Author Topic: a nine cylinder radial engine, plans by "ageless engines"  (Read 101348 times)

Offline madjackghengis

• big engine
Re: a nine cylinder radial engine, plans by "ageless engines"
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2010, 11:30:45 AM »
Hi Crankshafter,
   For those who see this as "global warming", know that for every tree I burn, I raise about a hundred, which sequester carbon into the wood and ultimately into the ground.  Since the global warming "experts" are as common liars and thieves as anyone else has ever been, and since the global temeratures have been dropping continuously for ten years, you can't believe a word they say, even if they are only introducing themselves.  Remember half of all of them were warning of the coming Ice age thirty years ago.  I also sell carbon credits to anyone foolish enough to buy them from me.  By the way, does anyone want to explain how to make use of all the nifty icons that are available right above this space?
mad jack

Offline crankshafter

« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2010, 11:39:25 AM »
Hi Crankshafter,
   For those who see this as "global warming", know that for every tree I burn, I raise about a hundred, which sequester carbon into the wood and ultimately into the ground.  Since the global warming "experts" are as common liars and thieves as anyone else has ever been, and since the global temeratures have been dropping continuously for ten years, you can't believe a word they say, even if they are only introducing themselves.  Remember half of all of them were warning of the coming Ice age thirty years ago.  I also sell carbon credits to anyone foolish enough to buy them from me.  By the way, does anyone want to explain how to make use of all the nifty icons that are available right above this space?
mad jack
madjack
one word: Amen.

Just click on a icon and it will show up where you have placed the marker like this :beer:
crankshafter

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2010, 11:47:36 AM »
madjack

Well put, they give the word "Expert" a new meaning ...... :wave:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2010, 10:32:47 PM »
Stew,

You know what the definition of an "expert" is right?

EX = has beeb

XPERT = drip under pressure

So an EXPERT was a drip under pressure. :lol:

Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2010, 01:22:11 AM »
Great work Madjack that crank case looks real good  :thumbup: :thumbup:

Stew,

You know what the definition of an "expert" is right?
EX = has beeb
XPERT = drip under pressure
So an EXPERT was a drip under pressure. :lol:

I think you got your Radials builders mixed up Bernd.  :doh:

Obviously your not a radial xpert  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Have fun

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2010, 09:15:25 AM »
Obviously your not a radial xpert  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Have fun

Stew

Ya, your right I'm sort of a square guy. Square head to by the way.  :lol:   :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb:

Bernd

Offline madjackghengis

• big engine
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2010, 10:31:41 AM »
 :beer:  I have to say thanks for all the kind words regarding my engine, my thoughts on experts, and the cameraderie that I have found on this forum, it has been far more than I anticipated, and it makes this forum a great thing.  I had to take my big red dog to the vet yesterday to have a lump excised from his chest, so I didn't get much done except cutting off eleven cylinder blanks and facing off both ends of about half of them.  Gandalf, my best friend, is doing fine, a fatty lump and no sign of anything bad, but he is now aquiring scars with stitch marks, so maybe he'll be up for a tattoo soon.  Today should yield some cylinders ready for honing and lapping if all goes well.  After that I think I will be tackling the crankshaft and the master rod.  Pictures are forthcoming.
Thanks again,
mad jack  :mmr:

Offline madjackghengis

• big engine
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2010, 12:19:26 PM »
 :clap:  With my dog happy minus the lump on his chest, and laying content on his bed in the shop, I've cut eleven cylinder blanks out of one and three quarters diameter 12L14, free cutting leaded cold rolled mild steel, and will start turning them into cylinders today, and seeing how long it takes to accomplish this on eleven of the buggers.

Shown is the front main bearing for the crank, with a circular shoulder for the cam to ride on when it is in place, and a bearing hole near the bottom for the inner end of the jackshaft driving the cam.

A picture of the crankcase with cylinder studs installed, front bearing installed but not visible, and the front cover and bearing retainer in place, just to see how it looks at this stage.

A picture of the drawing of the finished cylinder.

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2010, 12:56:52 PM »
Just noticed this build thread! 2 of my favorite things in on place... a radial and a v-twin. Nice work!

Now lets see a thread on the bike... looks like you are building your frame?

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline madjackghengis

• big engine
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2010, 09:31:07 AM »
Hi Eric, and all following this,
   There will be a thread specifically on the v twin engine build, as well as on the frame and eventually bike build, if that is considered of interest by those others posting.  My whole life was changed the first time I ever heard a radial engine, and this build is about finally, after almost fifty years, working to own one to hear any time I want, and of course to power something, an engine is really no good if it doesn't make something move, is it?  Even if it is just the heart.
    The first cylinder blank went right into the scrap bucket, just a niggling little detail, that last cut which wiped out a hundred thousandths of the cylinder flange diameter, making it too small for all the studs.  The second with all its fins cut, rough 15/16ths hole drilled, ready to turn around in the chuck and get the base and spigot machined, and lapping to the full diameter of 1.000, when all eleven are ready for the lap.

The first one always provides insight into how to establish a routine that will efficiently finish the other ten, and they should be done a a few days and I can start on heads.  I've got to grind two very thin cut off tools for the fins of the heads, I just can't get myself to make all the tools before working on parts of an engine, it might be right, it might be faster, but I just have to see parts come to life.  Hopefully I've got enough odds and ends in my aluminum scrap to account for eleven head blanks of sufficient size.  I'm looking forward to getting to work on them.
Mad Jack  :headbang:

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2010, 10:11:04 AM »
Lookin' real nice on that radial Mad jack.

I'm in for the V-twin and bike build. Never know what you might be able to pick up from somebody elses build.

Bernd

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2010, 10:17:33 AM »
I'm with bernd ... nice going there btw  :thumbup:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
  • Machinist Extraordinaire
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2010, 12:14:09 PM »
Looking great!!! I'd like to see the V twin and bike :nrocks:
Wesley P
A Gismo ??? If it has a flywheel or spins and is made with small parts. I'll take one! If it makes noise, moves, or requires frequent oiling and dusting it's a better deal yet. It's especially right if its shiny and bright; but if it's dirty and dull it wont mater at all...

Offline madjackghengis

• big engine
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2010, 10:34:59 AM »
Well guys,
   As my mother always told me, the road to hell is paved with good intents, so I ran the threading tool into the top fin, ruining the second blank, and went ahead and cut off two more blanks.  I took the first one ruined, put it back in the chuck, and bored it, just to check the bore, and found I was boring two thousandths taper in two inches, not good.  Next step, tear down the head stock of the lathe and figure out why.

The problem couldn't be all the swarf accumulated over the past twenty years between the head stock and the bed, could it?  Cleaned out everything, took the opportunity to level the lathe, as it hadn't been done since installation ten years ago, found it was way out, both laterally, and logitudinally, not to mention twisted.

I bored out the scrapped cylinder and found slightly less than a thousandths taper and I can work wth that.  I now have one half completed cylinder, and a second one in the lathe, waiting my ministrations today.  I took the expanding mandrel of my plywood blade two hundred tooth lathe dividing setup, put a stock five inch hand wheel with crank, and cut the threads by hand power, stopping before running into the top fin of the cylinder.  The method is established, just got to do the work now.  The .032 slot forming the fins, .125 deep wants to bite in any time it can, and even with the tail stock and center as close as possible, will pull the cylinder out of true with no warning, hand fed or under power.

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2010, 04:39:30 PM »
Well MadJack ............ this is a thoroughly entertaining thread, I'm hooked as I'm sure are loads of others.  ......... and your photo skills have come along nicely too  :smart:

I must admit after seeing the first photo my initial thought was ............ dam, you don't wanna break a tap in the last hole ........   :bugeye: .............. now I see you can take that minor hiccup easily in your stride I can breathe a little easier  :coffee:

Looking forward to the updates, thanks for taking the time to document it all ............ and ........... great work  :thumbup:

CC

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2010, 08:40:54 PM »
Jack,

I have to say I'm in awe  :bugeye: that one would tear down the lathe in the middle of a build. Simply amasing.

As CC said nice work on the pictures. You got that down pat. Now all we have to do is get your avatar to work.

Keep up the great work.  :thumbup:

Bernd

Offline madjackghengis

• big engine
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2010, 11:20:16 AM »
Jack,

I have to say I'm in awe  :bugeye: that one would tear down the lathe in the middle of a build. Simply amasing.

As CC said nice work on the pictures. You got that down pat. Now all we have to do is get your avatar to work.

Keep up the great work.  :thumbup:

Bernd
I've got to say thanks to Bernd, both for the complement and the aid in getting my photos working.  As to tearing down a lathe in the middle of a project, it has been something I've been forced to do many times over the past decades, and has become common place, since all my machinery has been almost exclusively bought used, rebuilt, and often put together with less than perfect standards, but with parts at hand, or being made at the time in place.

Now I have to get my "avatar" up, just to get that damned red x off the page! :hammer:

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2010, 11:22:40 AM »
Madjack,

Check your PM. I was writing that up before you posted.  :) Talk about ESP.  :med:

Bernd

Offline madjackghengis

• big engine
« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2010, 01:15:25 PM »
Well Bernd,
   I think I got my avatar up, if what I've got up isn't what you were talking about, then I'll need more information.  I should be putting up some fresh photos of the build tonight, hopefully I can make some serious progress, and get to more interesting parts.  Thanks much for the aid in getting pictures up and moving forward.  Got to get to work.
Mad Jack :whip:

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2010, 03:01:24 PM »
Mad Jack,

Your avatar looks good. Nice picture by the way. Makes me feel good I was able to explain good enough for you to make it work.

Looking forward to more pics from your project.

Bernd

Offline madjackghengis

• big engine
« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2010, 09:23:14 AM »
For all those voicing support, thanks much, Bernd, couldn't get that avatar up without your help, and more pictures are on the way.  I just got hit with a bad virus, I think it was disguised as an upgrade for sun/java, as that was the only thing I up-loaded when I got hit.  I was loading pictures onto photobucket, got stopped with a popup demanding I download a new version of something java/sun, closed all my windows, pulled up something that looked just like the popup, from my desk top, ignored it, couldn't load pictures and went back.  I went to down load the demanding version, got told I had to remove the old one first, un-installed it, the new version installed right away (that's about twenty minutes if you're on a land line) got four pics up loaded to photobucket, and then the virus took over my computer.  This is the second time in a week I was hit in the same way with what looks like the same virus, as it did all the same things.  I got hit with what I think is the same one about three months ago, so I'm thinking I pissed someone off.  The computer shop says they'll call me when its fixed, but I wanted to at least give everyone a head's up.  I think it's personal, I write a lot of political essays which are rather conservative and not popular with the "progressive crowd", and I'm pretty sure this forum will have good protection against anything coming through it, but when a virus hits, a person should give warning.  On another note, we're having the coldest winter since I moved to my new house by the creek, maybe this summer the mosquitoes will be vastly fewer due to the first two week continuous freeze in nine years!!!  Had to weld up the seal collar of a dump truck wheel which lost all its bearings about a hundred miles before the wheel was noticed, nice weather for heavy welding and grinding.  Had to put the hub in my three jaw with an inside grip to grind out the weld to the point of being able to machine the spigot open again for the seal to press in, the sheet over the whole lathe did not keep all the grinding swarf out, so the whole carriage assembly had to come off and get washed out.    You're not supposed to mig weld cast iron, but since most wheel hubs are "semi-steel" which is cast iron with about thirty percent scrap added, I did it any way, leaving lots of metal to remove.  I was going to use my die grinder in the tool post, but a thousandth was a heavy cut, and wasn't going well.  I ended up using a four inch angle grinder with a worn out wheel, spinning my lathe at about six hundred, rpm, holding the grinder inside the spigot and trying to get it ground even by feel.  Wth about forty or fifty thousanths left, I ground a carbide tipped boring bar (a real short one) with a fresh, sharp no radius edge, and got the spigot five thousandths undersized for a good press fit and done.  I should be done with cylinders soon, although I was way to optimistic on how fast cutting lots of fins would go, and doing up a couple extra is both necessary and time consuming.  I'll be posting pictures of where I've got as soon as my computer comes home.  Can't trust the wife's computer, it doesn't even like me using it. :bang:

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2010, 09:54:55 AM »
Madjack,

When I see popups like that I totally ignore them. If everything is working fine I leave it alone. I feel that if somebody (software included) wants me to use a product by pushing it on me a red flag goes up. You can always go back to to the site and download it later if the site is legitimate.

Hope your shop was at least warm to do that job in? Doesn't sound like a fun job.

Take your time on that radial engine. I'm sure cutting those thin fins can give you a bit of pucker power. :)

Your pics are coming out fine. I like helping out. Just glad it was an easy job to get your pcis up and showing.

Bernd

P.S. I have another name for the "progressive crowd", but this is a family fourm you know.  :thumbup:  :)

Offline tinkerer

« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2010, 10:36:29 AM »
Sorry about the virus. As for cold killing the bugs, if it was true, then Minnesota would not have mosquitos as big as birds. :lol: Looking forward to the pictures. Since this isn't a political forum, I won't express my views, which are neither conservative nor progressive.  :scratch:
Tink

The desire accomplished is sweet to the soul.
Prov 13:19

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2010, 12:49:20 PM »
Sorry to hear about the virus, we had one about a month ago that infected the virus software demanding you buy this new version before anything would work. Managed to disable it in safe mode and go to a system restore point in the past which worked. Then quickly updated virus software and touch wood it hasn't reappeared.

Hope you get it sorted quick.

Nick

Offline madjackghengis

• big engine
« Reply #49 on: March 06, 2010, 10:08:52 AM »
Hi all, Having taken in a job of repairing a dump truck wheel which rolled for some miles without bearings in it, and having to forge the seal lip back into place, weld up the eight or so cracks formed, and fill in the area worn away, which the seal fits in, to hold the oil in, I had to use a four inch grinder to grind out most of the weld, while spinning the hub in my lathe, which filled every crack and crevice with grinding dust, even though I covered everything with a sheet.  The final cuts were made with a carbide tipped boring bar, and the seal, the bearing, and all, fit well in the hub, and it works, but I had to tear apart my lathe to get all the grinding dust out of it, so it got essentially a complete tear down.

Back at making cylinders, finally.  mad jack