Author Topic: Mrs Claus came early  (Read 4099 times)

Offline jatt

• chookshed engineer
Mrs Claus came early
« on: December 19, 2009, 05:55:24 PM »
Hi all,

Just picked up my new addition, a portable bandsaw.  Since my birthday is coming up soon as well it was decided to combine the 2 to heavily subsidise the latest purchase.  Its the first bandsaw I have owned or even used, so it is real kid in the toy shop stuff.  Spent quite a bit of time drooling over it in the shop over the last few months.

Was looking around at one for a while to find one that was compact.  Have enuf floor standing stuff to find room for as it is.

Weighs in at about 20 Kg and fits in easily across an 800 wide bench.  Have put a drill battery on the table to give an idea of size.  Great cause it can be easily stashed away when not in use.  Floor space in the shed runs out real fast when I have to work on a caravan or trailer.

The only potential prob I can see so far is the cable in foto 2 was awfully close to the blade when I did my pre flight checks on this machine.  When the warranty runs out will fix this potential issue, ie secure some more clamps to keep it from harm.  Can only assume without disassembly the switch runs at 240V.

Unlike larger machines their isnt enuf weight in the casting to let gavity do its thing when cutting.  Supplying light pressure seems to do the trick.

Has the usual cut up to 45 deg adjustment.  Cant set it up to lock in the vertical position, but if for some reason I find a need to do this, then a mod should be easy enuf to do.

Couldnt glean much info from the broken English from German translation on suitable blade tension, or whether any oil etc.. should be applied to the felt that surrounds the blade.  Am hoping the collective could help me out here.

The vise feels quite sturdy, definetlely better than the switches.  Dont think I will have too much trouble fixing then when they eventually call it quits.  For the price I'm not compaining too much.

From an early age my father taught me to wear welding gloves . "Its not to protect your hands son, its to put out the fire when u set yourself alight".

Forget about the price of gold and oil, its the price of beer that matters.

tumutbound

Re: Mrs Claus came early
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009, 07:02:32 PM »
That's not a bad looking machine. Where did you get it?
It's more compact than the small ones that Hare and Forbes sell.
The more metal work I do, the more I see a need for a bandsaw. Space is at a premium in my workshop though.

Offline jatt

• chookshed engineer
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2009, 08:27:40 PM »
Can I assume that "tumutbound" means u are living in Tumut NSW.

Got it thru my local Aussie Industrial Supplies store, thats the name of the buying group, not the actual stores name. 

Model BS-85

It's more compact than the small ones that Hare and Forbes sell.
  Yeah looked at those too.  Its the most compact one I have seen to date.  Would happily sit under a bench when not in use.

There is a good store location finder on the AIS site.  Also saw it on the Garrick Herbert OZ site
From an early age my father taught me to wear welding gloves . "Its not to protect your hands son, its to put out the fire when u set yourself alight".

tumutbound

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2009, 08:32:16 PM »
Can I assume that "tumutbound" means u are living in Tumut NSW.

One day. I'm still in Sydney trying to save enough to retire.

I'll give Garrick Herbert a ring  tomorrow.

Offline jatt

• chookshed engineer
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2009, 08:58:00 PM »
Interesting to see how much they want for it, that is if they will sell to u directly.

Paid $570 for mine.  Will admit I didnt do the usual research on this item before purchase.  Didnt see it anywhere else prior to purchase.

Got a saw place just down the road.  So far their pricing on circular blades hasnt been too bad, so when the time comes for a new blade then will do all the usual comparisons.  One thing I'm fairly confident of though is their blades will be of a better quality than most of the Chinese stuff.

Offline jatt

• chookshed engineer
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2009, 08:59:37 PM »
Oops nearly forgot.  Garrick Model no.   BS-85