Author Topic: Unattended Shaper operation?  (Read 3268 times)

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
Unattended Shaper operation?
« on: March 02, 2010, 03:33:35 PM »
I often hear that shapers can be left "unattended" whilst you get on with something else.

My Atlas shaper has been fitted with auto stops so this is quite true. But what about other bigger types of shapers. Do they have some sort of auto stop device fitted as standard?

Q for John Stevenson, I understand you have an Elliot 18" shaper, would you happen to know what it weighs? And any other info is you have any as even "Tonys" wonderful site is a bit lacking on info with this.
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
Re: Unattended Shaper operation?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 04:22:06 PM »
Darren,
No longer have it, swapped it for a piece of clean floor.
Think it was about 3/4 of a ton
John Stevenson

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010, 04:37:02 PM »
Darren, why would anyone want to leave their shaper working unattended?  Watching the shaper work is one of the great pleasures in life! :med:

I often let my little one get on with the job while I do something else but never out of air shot.  Sometimes I sit something on the machine so that when it gets too far there is a clatter as the bit falls to the floor.

Limit switches would be nice but I have to figure out a safe system as there is no way I want my fingers in the works when it starts unexpectedly.
From the den of The Artful Bodger

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2010, 05:44:41 PM »
Hi John, yes I suppose a working shop can make better use of the space. I guess you didn't use it much then.

I rather fancy a bigger one, shaper that is  ::)

T'other John, if I have a bigger piece on mine when taking a finish cut it can take rather a while. Often I nip back into the house to make a cupper while it's going. Well you know how it goes, 'er indoors always manages to find the right moment to demand your undivided. Apart from such events it's can be good to do something else, like drill a hole or have a clean up or sumut.
At least with my Atlas I know all will be well as it shuts itself down completely when the bed has traveled so far.

Mine has a motor start contactor with two extra stops operated by the bed movement for both directions. So it turns completely off.

I'm sure larger shapers with much more power would have some safety set-up or a lot of damage could be done. I asked the same question on another forum and got some answers. Ranging from safety shear pin, clutch to modified feedscrews where the thread had been machined off at the travel limits so the nut runs off the screw.

But none of those shut the main motor or the ram down. I like my set-up better I think and although my shaper is single phase the same is just as easily done with 3ph machinery. The mill comes to mind here.
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)