Author Topic: MEW Subscription  (Read 5720 times)

Offline DavyC2

MEW Subscription
« on: February 20, 2010, 10:33:08 AM »
Hello Everyone,

Could someone be so kind as to point me in the right direction to acquire a subscription to Model Engineers Magazine. I can't find it here in the US and would love to have a subscription. Thanks in advance for any help.

David C

Offline Bluechip

• Madmodder Committee
  • Derbyshire UK
Re: MEW Subscription
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 11:09:07 AM »
David  

ME or MEW in  N/America

www.expressmag.co

001 877 363 1310 according to my #161 MEW

There are/have been issues re: non delivery BTW.

http://www.model-engineer.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=35728

I must admit I only subscribe to MEW, and have had NO problems here in UK

Make of the forum link what you may

May I ask what you expect re: content of ME, if that's the one, rather than MEW?
IMO it deals principally with model locomotives, not much else. ... which is why I no longer have ME.

Dave BC
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 11:23:48 AM by Bluechip »
I have a few modest talents. Knowing what I'm doing isn't one of them.

Offline DavyC2

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010, 04:27:41 PM »
Hi David BC,
Thanks for the response and the links. I was looking to subscribe to the English publication "Model Engineers Workshop" and was wondering where to subscribe in the United states if there is a place? Or do I subscribe to the publication in England and hope I get delivery service in the USA. I have read online several articles from this publication and they were wonderfully written and displayed.  Just one that I thought I would like to have. Anyone in the USA have experience with this publication as far as getting it delivered. How long does it take, etc.? As far as content, anything to do with machines and machining, building mechanical projects, equipment repair and upgrading, etc.

David C
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 04:34:31 PM by DavyC2 »

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2010, 04:35:56 PM »
Hi David C:

This is culled from their website (I don't know what the offer is, though) :

For all Canadian, North and South American subscriptions please call:

English: 001 877 363 1310
French: 001 800 363 1310
Email: expsmag@expressmag.com

HURRY! Offer ends 19th March 2010

Andy
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline Bluechip

• Madmodder Committee
  • Derbyshire UK
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2010, 04:58:43 PM »
Hi David BC,
Thanks for the response and the links. I was looking to subscribe to the English publication "Model Engineers Workshop" and was wondering where to subscribe in the United states if there is a place? Or do I subscribe to the publication in England and hope I get delivery service in the USA. I have read online several articles from this publication and they were wonderfully written and displayed.  Just one that I thought I would like to have. Anyone in the USA have experience with this publication as far as getting it delivered. How long does it take, etc.? As far as content, anything to do with machines and machining, building mechanical projects, equipment repair and upgrading, etc.

David C

David C

I doubt if the UK operation would accept a sub. .... The US Co. probably has some exclusive rights to the US distribution.

As my post and the one from Andyf implies.

Dave BC
I have a few modest talents. Knowing what I'm doing isn't one of them.

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2010, 03:55:53 PM »
When ordering through a subscribtion company in the US becareful. Reason, some will take your money and you won't get your subscribtion. This was happening with several of my railorad magazines. Of course I never used a subscribtion service. Always sent the money to the publisher.

Remember the old saying "Buyer Beware"

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline DavyC2

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2010, 08:52:59 PM »
Thanks Guys for your replies, I have made my subscription and should be receiving MEW in a few weeks.

Thanks again for the information gentlemen.

David C

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2010, 03:25:23 AM »
David,

I'm only mentioning this to save you from  possible :bang:
These are quotes from last October's issue of MEW:

"UK subscribers can find their subscriber number on the grey envelope that their magazine arrived in. I will pause for a moment while you all rush out to the rubbish bin..... now I bet you wish you had not destroyed the envelope"
That's true in my case. I had to wait another month  :bang:

"UK subscriber numbers are in the format 00********R MEW156. Just enter the 8 digit code where the *s are. Ignore the first two 00s and everything after the last *."
It goes on to say that (in the UK at least) only direct subscriptions to Magicalia or MyHobbyStore or whatever it's calling itself this week will suffice. An order placed with your local magazine vendor won't count.

I'm not sure what the arrangements will be for subscribers outside the UK, but no doubt there will be similar hoops to jump through.

As has already been said, a subscription to the paper copy only gets you access to digital archive of magazines for for the last 3 years or so. To go back earlier (to Issue 1 of MEW; I'm not sure about Model Engineer) you have to fork out more money - I think it's £29, and that this only buys access during the forthcoming year. after that, you have to pay again.

Andy
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline DavyC2

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2010, 11:18:00 AM »
Andy,

Thanks you so much for the insight and time you took to reply to my question. You've given me a lot to think about now that I've subscribed well see what happens.

Thank You again for your reply

David C .