The Craftmans Shop > Backyard Ballistics

Current gun build

<< < (9/9)

Pelallito:
Alpha,
I plan on making a heat treat furnace and have been trying to track down soft firebrick in Miami, Fl without any luck so far. I will probably have to order it, the closest place I have found any is around Orlando.
I intend to make this one, but will stretch it out so it can handle 18" stuff. A little larger is always better, except around the waistline, that is. :D
http://www.britishblades.com/home/articles.php?action=show&showarticle=31
I am a pack rat, I have the, sometimes heated, discussions with my wife about what she calls, the junk in the shop! ::)
Don't stop those builds, I intend to learn all that I can.
Regards,
Fred

Alphawolf45:
 Fred
  I was going to cast refractory for heat treat furnace like I build my metals melting foundry furnace..But the lightweight firebrick is much better insulation...One thing I wonder is how hot will it get on backside of the firebrick..I wonder should an air gap be left between the brick and the metal case?..I note that exterior of my foundry gets extremely hot but my commercially produced heat treat furnace- uses the lightweight firebrick- exterior barely gets warm- but I dont know how it was built inside where I cant see it..
One noteable advantage to using the firebrick salvaged from old pottery kilns--- I am able to use the bricks that have the heater element raceways cast in place.. I dont have to saw and chipaway or router the cutouts for a place to install the elements.........The furnace I will build is outside dimensions , 20 inch by 20 inch by 20 inch, plus a little box hanging on the side for control and relays.Inside will be 12 inch wide and 10 high and 16 inch depth..Probably will take substantially longer to come up to temp than my smaller furnace..Whatdyouthink?
I have the good furnace but its too small for some work I want to do and its too nice to risk damaging it with some other types work like melting wax out of lost wax investment casting molds...........So the new furnace will get its share of work, but most of the time I will still use thuther furnace..Uhhhmmmmm....Yeah man, one furnace can heat metal to brittle quenching temps and second furnace can be sitting ready at correct temps to pop the fresh quenched part in it for tempering...This can work :D ...I cant think of any downside to having multiples of everything.

Pelallito:
Alpha,
I agree wholeheartedly with this-...I cant think of any downside to having multiples of everything.
First I will make one , then maybe another. I liked your idea of having the pair.
I think that it might take a little more time to get up to temperature from what I read. Everything depends on how good a seal you have on the door. That is probably the area of greatest loss.
Regards,
Fred

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version