The Shop > Composites & Plastics

DIY Vacuum & Heat Chamber

<< < (3/3)

usn ret:
Ant,   Don't know if you caught it or not, there is an thread on vacuum pumps/etc at the bottom of composites and plastics. :beer:
Cliff

Google is your friend!!! I googled "vacuum chamber plans" , waaay too much info. Data overload. kind of makes my head want to explode!
C

chillybilly:
A fridge pump will provide a good vacum ,bit tricky to get hold of regards the gas issue ,but if you should suck using the larger pipe into the body the discharge will be the smaller ,if poss make this longer incase the compressor throws a bit of oil out ,try to avoid allowing the comprossor to lie on its side in relation to its mounting points as this can cause issues with oil .

Just incase that helps    :ddb:

ant...:
If you go to your local tip, waste dump, they have seperate fridge & freezer container normally.  I asked the guy in charge and he let me at them with my tools, its just 4 bolts and cut the tubes and wires with pliers.  Wish id got a portable generator to test them though.  But they are free and if its no good you can always take it back and try again.  :thumbup:

chillybilly:
yep local waste place is where you might find one .Some words of caution .

Make sure the gas has been removed from the sytem ,its not so much the possibility of physical injury more the massive legal implications that fridge gas now carries .

Be aware a fridge coompressor is considered hazardous waste due to the oil within  ,rather than the comp itself .Removing it from a waste dump could be percieved as theft by some people .

tips if you do get one ,
would be if you cut the comp out leave as much pipe as you can for you to fit onto .

If you get one from a recently degassed unit ,be aware that the refrigerant in the oil will behave like pop in a bottle if you shake /jolt the compressor ,thus spraynig all over your car on the way home and it stinks!!!

There may be an electrical thermal overload externally mounted on the body ,bi metalic switch job ,these are often the cause of failure to run issues.

As before leave a tallish stack on the discharge side .

Hope that helps ,just dont want anybody to find themselves in a knightmare with the law or the wife ,outside of this i have had much sucess with my fridge based compressors .

chillybilly:
Also NRV valves in the right way for the respective pipes will help revent any passing in the compressor if things are a little worn

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version