The Shop > Electronics & IC Programing

Recharging non-rechargeable batteries

<< < (2/8) > >>

Bernd:
Thanks Andy. Looks like I'll be digging through my "junk" electronics box for a suitable transformer.

Bernd

dsquire:
Bernd

I'm not going to  :poke:  about this but am just curious if you ever got around to trying this battery charger. If nothing else it will restart the thread and get looked at by some new members. I am thinking of trying it as I have a few batteries that could use a bit of a jolt to bring them back to life.  :lol: :lol:

Cheers  :beer:

Don

AdeV:
Glad you resurrected this one, I'd forgotten all about it, despite having seen similar circuits (and, indeed, commercial devices) before now...

One question (to Andy) - what happens if you accidentally leave your AA's on for, say, a week? Do they eventually explode, or do they just sit there & nothing much happens...?

andyf:

--- Quote from: AdeV on January 12, 2011, 03:32:59 PM ---One question (to Andy) - what happens if you accidentally leave your AA's on for, say, a week? Do they eventually explode, or do they just sit there & nothing much happens...?

--- End quote ---

Haven't a clue, Ade. I doubt they would blow up - I think the cells are vented * so they would just leak, but I don't really know.

I set the charger up in the kitchen after breakfast, using the socket normally occupied by my coffee machine. The charger has to be unplugged in the evening, because I can't stay awake until bed-time without a coffee after dinner. I suppose I could lash up a timer, but can't be bothered.

* 50+ years ago, the zinc chloride carbon ones weren't vented. As a kid, I chucked a dead one on the living-room fire. Boom! Live coals all over the carpet, and no pocket money that week  :( .

Andy

John Swift:
Hi Andy  ,

I've only recharged "non-rechagealbe" batterys using a  DC supply

this works well IF they are only partly used 

I think the charger you describe was in Practical Wireless or E.T.I when I first read it
but never got round to trying it

if I  remember correctly the asymmetric ac  current is supposed to improve the re-plating
of the cathode during the recharging

alkaline batterys and the likes of ever ready zinc carbon batterys worked  OK

but cheap makes of zinc carbon battery
 with the thin zinc case would'nt be , they leak the first time you use them

John 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version