Gallery, Projects and General > Project Logs

a nine cylinder radial engine, plans by "ageless engines"

<< < (29/29)

madjackghengis:
Hi all, I know how frustrating when a thread goes quiet, but rest assured it will be moving again shortly.  I have my cylinders being "pin honed", at an automotive machine shop, at two bucks a hole for eleven cylinders, and being able to achieve a finish I can only envy, I chose to use them, rather than work with my own taper and oval holes, so I'm waiting for their return.  I just got the cutter I needed to cut the cam lobes on the cam without having to flip it over to machine the second cam, and have to re-align zero, and work the rotary table and the y axis backwards, for having flipped the cam.  The cutter is a regular woodruff key cutter, which allows me to cut both cams, even though there is only about fifty thousandths of separation between the two, and I'm to use one degree angle changes while moving the y axis to generate the actual cam lobes.  I kept an extra piece of the pre-heat treated 4140 I'm using for the cam blank so I can make the good cam after I screw up the first one.
     With regard to the motorcycle frame, as soon as I get back to that project, which is right after I finish with the engine swap in my lawn mower, and intermingled with the radial engine, I will separate it, and put it in its own log.  I also have a frame I'm building for myself which is far more interesting, because you can do more interesting things when you have no concerns about liability.
    With about seven acres of "lawn" out front, lawnmowers are a high priority for us, and I spend much time and work keeping the several different sorts needed, running and keeping spindle bearings in them.  We live right on a creek, and have to deal with stumps and other such things, including wetlands, and working right up to the edge without falling over and in.  I generally have at least three different types of lawn tractors I'm maintaining at any given time, and one is always either "down", or about to go down, usually for worn and then broken parts if I don't catch it in time.
    I expect the cylinders back home any day now, and will start on pistons for each, once they come home, but will get on with the cam, and finishing up the oil pumps as soon as I can.  (that break taking my old flame sucker that never ran, and getting it running didn't help the time table any, but it sure helped my ego and piece of mind a lot).  With a bit of luck I should have some good pictures to post in the next day or two, and get moving forward.  I can't express my full appreciation for all the interest shown, and the ample encouragement.  More soon :headbang: mad jack

ozzie46:
What happened to this thread?

Ron

krv3000:
 work well dune

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version