Author Topic: Mill Comparisons  (Read 7718 times)

Offline Chuck in E. TN

• USAF Retired
Mill Comparisons
« on: December 10, 2009, 06:14:28 AM »
Over the Holiday break (I work for a public school) I will be looking at and comparing all the Mini Mills to compare features, comes with, and prices. I’m hoping to score a deal on a sale somewhere.
I have followed many threads discussing the features of this brand and that, understand the differences between R8 and MT3 spindle tapers, etc. Would prefer an X3 but probably can only afford (or talk the wife into) an X2.
I do still have questions. First, is the mill comparison on LMS all on the X2 type?
Second, is there a similar comparison for X3 type mills?
So far, I lean toward MicroMark as I have their 7 x 14 lathe. But if rumors come true about HF offering a 25% coupon, HF it is.
I’m trying to complete my metal shop in preparation for retirement…in a few years.
Has anyone compiled a list of X3 mills by brand part #’s. The various websites don’t use X2 or X3 designations.
I thought Christmas had come early when I found a HF 40939 for $600.00 but couldn’t get enough info from the seller to make a decision before he sold it to someone else.
Chuck in E. TN
Famous TN last words: "Hey ya'll, watch this..."
MicroMark 7x14, HF X2 mill, Green 4x6 saw. Harbor Freight 170A mig

Offline Richard48

Re: Mill Comparisons
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2009, 06:29:01 AM »
Hi Chuck.

Have a look at www.minimill.com . He has done a right up on the X2 and X3 and has also done some comparisons of the different X2’s out there.

Good luck,
Richard
Richard, Northern NY

Offline Chuck in E. TN

• USAF Retired
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 06:32:37 AM »
I went there, but looks like the domain has been 'parked'.
Chuck in E. TN

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 09:33:01 AM »
Chuck,

I have the Grizzly version of the X2, G8689 Mini Mill. Have had it for several years. There have been several write ups on it's inprovement. One major one I did was change the 16 tpi lead screws to 20 tpi lead screws sold by Micro Mark. That makes the X and Y slides true inch. The other major improvememnt on this machine will be adding the belt drive and getting rid of the plastic gears used to drive the spindle.

I've done some model building and am quite pleased with it's performence. As I said there are many more changes people have made to these machines to improve them.

This will be the next machine for an overhaul once I've got my Grizzly lathe done.

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

tumutbound

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2009, 11:49:09 AM »
I went there, but looks like the domain has been 'parked'.

Try www.mini-lathe.com and follow the links the the various mill reviews.

There also some good info on the X2 and X3 models over at crevicereamer.com/Home_Page.html
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 11:51:38 AM by tumutbound »

Offline Chuck in E. TN

• USAF Retired
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2009, 08:33:25 AM »
As they say, Santa came early, and I purchased a used X2 HF mill with several accessories. It included a 4"vse, clamping kit, belt drive, R8 collett set,digital scales, DRO mount, and gooseneck lamp.
The seller had removed the DRO-350 to install on his upgrade mill, so anyone having a DRO-350 they don't need please contact me.
Currently, the X2 is in 2 pieces in my truck as I'm visiting family over the holidays, and it's colder than a well digger's bumm here in upstate NY. Can't wait to get my new toy back to TN.
Thanks for all the input, suggestions and links... I will be doing my homework, and my first task is tramming when I put it back together.
Merry Christmas and a safe and Happy New Year to all.

Chuck
Chuck in E. TN

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2009, 11:49:58 AM »
You won`t be disappointed - they are an excellent machine. You may want to go bigger at some point but in actual fact, I`ve not found it limiting for the work I`ve been doing!

Offline Harry Eales

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2010, 11:22:37 AM »
I agree with Craynerd,

The X2 is an excellent machine, but be warned you can spend more on good tooling than the machine actually cost.

You'll need a good clamping kit, a descent swivel vice, collets in various sizes or a collet holder with a set of collets to suite. A good range of Imperial and metric Drills. Slitting saw holder, I face cutter (mine is 50mm dia. with four replaceable tips). A hat full of end mills, slot drills and other cutters. You may even have to make your own tools for some jobs.

The Stirling Steele belt drive is brilliant, it does away with gear breakage, I also added precision lead screws from:-

http://www.fignoggle.com/kits/acmekit.htm

and that really reduced back lash. Nothing breaks a tool or mars a job faster than backlash.

You also have to add a Dial Test Indicator and a magnetic stand for it, a variety of parallels, I could go on for another half hour. lol.

Some of my work can be seen here:- http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k206/Rifleman_01/

Sorry about the quality of the pictures, I am to photography what Adolf Hitler was to World Peace.

Harry

« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 11:43:31 AM by Harry Eales »

Offline BobWarfield

• CNC Cookbook
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2010, 11:16:00 AM »
If there was ever any doubt about what an X2 can do, take a look at www.hossmachine.info.

Full CNC, with an automatic tool changer, and Heaven only knows what all else!

That stuff is so cool, I've even wished to play with an X2, and I've got an RF-45.

Cheers,

BW
Try G-Wizard Machinist's Calculator for free:  http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCGWizard.html