The Craftmans Shop > Backyard Ballistics

Current gun build

<< < (8/9) > >>

sbwhart:
Hi

Thanks for posting this thread will watch it with interest keep it up.

Cheers
 :wave:
Stew

Bernd:
Now by single action you mean that you will need to pull the hammer back with thumb to be able to fire it, versus pulling the trigger that would then pull back the hammer and fire it?

Also will this have a barrel to hold 6 bullets?. I've alway been interested in how they make all those parts and how they function.

Perhaps one of these days when I don't have so many projects to do I may start on building one of the gatlin guns I have plans for.

Thanks for the pics and keep us in the loop as you make this fine firearm.

Bernd

Alphawolf45:
Bernd
 Yes single action means hammer must be pulled back to cock the gun.This is near miss copy of the 1853 Colt single action army design..Later  revolvers developed that could be fired either single action or double action -simply pull the trigger through a long stroke will cock and fire the gun..........Also this gun can be called a 6 shooter..It will have a rotating cylinder having 6 chambers where 6 cartridges can be loaded....But it was only safe in everyday carry to load 5 rounds with hammer down on the empty 6th chamber.......
I can tell you that a double action revolver is an order of difficulty well above this single action revolver..I have had monumental trouble repairing double action revolvers , to say nothing of building one..
 Gatlin guns are very challenging builds from what I have read..I would like to read the full account of some fellow build his first one...

Pelallito:
Bernd,
I don't know which plans you have, but I read not long ago, that the plans out there have problems. I will try to track down the information and post it. I too would love to read of someones account of a successful Gatlin build.
Alpha,
I have been following your revolver build on another forum. It looks great to me! I need to get a mill for my shop, and of course other machine tools. You never have enough!
Regards,
Fred

Alphawolf45:

--- Quote from: Pelallito on February 01, 2009, 05:15:51 PM ---Bernd,
I don't know which plans you have, but I read not long ago, that the plans out there have problems. I will try to track down the information and post it. I too would love to read of someones account of a successful Gatlin build.
Alpha,
I have been following your revolver build on another forum. It looks great to me! I need to get a mill for my shop, and of course other machine tools. You never have enough!
Regards,
Fred

--- End quote ---
 Yeah Hey Fred I knew your name from thuther group. Good to see you again...Yes indeed you never have enough machines..I have couple extra lathes and mills I seldom use but want to keep'em and would buy more if I stumble over something cheap and close to the house it can come home with me.....Give it a little while and you can fill up any size shop building......Hey but no kidding, this stuff is fun..Imagine this , I can build just anything without need to buy any tools and most projects I can build using junk I've accumulated..Being a packrat has its advantages ....Like the new heat treat furnace I will start building this week- I using firebrick salvaged from a couple junk pottery kilns I have had a while and the metal shell is 3/16ths plate steel salvaged from end of large 10 foot dia steel gas tank..rusty but will cleanup well enough to paint....add a digital temps controller, couple heater elements and solid state relays and almost got it built for 'bout a 150 dollars..And that for a unit comparable to a commercial unit costing 4 thousand dollars.....I got a lot of stuff, been at it a long time but I didnt pay a whole lot for any of it..The hobby adds to itself..Sweat equity, build your own or fix something as required..Fabulous hobby...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version