The Shop > Metal Stuff

Things Mom never taught Ya!

(1/2) > >>

PTsideshow:
Welding on rims/wheels with the tire on. Now it is a long video 10 minutes as it explains what happens and answers some other questions that people have brought up.

A degradation process called pyrolysis that causes the tire to decompose and to generate heat. In the confined space of the tire it doesn't take much additional gas to over-pressurize the tire.

Would never have thought to do it, with the tire on the rim.  Also for those that don't watch the complete video. Removing the valve stem and air pressure doesn't matter, as it is strictly gas generated from the tire that generates the pressure so fast. That even with one side of the tire loose it has reseated it self and gone boom.

trevoratxtal:
That is some scary! :zap:
 I might be afraid to apply the brakes now in case they heat up.
Thanks for the info I will be real careful in future. :headbang:
Trev

crabsign69:
ok what about a 115 degree day and u just happen to smash that gas peddle and smoke those tires good witch i have never done  :headbang:
hot pavment  is hot and when u happen to lets say get those tire to spin and they start smoken then what. not enough heat or what.
come on lets here it from the tire spinners out there

Krown Kustoms:
I have been on the drag strip my fair share of times and have never seen it happen.
I did blow a tire one day moving about 40mph and the speedometer reading about 100mph but I think it was due to other issues than heat on the rim. I know I had to replace a fiberglass quarter pannel after that.
I would say a weld bead reaches a lot higher temps than spinning tires. Steel melts at about what oooooh 2500 degrees F.
-B-

Bernd:
This one's got me thinking.  :scratch:  :smart:

Bernd

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version