The Shop > Electronics & IC Programing

need help with my pump!

(1/8) > >>

ieezitin:
Gentlemen.

My knowledge of electronics is very limited and I would like some advice on what is wrong with my pump. This is an industrial submersible pump and today I needed to pump out a field on my farm as we have had so much water I need to get rid of it or it will spoil my pasture.

The symptoms are this. Pump hums when power is applied and seems to be drawing so much power, the spindle starts then locks but if hit with a screwdriver the shaft takes off at full speed then rotates at full speed but the housing gets very hot then overloads the fuse which in turn shuts down. This is an oil enclosed pump and by the time the fuse goes the unit is too hot to touch.

The specs are this 3/4 hp, FLA 10.5, RPM3450, 60HTZ, 1 PH

All ideas are welcome.   I thank you in advance.  Anthony.

one_rod:
This sounds like a tight or seizing bearing. If you spin the rotor by hand with the power off does it feel rough or sound noisy? If so then there are two options.
If it is an expensive pump, it may be worth finding out how feasible it is to change the bearings. However, it's sometimes a horribly fiddly job on small rotors like that so if it is a cheap pump it may be better to simply replace the pump.

The only other possibility is a fault on the start capacitor or start winding on the stator.
Check the bearings first, if it's not them I will run you through the method for testing the electrics.

Best of luck.

one_rod.

ieezitin:
One rod.

Well. When the power is off I rotate the spindle and it feels slightly lumpy but smooth if that makes sense .Bearings seem ok at least the top set but not have dug in the bottom of the casting   This unit has not been ran for over a year that maybe of some interest.

75Plus:
In the picture of the capacitor the end appears to be slightly convex. This may just be the camera angle but if it is convex that is a pretty good indication of a bad capacitor. The end cap on new caps are perfectly flat.

Joe

Darren:
My guess would be the starting capacitor as well. It's a cheap part so worth changing to see  :thumbup:

Have a look to see if the old one has any numbers on it. The voltage rating is important, you can replace with a higher voltage rating but not lower. The uf rating is not so critical, something close should do.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version