was aluminum welded together to form an open top container with a rubber seal on the upper lip. We then laid either a very thick piece of glass or plexiglass against the seal,  as the vacuum increased the seal became tighter.  There was also a manual valve to release the vacuum after the test.  Our indicater was an aircraft altimeter so I don't know how much vacuum we actually pulled.  I hope this helps with future designs. :smart:
Cliff :beer:

ant...:
Dave - 110psi is more than enough.  The vacinovations site is very sparce but their stocks are large and prices are low, thats why I always go there.

Cliff - That was the first idea i came up with but with a perspex box.  Finding the rubber seals always lets me down.

usn ret:
Ant,
Something to think about for a seal.  A release agent on the glass/plexiglass top .  Next a bead of silicon sealant on the top/mating edge of the box. Place the glass on the box until the sealant is cured, them maybe a good seal??  :smart:
Cliff  :beer:

ant...:
Cliff

Thats clever, i hadnt thought of that.  Silicone does need air to dry though, so it would need to be a thin layer, and I think i would use a good layer of grease as the release agent.

As it happens i used silicone on the rim of the pressure cooker but even after 12 hours of drying, when I put the lid on and did a test the silicone stuck to the rubber seal.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version