The Shop > Finishing

Polishing technique.... well it works!

<< < (10/11) > >>

djh82uk:
Thanks for the offer bogs, although Im afraid I live in South Wales.

Ralph I know what you mean regarding focus i start working on something and then think of something better to make :S

Mostly I want to have a go at IC engines tho.

Tooling wise, for the mill I have a mix of Carbide end mills, slot drills, ball end mills etc and for the lathe I have a mix of carbide tipped, brazed tct & HSS.

Tho have just ordered a load of HSS end mills to try out (they were cheap)

bogstandard:
Not to worry.

I found a place to get it from on ebay, but if you email me with your requirements, I will see what can be done.

John

djh82uk:
Well I don't actually have any plans, I was going to base it on the below engine:

http://www.stirlingengine.co.uk/ks90-blue-low-temperature-stirling-engine-1-p.asp

From which I guestimate it needs an ID of 70mm & a height of 17mm

Thanks

DJH

Divided he ad:

--- Quote ---Tooling wise, for the mill I have a mix of Carbide end mills, slot drills, ball end mills etc and for the lathe I have a mix of carbide tipped, brazed tct & HSS.

Tho have just ordered a load of HSS end mills to try out (they were cheap)
--- End quote ---

With that collection you should have no trouble with steel..... Take it easy and it'll all come together  :thumbup:

Good luck with the Stirling..... I still haven't found the bottle to have a go!!!  :)

Ralph.

kvom:
Today I decided to make a lathe arbor for a polishing mop and start to learn the technique.  The arbor is pretty simple.  Started with a 6" piece of 2" diameter 6061 rod.  Turned one end down to 1" diameter for 1.5" length.  On the other end I drilled and tapped for a length of 1/2-13 threaded rod.  The mops that I have have 1/2" holes, so I put one over the rod, add a 2" diameter washer and a nut from my mill camp kit, and it's ready to go.  I am using this with a collet chuck (for safety), hence the 1" diameter for mounting in a 5C collet.  With the mop about 5" from the collet nose and the nose itself several inches long, I have a pretty good space for keeping the hands clear and also for maneuvering larger parts.

I tried it a bit on some aluminum using the black compound, but I knew I needed to come back in the house and review both the video and the Caswell web page.  I'll be blinging on the beam engine parts first.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version