Gallery, Projects and General > The Design Shop

6X26 Milling Machine riser block

(1/3) > >>

cjoscelyn:
I have a 6X26 that I have extensively modified over the last two years. The X axis travel has been extended from 15' to 20 5/8", the Y axis from 6" to 8 1/2", power feed, DRO, 3 phase/VFD and Tachometer. I love this mill and now want to add more capability/capacity.

At one time I had a drawing that gave the dimensions of the column and head diameters/spigots so a riser block could be made. Evidently I have lost the drawing and I'm hoping someone here would have one I could copy. In addition, I'm hoping that this site having so many UK members would also be a source for drawing or sketch of the epicylic gear box that was used on the Dore-Westbury mill.

The reason I posted the requests here in the design section is that if I can get the above references I'll need help putting the information all together and comining up with a horizontal spindle that resides in the riser block for the vertical head. The motor/gearbox would be at the rear of the riser attached to a cartridge type 30 taper spindle. The outboard support for the horizontal arbor would be part of an R-8 adaptor held in the vertical spindle.

Have I lost everyone yet? I have been viewing this site for a while and there appears to be some real talent here. The above ideas are just that, ideas. I hope to read some of yours.

Thanks, Charlie

andyf:
Hi Charlie,

For the DW Mk 2 drawings and build instructions, join the Yahoo DWmills Group http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dwmill/ and look in the Files section.  The DW Mk 2 gearbox with helical gears and oilbath is superior to that on the DW Mk 1 (my machine) with its standard Myford gears, but at least the gears or mine can easily be sourced. Though DW Mk 1 construction details are in its Files, the Group has no Mk 1 drawings. Don't be misled by the file labelled "Light Vertical Milling Machine.pdf - DW Mk1 contruction articles and drawings" - that actually deals with the original, no gears, Westbury.

I have the DW Mk 1 drawings, though - if I can help, contact me at andyf1108$yahoo.co.uk, substituting "@" for the dollar sign (I'm paranoid on public forums).

Andy

Davo J:
I am not sure if you can see it with out being a member of the 6x26 group or not, but here are the drawings of the riser.
http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/cAksSwHRypJOi_exAjgPbCB95I2clswUeraIoJuBVW19Wm7xS4V2Yuv4RhUo_nmZeUfHCHeBhRdZQeUgsELq6bWibEh8W_SKW88/RISER%20BLOCK.pdf
Dave

cjoscelyn:
Thanks Andy and Dave. I was a member of the Yahoo 6X26 group but can't get back on. I'm going to try and register as a new user to see if that will work. If it does, I'll join the Dore-Westbury as well.
Again, thanks

Xldevil:
Hello Charlie.
I own the german version of that mill.So far,I add a DRO and a phase converter to it and now I´m going to make a riser block.
And I´m thinking about a power feed for the X-axis
How did you modify the X- and Y-axes´s travel?
Regards,Ralph

This picture has been made before I bought that mill.It´s looking slightly better now.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version