The Shop > Electronics & IC Programing

getting started with electronics

<< < (2/15) > >>

Rob.Wilson:
Thanks Lads

Dave ,, i will look into getting the Everyday Electronics mag had a look on the site looks a good place to start ,,cheers

Jhon ,,, i have book marked the site allot of good stuff there too ,thanks

B you lost me at GE PLC  :doh:

Bernd ,,,not the wrong question to ask ,,but a good one ,,i have two projects in mined first ,,i have a couple of  12v DC motors that i would like to use for power feeds on my mill/drill ,,so i would like to make some thing to control the speed of the motor

and the second is ,i have a small R/T that i would like to convert to CNC ,,so i would need a driver card for motor the on that ,,,I NO these are not newby projects but thats what i am aming for ,,so i will start with some smaller projects firts

I found this on the net last night ,EPL500 - 500 in 1 Electronic Project Lab,could you please have a look at it ,and let me no what you think  http://www.quasarelectronics.com/maxitronix/epl500-500-in-1-electronic-project-lab-mx-909.htm

Many thanks Rob

John Rudd:
Rob,

Thats a serious amount of money to spend for what you get..... :scratch:

Are there any tech colleges nearby that run basic electronic courses for beginners? That would be a good start....How about GCSE courses either in books or online?

How about Amazon or Play.com for learning resources...?

If you buy books and apply the learnings into practice you may well pick it up quickly...Besides I'm sure that between us all, we can help with any issues you have on the way....

BTW I'm self taught....but that dont make me an expert  :coffee:

andyf:
The kit seems an awful lot of money for a pile of components, most of which would cost pence each, and some instruction books. It covers a lot that you may not be interested in, like audio and radio stuff.

Bearing in mind your wish to build a couple of 12 volt dc motor controllers, it might be a good idea to buy a kit for one of those - the same people sell Velleman kits, and the K8004 looks like it might do the trick. You would need a cheap multimeter, small soldering iron + solder, some lightweight wire snips to trim component leads after soldering them into place, and a reasonably beefy transformer power supply. As you probably won't want to traverse both the X and the Y axes of your mill simultaneously, it should be possible to use one controller and switch it to the relevant motor.

This might be a cheaper way to get started, with the idea of producing something you are actually going to use - if you build it right. Even if you buy the kit, you will eventually need the multimeter, soldering iron etc when it comes to building something practical, rather than just experimenting by plugging components into sockets on a "breadboard".

Andy

Bluechip:
Rob,

I agree with John. £180 is a lot to splash out IMHO. I suggest you start with some of the resistor/capacitor packs from Rapid electronics or the like, and some small Stripboard. There are many websites giving basic circuits to build, with just a few cheap ic's etc. You need a soldering iron with a small +/- 1mm tip, and a meter. For about £30 you will be away ... My own personal opinion, is, I don't like breadboards. I accept a lot of folk do, I always seem to get intermittent shorts from crossing component leads. Thus squandering my allocation of profanities.

That EPE mag has, in the past, done a 'Teach In' series. I don't know if they still do, or if one is planned. They used to appear about every 2 yrs or so, they MAY be on one of their CD's.

Despite what Bernd said, IMO that is the right question to ask. ( I'm sure it was a bit tongue in cheek  :D ). Without an effective grasp of the basic Ohms Law etc., nothing will make any sense. Particularly for DC stuff. The AC is more abstruse, and you can probably get way without it for an absolute beginner.

Sending a PM ..

PS You have realised that £180 is very close to 120 litres of Becks Bier from Sainsburys .... :lol:

Dave BC

EDIT Crossed post with Andy, repeated some of his observations ... Sorry ..

Bernd:

--- Quote from: Bluechip on December 28, 2009, 07:44:58 AM ---Despite what Bernd said, IMO that is the right question to ask. ( I'm sure it was a bit tongue in cheek  :D ).
Dave BC

--- End quote ---

Well, ya, sort of tonge in check  :)  , But that's me.  :ddb:

Bernd

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version