Author Topic: My DRO-350 Install on an X2  (Read 9402 times)

Offline Space Fan

My DRO-350 Install on an X2
« on: February 07, 2010, 05:59:53 PM »
Well thanks to craynerd's fine work I was forced to finish the mod on my own mill.

Heres a pic of the Y axis.  If I ever had the proper scale I can't find it so I used a caliper.

Works like a charm.

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
Re: My DRO-350 Install on an X2
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 06:08:28 PM »
Nice job! Looks like a great setup! Are you going to cover them so they don`t get full of swarf and oil? Any chance of a few close up pics of your Shumatech holder/arm support? Something I haven`t finished yet.

Chris

Offline Space Fan

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 06:19:38 PM »
Hey Chris,

Thanks.  I'll post pics next time I unbag the machines.  The system is Very basic.  I don't like things moving arround much so I made it non adjustable.

The display is mounted directly on a 1" aluminum square tube and that in turn is bolted to the underside of a 6" x 4" plate. The plate is secured to the bottom of the control box with two bolts.  All 6 bolts are 1/4-20.

I'll try to find some thin polycarbonate to cover the X & Y scale heads. I soldered the four pin connector wires to the heads and then jammed the opening with some black RTV. 

My next mod is going to be a dedicated and remote vac to suck the chips away as they are made. I'm tired of holding the shop vac hose.

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2010, 08:35:50 AM »
Hey Space Fan,

Are those cables that plug into the reading head of the calibers? Are those cables supplied with the readout box. If it was explained in a thread some where else how this works I must have missed it.

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2010, 10:20:32 AM »
Bernd, you can buy cables that fit in but they look soldered and then glued/sealed in in the photo. I get a much better connection with my one that is soldered than my two with dedicated cables but clearly they don`t ruin the scale if they need removing.

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2010, 03:04:04 PM »
I remember reading somewhere that plugs were available for thos calibars and you could plug them into some kind of read out.

Bernd

Offline Space Fan

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2010, 09:31:43 AM »
Hey Space Fan,

Are those cables that plug into the reading head of the calibers? Are those cables supplied with the readout box. If it was explained in a thread some where else how this works I must have missed it.

Bernd
Bernd,
The cables were sources on ebay for about $1.50 each with free shipping.  They are four pin each end. I cut them at three feet and soldered the wires directly to the scale heads' circuit board.  The pin designation to the board is on shumatech.com.
Barry

Offline Space Fan

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2010, 09:34:03 AM »
Nice job! Looks like a great setup! Are you going to cover them so they don`t get full of swarf and oil? Any chance of a few close up pics of your Shumatech holder/arm support? Something I haven`t finished yet.

Chris
Chris,
Here is what I came up with.
Barry

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2010, 09:50:50 AM »
Hey Space Fan,

Bernd
Bernd,
The cables were sources on ebay for about $1.50 each with free shipping.  They are four pin each end. I cut them at three feet and soldered the wires directly to the scale heads' circuit board.  The pin designation to the board is on shumatech.com.
Barry

Ok, thanks. One more question? Are you using the batteries in the calibers to power them?

Bernd

tumutbound

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2010, 10:48:53 AM »
Ok, thanks. One more question? Are you using the batteries in the calibers to power them?

Bernd

The DRO-350 provides power to the scales so the batteries are not necessary.
It's common to replace them with capacitors to help reduce noise being introduced to the signal.

Offline Space Fan

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2010, 07:15:00 PM »
I'm getting a 'jitter' in the scale readings so I'll have to add the capacitors. The jitteris .001 randomly, less tha an issue but why not make it right.
Barry

Offline No1_sonuk

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2010, 07:34:28 PM »

Offline Space Fan

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2010, 04:24:38 PM »
I did the grounding mod and the scales are all still now.  Now if I could get an alternate overlay it would be finished.
Barry