Author Topic: Getting those Rear Hubs off *&^&*(*  (Read 20676 times)

Offline wheeltapper

• Spixworth Norfolk
Re: Getting those Rear Hubs off *&^&*(*
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2010, 01:45:03 PM »
I remember getting this trouble on a ford granada years ago and getting rid of the ridge with a half round file. :jaw:

Roy
I used to be confused, now I just don't know.

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2010, 02:05:35 PM »
Sorry Darren, hope you do not mind the hijacking of your topic! :beer:

Carry on John, glad to have stirred you all up from your sleep ...  :coffee:

'bout time some healthy banter was going on around here  :)
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2010, 02:09:31 PM »
Anthony,

I always thought that brake fade was caused by the hydraulic fluid getting too hot. Something that effects disk brakes more than drum brakes due to the design  :coffee:

You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2010, 02:45:51 PM »
Anthony,

I always thought that brake fade was caused by the hydraulic fluid getting too hot. Something that effects disk brakes more than drum brakes due to the design  :coffee:

One of the consequences of the fluid getting hot is that any water dissolved in it might boil releasing steam and leading to the equivalent of air in the lines, yes, I think disk brakes would be more vulnerable in that respect!  Keep fresh brake fluid in the system!  The front disks on my ute look like that have been left in a forge overnight except where the pads contact them of course.
From the den of The Artful Bodger

Offline ieezitin

« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2010, 04:26:35 PM »
As per the issue of fading with the hydraulic fluid, John Hill nailed it.

I read an article a while ago in a magazine about the fastest on road production car in the world, it’s a spin off from the Volkswagen company, Buganity something not sure of the real name or spelling.

Anyways this designer was using all-round disc set up and the  rotors were made of a carbon fiber ceramic material, it weighed around 70% lighter than the normal breaks and the rotors had grooves and holes in them. Massive amounts of money in the set up.

The vehicle reaches a cruising top speed of around 250 miles an hour, it will come to a complete stop at that speed using these breaks at a distance of 400 ft and you can touch the rotors by hand straight away!.

So I have ordered a 4 cyl diesel VW-Bug with the same set up! ::)

All the best                            Vortsprung de technic.   Anthony.
If you cant fix it, get another hobby.

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2010, 05:26:18 PM »
I had no problems with overheated brake fluid on my Lea Francis, 'cos it had rod operated brakes. Those had their own special features. The brake pedal pulled on a rod leading to the front beam axle, then via a swinging link the pull was transmitted to each front wheel. When trying to brake hard at top speed, the cartspring front suspension twisted and allowed the beam axle to move backwards slightly, relative to the chassis. This slackened off the brakes, so the axle would move forward again, reapplying them. Meanwhile, the rod to the rear axle would be doing the same thing, only 180 degrees out of sync with the front. So pulling up from top speed (only about 100 mph) was best done slowly, to avoid shaking the fillings out of my teeth.

Andy
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2010, 06:02:37 PM »
Andy, my Riley had a marvelous braking system.

The foot brake acted on a master cylinder under the floor.  That cylinder was not fixed to the frame instead it was supported by rods that went to the rear axle brakes.  Pushing the brake pedal applied hydraulic pressure on the front and mechanical pressure on the rear.  You can imagine that such a system had a lot of free travel in the pedal.

The rear axle was on quarter eliptic springs (i.e. leaf springs) with a shakel at each end!  The only thing that stopped the axle moving back and forth in the car was a large rubber bush at the front end of the torgue tube.

Going over a bump at speed would bounce the rear axle back which pulled on the rods which applied the front brakes and when the rear wheels hit the ground again all brakes were locked on but they let go very quickly.  Fortunately the brakes were not effective enough to really cause a problem and the remedy was easy enough which was to allow even more slack in the linkages. Or replace the rubber bush I suppose!

I do so miss the days of my youth when such adventures were an everyday occurance! :coffee:
From the den of The Artful Bodger

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2010, 06:17:04 PM »

There's a two main things that can cause brake fade: Too much heat in the disc/pads = inability to take more heat = brake fade (typically, melting or glazing the pads while you're at it. And old/water contaminated brake fluid, which will rapidly boil, the steam in the lines is compressible = brake fade. Water contamination usually strikes long before the rest of your brake system hits max temperature.

Ordinary road driving is unlikely to cause brake fade; the exception may be old fluid on a long downhill. Race drivers have to deal with it all the time...

Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline jatt

• chookshed engineer
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2010, 04:58:09 AM »
Well John I definetely cant complain about a dodgy interior lite and door handle that doesnt always shut properly.  That's small time compared to your past and current issues.  I always wondered where they sent the Fords that John West rejected. ::)

Mines done 220,000 Km.  Had its fair share of hard work... towing a horse float in the past comes to mind.  Mines not a flashy one, just a 1 tonne version (tradesman they call it over here).  Heavy duty suspension in the back, feels a bit like driving a truck.  Fast and pretty it aint, but I wanted a workhorse that didnt drag its arse too much when loaded.
From an early age my father taught me to wear welding gloves . "Its not to protect your hands son, its to put out the fire when u set yourself alight".

Forget about the price of gold and oil, its the price of beer that matters.

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2010, 10:00:03 AM »
The vehicle reaches a cruising top speed of around 250 miles an hour, it will come to a complete stop at that speed using these breaks at a distance of 400 ft and you can touch the rotors by hand straight away!.

So I have ordered a 4 cyl diesel VW-Bug with the same set up! ::)

All the best                            Vortsprung de technic.   Anthony.

Anthony,

My wife has a 5 cyl gas VW-bug and she won't let me take it up to 100mph. Although I think it would top out at about 120, maybe.  :) Itchin' to give it a try though.

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2010, 10:23:42 AM »
I think this is the car from the VW stable (though they market it under the venerable Bugatti name) name  which Anthony was talking about:

It's a 10 minute extract from  BBC show for petrolheads.

I see Anthony and Bernd both favour diesels, and I don't think the Veyron comes in that flavour. Sorry to disappoint you, guys :lol:.

Andy
Sale, Cheshire

Offline ieezitin

« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2010, 11:47:27 AM »
Thank you Andy.

Yes that is the beast. I don’t have the gonads to go 100 mph let alone 1 and ½ times faster.

Ill stick to my diesels.

Bernd. don’t tell her, say your going to WaWa for a coffee and just slide up the turnpike. If you get pulled over just say your unemployed and having to claim social security maybe that will get you off the ticket.

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2010, 11:57:55 AM »
...... If you get pulled over just say your unemployed and having to claim social security maybe that will get you off the ticket.

At my age, I'd just tell the traffic cop I just wanted to get the journey over while I could still remember where it was I wanted to go.

Andy
Sale, Cheshire

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2010, 09:47:25 AM »
Bernd. don’t tell her, say your going to WaWa for a coffee and just slide up the turnpike. If you get pulled over just say your unemployed and having to claim social security maybe that will get you off the ticket.

I can always give the cops an excuse, "My gas pedal got stucK." I've had it up to 100. Handled guite well. :headbang:

Andy,

I like diesels in very thing but a passenger car.

Offline ieezitin

« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2010, 10:29:26 AM »
Bernd.

Ha ha.

I bet it was a nice ride. Great performance for a little car. well done.

I have not owned a VW in twenty years but wished I have. I got a Ford 150 4x4 in 1997 which to this day I still own, I love it and I have less than $3000 in repairs in all these years and that includes one clutch change. Great product and if I need a truck again I will without doubt buy a Ford.

But I am thinking ahead and we really need a small compact car and I am waiting to see what VW do. They really are a superb automobile manufacturer!. I wont be a crash-by-wire Toyota I can tell you that!…

Sorry Darren don’t mean to hy-jack your thread.   All the best    Anthony.

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2010, 05:31:18 PM »
Antony,

I too have a Ford truck, 2008. Bought used and love it.

Bernd