The Shop > Electronics & IC Programing

Video on board etching

(1/4) > >>

Brass_Machine:
I remember there being a discussion about PCB etching... here is a video I just got the link for...

John Rudd:
Thanks for posting..

Not bad...
 A couple of tips for those thinking of doing their own....

I use Ferric Chloride for etching my own boards, but I heat it first in a microwave oven, this and agitating the board results in a board being etched in a lot less time than the demonstrator states...

After the board has been etched and cleaned I use Tin Plating crystals to add a tin plate coating onto the track...aids soldering and protects the copper from tarnishing...

I find the hardest part is drilling the holes...My eyesight isnt as good as it was 20-30 yrs ago :(

Brass_Machine:

--- Quote from: John Rudd on March 10, 2010, 01:55:20 PM ---...
I use Ferric Chloride for etching my own boards, but I heat it first in a microwave oven, this and agitating the board results in a board being etched in a lot less time than the demonstrator states...

After the board has been etched and cleaned I use Tin Plating crystals to add a tin plate coating onto the track...aids soldering and protects the copper from tarnishing...

--- End quote ---

I do the same microwave/agitating bit. Goes much faster.

Tell me more about the tin plating??

Eric

John Rudd:
Eric,

Basically you take tin plating crystals dissolved in hot water ( 50deg C) place the board in the solution and the copper is coated with a layer of tin...Takes up to about three hours depending on the thickness of the plating you want...

Not sure if its available across the pond but I would have thought so from RS or Farnell..

Bernd:
Eric,

I did a google. Lots of places here in the US.

Wish I could remember what I used back when I did circuit boards. Maybe it'll come to me.

Bernd

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version