Author Topic: EasyPIC-6 Development Board  (Read 10961 times)

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
EasyPIC-6 Development Board
« on: January 28, 2010, 07:31:28 PM »
Hi Guys

I don`t know if this is of any interest to any of you but I got my EasyPIC 6 dev board a few days ago and I`m thrilled with it. It really is a super slick bit of kit! Ease of use is just immense! I had it running and programming within about 5 minutes of plugging it in and installing MikroC.

Here is my vid of a few clips of me playing around with the board and its functions:

I`m not going to do a huge review as there are already a few out there by people much more knowledgeable than me but I`m just going to mention some of the bits that I like ...

This board has an inbuilt COG LCD display so a display is always on hand:

It of course has the LCD port as well so you can have a second display (or more likely use the COG for debugging). Mikro only sell a 2 x 20 char display but I purchased a couple of 4x20 LCDs of ebay for about £5 and my mate soldered a standard IDE socket on the back - it plugs into the board just fine. You can see it in use in the video along with the COG.

It also has an expansion port, which obviously expands the number of available ports. As of yet I`ve never filled the available pins on a 40 pin PIC so have no use for it yet but it does the job. The COG is actually attached to this so you have to enable the expansion port to get the COG to work.

Also, the easyPic6 has the new matrix keypad which is a really smart extra! Along with the direction and button pad below. I am sure this will come in very useful and saves having to buy the add-on matrix pad.

It also has some "cool" improvements over the earlier models such as an ice blue "program" LED - which of course makes programming go much more smoothly   :lol:

I have just purchased the G-LCD with touch screen adaptor but as of yet I`ve not even plugged it in. I`ve heard very good things about it.

I have seen the Arduino development boards a few weeks ago and had the opportunity to play around with one for a couple of hours and for both ease of use and actual board content, the Mikroelectronica stuff blew it away in comparison - IMO!

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
Re: EasyPIC-6 Development Board
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 07:36:40 PM »
For me, clicking on the video link brings up "This video contains content from WMG, who have decided to block it in your country".

:scratch: :scratch: :scratch:

Andy

EDIT: PS Google reveals that WMG stands, among other things, for Warner Music Group, and shows they have a copyright department. It seems that "walls have ears"!
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 07:40:23 PM by andyf »
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

tumutbound

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 08:52:34 PM »
For me, clicking on the video link brings up "This video contains content from WMG, who have decided to block it in your country".

I get the same problem, be interesting to know just what countries it is playable in.

I got a PIC development board last year from   Tech Toys in Hong Kong. Easy to use, lots of features and cheap.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 12:00:07 AM by tumutbound »

Offline Andrew_D

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2010, 09:07:39 PM »

Can't view it in Canada...

Andrew

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2010, 10:12:40 PM »
Same here in the USA.

Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2010, 11:44:16 PM »
craynerd

Just out of curiosity what did you include in the video that might have touched off the copy write censors? Since your in the UK and Andy is also in the UK can anyone else in the UK play it? Did you include music in the background? We may as well try to figure out what the limit is on stuff like this as it will only get worse. I think that WMG probably want a cut of the profits and if they can't get them they will just $crew up the works.
 :lol: :lol:
Other than that, it sounds very interesting and I'll be watching for more.  :doh:

Cheers  :beer:

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2010, 03:40:13 AM »
Me niether.......  ::)

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2010, 03:45:02 AM »
I clicked it and got the same message but under the message there was a tiny video window, i clicked that and it opened up and ran.
That was my new laptop with W7

Just tried it on this machine XP and i don't get the video window so i clicked on the black screen under the message and it opened ?

John s.
John Stevenson

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2010, 04:03:50 AM »
The mini window on the right works for me!  :thumbup:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2010, 04:18:04 AM »
 :lol:  I hope I don`t get sued - it must be the background music as the rest of it is my own video, the music is not even very good just something to cover up "UK Crime Watch" - which was on the TV in the background!! It is the band dragonforce!

Interestingly I can actually watch the video and I`m on another computer and not logged in so that is wierd. I do however, get an itunes advert at the bottom with a link to buying the music track DragonForce - Fire and Flames on iTunes! Now they have included that add, can you still not see it?

Anyway, balls to them. I`ll remove the video and replace the soundtrack later.

Chris

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2010, 04:33:21 AM »
Just for interests sake:

Dear craynerd,
Your video, EasyPIC6 review.wmv, may have content that is owned or licensed by WMG.
No action is required on your part; however, if you are interested in learning how this affects your video, please visit the Content ID Matches section of your account for more information.
Sincerely,
- The YouTube Team

--- In: Content ID Matches
As a result, your video has been blocked everywhere except in these locations:
Japan

!!!!

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2010, 04:48:48 AM »
I wonder if the same thing has happened with other videos with music which have been embedded in Madmodder threads.

Andy
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2010, 11:35:07 AM »
Nice to know "BIG BROTHER" is watching over us.  :(
Route of the Black Diamonds